The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jensen P15N
John Neff

Athens, GA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 6:34 pm    

I just had my BF Dual Showman head spiffed up, and am awaiting delivery of a new 2X12 cab which is being built. I have this P15N from an Ampeg combo, so I put it in a Telonics cab. OMG - it sounds amazing! "Aggressive highs" is a good description, but not shrill. Why do I not hear more about these for steel? It nails that classic country tone like nothing else I've played through, including JBLs.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 8:35 pm    

A few reasons:

1. New ones are not the same speaker as the originals. Recoton bought trademarks and product numbers but doesn't make identical speakers and many don't care for the new ones.

2. As far as vintage ones go, while they were originally 50 watt speakers and could handle around 40-50 watts clean (since the slightest distortion increases heat and raises what the speaker "sees") by now they've lost appx 25-35% of the original power handling whether they've been used or not - glues and paper age. So by now they can only handle 26-37-ish watts clean each. This makes them a bit problematic in any steel guitar amps - at least if there's a chance the amp may be cranked up a bit.

3: They're not considered tight, high-headroom speakers and tend to compress/break up earlier than most speakers used for pedal steel. Unless the steel is played at fairly low volume the wide frequency range of some steel chords hits speakers very hard, and these (whether vintage or new types) are not engineered to hold up under that kind of use.

Hope that helps.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

John Neff

Athens, GA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 4:56 am    

Thanks for the info, Jim. I'll be careful to not blow it.