The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The"Corn Neck"
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 4:53 am    

When I started out playing pedal steel guitar a couple of people that I knew called the E9th neck the "Corn Neck"i haven't heard that term in many years...anyone else familiar with this ?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 5:54 am     Corn neck

Papa John said Kroger neck....puts the grocerys on the table.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 5:54 am    

Haven't heard it called the "Corn Neck", but I've heard it called the Kroger neck a lot.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 6:09 am    

When I first came to TX for a visit in 1967, I went to a large music store in Dsllas and there was a single neck Sho-Bud on display. The salesman said it was in the "corn" tuning, meaning E9. He said that all the "good" players in Dallas "are playing Bb."

I was very inexperienced in those days, living in CA, not into western swing at all, and had no idea what he was talking about! Laughing

On one gig I did with Dale, when I went to the C6, he called it the "2-week neck"..., as in "2 week's notice." Laughing

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 6:38 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:

On one gig I did with Dale, when I went to the C6, he called it the "2-week neck"..., as in "2 week's notice." Laughing

LMAO Herb

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 6:55 am    

Oh that's funny Herb Very Happy...Oh by the way (I was going over some of your instructional material the other night, love it)

I'd imagine Corn Neck was probably a Mid West Term, meaning putting corn on the table??? or;
Used from the ralph mooney/james burton album 'Corn pickin'??

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 7:39 am    

I get the thing about the "2-week neck". Regular tenor trombone I can pick up and go - for the alto I need two weeks notice, preferably more Smile

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 7:55 am    

Corny comedy and unnecessary twang is what comes to mind

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 8:03 am    

That was a common term used in Nashville when I was there in the early 70's. The "corn" was what "paid the bills". I went to several jam sessions and one rule for song selection was "no corn".

"Hoss" was another common term in Nashville at the time. You weren't called by name, just "Hoss".

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 3:00 pm    

"Hey, Hoss. How's yer mama an' them."

Laughing

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 7:31 pm    

that is funny, as a kid back in Croatia we called bands who played cheesy/wedding/farmer music "kuruza" which translates to English as "corn" .... I guess all musicians think alike no matter where they're from lol...

Butch Mullen

North Carolina, USA 28681
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2017 7:25 am    

Hey Herb, You spelt THEM wrong. It't NEM!!!Butch in NC

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2017 7:38 am    

Laughing

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2017 1:30 pm    

My friend Corky Owens and I called it the "Bread & Butter Neck". Here in Texas you could leave home without the C6th tuning but you better have E9th or least could make whatever you have sound like E9th.
I'm sure back in Bob Wills days it was the other way around. Jazz players with 14 strings and Zb tuning usually played in a small place with a dozen avid fans listening. I did most of my playing in Dallas for 20 years and the guy in the Melody Shop or Brook Mays didn't know what he was talking about as Herb implied. I engineered sessions and played bass on gigs with Maurice Anderson, Tom Morrell, Gary Carpenter, Gary Hogue, Junior Knight and everyone else and those guys played all kinds of tunings and number of strings. They would usually ask what kind of music the artist did so they would come prepared. No pro steel players that I know look down their nose at E9th, C6th, Bb Uni or any other tuning. They just play. Tell them what you want and leave it to them to find the right neck.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2017 2:09 pm    

Ha! around here when I came up, everyone called you Hoss. It has 2 meanings: It is a way of addressing a man you deem to be worthy of respect; and, in my case, It was the polite southern way of calling you fat boy haha.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2017 4:04 pm    

I take offense to someone calling me or someone else "Hoss" as well is "Son". What I hear in that is they are superior and I'm inferior to them. I worked for a famous entertainer that called everyone son. Even guys his own age. What a mightier than thou attitude.

Mule Ferguson

N Wilkesboro NC,
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 4:57 am    

Damir Besic wrote:
that is funny, as a kid back in Croatia we called bands who played cheesy/wedding/farmer music "kuruza" which translates to English as "corn" .... I guess all musicians think alike no matter where they're from lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQd2hHy7RbI

Kukuruz band from Russia performed here at the Merle Fest. I ask them what it meant. He said cornbread. In my teens I was in a local band my stage name was cornbread. Now it's Mule.
Emmons La Grande D10, Zum Encore, Multicord,Marlen S10 1972, Nashville 112, Evans HVP #2, Peavey Profex ll, Martin, Merle Travis D28M Bigsby Neck.
D28 Henderson, Dobro and Tut Bro. Fender Tele, Stelling Stagehorn Banjo

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 5:48 am    

I never thought or considered "hoss" or "son" as derogatory.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 6:31 am    

Maybe not Jack but addressing people by their official name does show a little more respect in my opinion. I make it a point to learn people's names whom I'm in constant contact with. I live in East Texas and if I said to a stranger downtown "Hey Hoss" and if his name wasn't Hoss I had better be ready to explain or possibly fight. I do have a Radio DJ friend nicknamed Hoss Huggins and his band was called Hoss & the Cartrights.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 6:48 am    

In the music industry in Nashville Hoss was commonly used. Not outside of the music industry as much.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 6:56 am    

I see. Well I passed on my chance to work in Nashville as an engineer in the 80's. I might have done the right thing Jack. Lol!

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 12:12 am    

When I started playing pedal steel there was a steel player in our area named Bobby Howe. There were a few of us in the area new to pedal steel and Bobby was our mentor. He was really into Curly Chalker and could play jazz chords on the C6 neck all over the place. He referred to the E9 neck as the "corn neck". Sadly Bobby stopped playing for quite awhile and when he got back into music he just concentrated on playing guitar and never got back into pedal steel. He is a gifted musician and I've always wished he would get back into being a steel player. Check out his youtube videos, you'll see what I mean.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 12:16 am    

When I started playing pedal steel there was a steel player in our area named Bobby Howe. There were a few of us in the area new to pedal steel and Bobby was our mentor. He was really into Curly Chalker and could play jazz chords on the C6 neck all over the place. He referred to the E9 neck as the "corn neck". Sadly Bobby stopped playing for quite awhile and when he got back into music he just concentrated on playing guitar and never got back into pedal steel. He is a gifted musician and I've always wished he would get back into being a steel player. Check out his youtube videos, you'll see what I mean.

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 1:11 pm     Corn Neck?

I heard that a few times back in the '70s when I first started playing steel. It was from the old timers, I found it amusing and a little silly. It's true that the "commercial" country bands, honky-tonk, shuffle style, two-step and waltzes kinda stuff want to hear E9 only, none of that hi-fautin jazz stuff. Makes sense to me, however, if you play universal, there's no distinction, there's one neck that does it all. Piano players, guitar players and all others don't have to hear that reprimand. But more to the point, this genre expects a certain sound and if you can nail that and do it with lots of soul, you'll stay busy, even today. Western swing is another thing altogether, you're expected to play lots of 6th and dominant 7 stuff, so jump on that ol' back neck. Band leaders will love you for it. Try to keep the volume down, would ya.