The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eminence EPS-15C
Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 12:44 am    

The Black Widow in my Nashville had a crappy recone job done to it. My amp guy said that the voice coil wasn't mounted correctly, and he tried to get it right but it still buzzes like crazy. So, I'm looking at a new 15" for it. I'm looking at the Eminence EPS-15C - $199.99 new. Anyone tried these, or have a better suggestion? Would an old JBL sound better? Or a new BW? I've heard a buzz about Altec-Lansings as well. Appreciate input.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 4:31 am    

Bobby, I put an EPS-15C in my NV400 and I'm really pleased with it. Sure lightened up the amp too. 10lbs lighter.
Ron
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 5:35 am    

Thanks Ronald.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 9:09 am    

I've been using one for several years, with a separate amp and not a Peavey amp. I tried it with my NV112 and it sounded great. It wouldn't fit inside the NV112 cabinet or I would have replaced the stock amp with the EPS-15C.

A background on the EPS-15C. It was designed to be a direct, lighter weight, replacement for the Peavey 1501-4 BW speaker that is used in the later (1989 and on) NV400's and all NV1000's.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 9:32 am    

You can get a replacement basket for the BW and use the magnet that you have.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 3:41 pm    

That's interesting Jack. I'm not certain, but my NV is probably one of the newer ones - the weight thing is a seller. I think I'll look into seeing if I can get the BW factory reconed, and I can compare the two - and just have one on hand.

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 4:21 pm    

Bobby, take the magnet off your BW speaker and make sure the "dust sponge" hadn't dry rotted. I had that with my Nashville 400

Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 5:21 pm    

Rubbing alcohol does a great job of removing that powdered rubber. Make sure and clean the gap before installing the new cone.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 12:07 am    

Thanks John and Jim.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 9:05 am    

John Swain wrote:
Bobby, take the magnet off your BW speaker and make sure the "dust sponge" hadn't dry rotted. I had that with my Nashville 400

Same thing here. The BW in my Session 400 developed a wicked buzz and I assumed it was blown. I replaced it with a EPS-15c (which I'm happy with) Later, I got to messing around with the BW, and realized the sponge foam filter had crumbled, causing debris to get wedged between the coil and magnet. A little careful work with a vacuum, cotton swab, and rubbing alcohol made the speaker good as new. Since I like the EPS-15c and it's a few lbs lighter, I just made a cabinet for the BW so I can use it as an extension if needed.

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 10:05 am    

Hi, I have the EPS12C in my nashville 112... it sounds great and makes my amp much lighter.

Warren Tavernia

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2017 8:01 pm     eminence ep15c

I suggest a telonics 15 they are the same price and come already broken in, just instal and play . I wouldn`t recomend any thing else.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2017 6:41 pm    

The voice coil groove in the BW magnet needs to be clean too. I use a business card with masking tape wrapped around it backwards, sticky side out. You'll be surprised at the crud that can get down in that groove.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.