The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Should I go to a steel guitar show?
Stephen Rethmeier

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 7:16 am    

I've only been playing for a short time, so steel guitar shows haven't been on my radar. However, I just saw the announcement about the Phoenix show in January and was wondering what these are like?

I've been to the Anaheim NAMM show a couple times, and really felt like I'd seen (and heard) everything I wanted to see in one long day. After that, the best part was the music at night around the area. I suspect a steel show would be different, but can I get some feedback on what they are like, what happens there, and how many people usually attend?

For those of you who have gone or are planning to go, do you typically plan to attend all 3 days? I understand there is live pedal steel being played, but for what? Instructional demos or entertainment? Are there workshops and sessions, or is it just one large display/vendor area with a cacophony of noise--like NAMM only with mostly pedal steel sounds? Does it carry on into the evening or shut down at 5 like NAMM?

I'm leaning toward going in January, but just want to get a feel for what to expect and how many days to plan for. Thanks.
Williams S12 Ext. E9 keyless, Williams S12 Ext. E9 keyed, Telonics TCA 500C, Quilter Steelaire, Magic Fender clone, 1937 Model 59 Rick 6, 1940 Epiphone 7-string Zephyr, Oahu 6, 8+/- regular guitars, Kawai baby grand, two cats...

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 8:09 am    

Definitely go. I have never been to one either, but know a little of what goes on.

There are concerts by many of the area and nations best players. Those usually aren't instructional but just for entertainment.

There is usually at least one seminar by a top player/instructor. These usually cost extra.

You will see many vendors display their products and possibly let you try their products.

The shows normally draw hundreds of people, depending on the show. You will have the opportunity to meet several other players.

Just the feeling of commaradery at any steel guitar event is worth attending.

I would definitely go all 3 days. There is a chance that I will be moving to Texas in the near future. That will make it easy for me to attend the Dallas show.

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 8:41 am    

Stephen (and Richard).... you should definitely go! It's an incredible show and just a great opportunity to meet and hear a ton of great players and newbies alike! Check out the SWSGA site: http://www.swsteelguitar.com/events.htm It's a pretty good idea to book a room early!

Also Stephen, there's an open jam in Vista CA (North San Diego Country) on Saturday, 9/30 and Sunday 10/1. This jam will be at the Vista Elks lodge #1968, located at 1947 Vista Way in Vista, California. Trust me, you should go to this too! You'll be welcome whether you play or not. They usually start pretty early... like 9AM-ish

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 9:49 am    

Stephen, if you can come, by all means make it. We start at 9:00AM Thurs, Fri and Sat and Finish at midnight. You have seen the list of players and we will be having seminars, 3 I believe which are available.. We will list them as soon as the finals are made. It has turned into a family reunion type get together for me. Seeing old friends and meeting new ones. We swill have vendors such as Telonics, Mullen and others to show their new equipment which will be available for trials..
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 10:54 am    

Steel shows are pure entertainment . Sure you can look at new guitars and even try some of them out. You won't find guys demoing pedals that make a steel sound like a jet plane . Just great music by great players. You will leave there either enthused or depressed . By all means go.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 3:12 pm    

Bill Moran wrote:
Steel shows are pure entertainment . Sure you can look at new guitars and even try some of them out. You won't find guys demoing pedals that make a steel sound like a jet plane . Just great music by great players. You will leave there either enthused or depressed . By all means go.

Dang Bill. I was planning on bringing the jet plane emulator I developed.

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 4:47 pm    

Dang Bill. I was planning on bringing the jet plane emulator I developed.[/quote]

You don't need to Richard. I bought one from you. Don't you remember ?

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 5:49 pm    

Plus you can buy strings, accessories, seats, CDs, instructional material, etc. It is definitely NOT like the cacaphony of a NAMM show on one big open floor. Do it.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 4:57 am    

Do it!! You will be glad you did. We look forward to hearing about your experience.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 5:15 am    

If you have an opportunity to attend a steel show you must go. Anything for a steel guitar will most likely be there. You will love the music and hear some great playing. The fellowship with other players and making friends is a great bonus. Most likely you will leave wanting to attend another one.

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 6:37 am     Steel shows

GO.......I've been to several and always learned something at each show..... Very Happy Very Happy

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 6:45 am    

Absolutely

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 7:43 am     shows

yes yes yes. go to Dallas show in march you see the best of the best. i haven't been to a show since 2010
but i am going to Dallas show and the Wisconsin show this year. you wont be disappointed

p.w

Stephen Rethmeier

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 10:42 am    

Welp, you've talked me into it. I'll try to Phoenix one in January and see how it goes. Thanks for all the input.
Williams S12 Ext. E9 keyless, Williams S12 Ext. E9 keyed, Telonics TCA 500C, Quilter Steelaire, Magic Fender clone, 1937 Model 59 Rick 6, 1940 Epiphone 7-string Zephyr, Oahu 6, 8+/- regular guitars, Kawai baby grand, two cats...

