The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap steel guitar -- with a twist
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 4:32 am    

How important is it for a lap steel's strings to be perfectly square and on the same plane from nut to bridge?

I have come across an instrument for a good price that, aside from a neck that's twisted about 10 degrees from its butt end to its headstock, is in decent condition.

Seems to me that, due to the very nature of the instrument, the condition described above may not be a deal breaker, since intonation is affected more by bar placement and hand-ear coordination than anything else.

Any and all opinions and comments will be appreciated.

Aaron Jennings

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 7:56 am    

I suspect a Luther could make a compensated nut/saddle depending on the construction of the instrument.

If the strings are not level with eachother you could have a hard time playing more than a single string at a time - or it may make muting difficult.

Lee D Kaiser

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 9:22 am    

A compensated nut is an interesting idea.

If the strings are in line at the nut and also at the end, then they'll be in a line along any fret, so I think it would play OK.

Ten degrees is a pretty big twist over a scale length of 23" or so, and it must be pretty visible. Even if it was playable, that twist would drive me crazy.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 9:27 am    

Maybe Chubby Checker could use it? Laughing

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 10:34 am    

Jack,
Not sure this information will help, depending on the actual twist. I have purchased more than 1 vintage 7 string instrument with the nut for the 7th string filed for a very thin or for a very heavy 7th string, depending on the tuning used by the previous owner. Of course, I don't like to change or modify vintage instruments, especially when they are fairly rare. Generally, my 7th string is .042, not very thin or very heavy. I have been able to play these instruments fairly easily by just remembering to adjust the bar pressure fairly close to the nut. I suggest that you try the instrument before purchase, if possible, and the twist may not be a real problem.

C. E. Smile
A6 tuning for steels