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 12:41 pm    

Don't do it. I've been to a bunch of them. They're awful, just a bunch of old guys playing "Steel Guitar Rag" and "A Way to Survive" ad infinitum, you'll hate it.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 12:51 pm    

Cartwright Thompson wrote:
They're awful, just a bunch of old guys playing "Steel Guitar Rag" and "A Way to Survive" ad infinitum...

You say that like it's a bad thing... Wink

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 1:40 pm    

I think Cartwright has a sense of humor. Not everyone is old nor do the all play Steel Guitar Rag. You will hear Way To Survive more than likely. Fellowship is awesome

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 3:11 pm    

Phoenix seems to be the place where you're likely to not hear SGR or A Way To Survive.
Some really good diversity in the material that gets played. Just ask anyone who's been there a few times.
Looking forward to it again in January.
see ya there...

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 5:00 pm    

January may be the only time you'll catch Phoenix natives donning their snowmobile suits as the visitors amble around in tee-shirts and flip-flops.

Stephen Rethmeier

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 7:06 am    

Rick Schmidt wrote:
Also Stephen, there's an open jam in Vista CA (North San Diego Country) on Saturday, 9/30 and Sunday 10/1. This jam will be at the Vista Elks lodge #1968, located at 1947 Vista Way in Vista, California. Trust me, you should go to this too! You'll be welcome whether you play or not. They usually start pretty early... like 9AM-ish

Rick--meant to thank you for this. I might be able to go down to this on the 1st.

Everyone else--I booked a room in Phoenix for the show. I think I'm looking forward to it. Very Happy

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 12:15 pm    

Good. You would have regretted it later... Cool

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 8:21 am    

Between 2000 and 2007 the late Jess Hurt would do a PSG show here in Toledo. He'd invite a bunch of great players to come up and for $10 I'd get a chance to see some truly great pickers - DeWitt Scott, Herby Wallace, Mike Sigler, Bobbe Seymour, Joe Wright and many others. Often they'd bring a table of tab, CDs and stuff including new PSG's to gawk at or purchase. The shows were excellent fun and I miss them tremendously these days... Go, you will not regret it!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 6:09 pm    

I've been to a few, & the only problem with shows is that after a couple days, you are totally STEELED OUT! I mean you don't wanna hear another note! Steel is like frosting on a cake; too much & it loses something. I think it was Buddy who said "Always leave them wanting more". Doesn't happen at a steel show.

There used to be a good one in Florida; Heywood Henson I think, but there ain't been one here in a few years.

Jeffery Self

Spring City,Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 9:26 pm    

Rich Upright wrote:
I've been to a few, & the only problem with shows is that after a couple days, you are totally STEELED OUT! I mean you don't wanna hear another note! Steel is like frosting on a cake; too much & it loses something. I think it was Buddy who said "Always leave them wanting more". Doesn't happen at a steel show.

There used to be a good one in Florida; Heywood Henson I think, but there ain't been one here in a few years.

Rich is absolutely right Mr. Green But DEFINITELY go Cool you won't regret it!

Back in the early 90's before Heywood put on his shows, Larry Self put them on around the DeBary, New Smyrna Beach area, and let me tell you, just the opportunity to meet and hear these guy's live was incredible. To be able to shake hands and hear things from the likes of people such as Jimmy Day, Jeff Newman, Hal Rugg, Lynn Owsley, Bobbe Seymour, John Hughey, Doug Jernigan, Herby Wallace, the list is endless and alot of these greats have left us.

What you will gain from your going will surely be worth the while. It should certainly broaden your view of a lot of different STEEL related things, and generally fine groups of people. Sorry for the ramble, Oh Well Yes, GO.

Rich, I think you may have visited that little Music Store in DeBary Question I've never met you but if I'm not mistaken I think you purchased a steel from Larry sometime back then. Idea And besides Rich you gotta like a lot of frosting on your cake
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Like David just noted "The shows were excellent fun and I miss them tremendously these days."

Jeff

Remembering Larry Self (1936-2014)

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 4:37 pm    

"Rich, I think you may have visited that little Music Store in DeBary Question I've never met you but if I'm not mistaken I think you purchased a steel from Larry sometime back then."

You got a great memory, Jeff! Yes; I did indeed buy my LeGrande from Larry at "The Music Store", and I still have it!