The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E9 Jazz?
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2014 12:09 pm    

Tom, I've just swapped from a D10 to a universal 12, but I've often thought that a uni 10 on the lines you mention would provide 90% of the fun you get on the C6. I've not been playing for long enough to get sentimentally attached to the 9th string D - I lower 8 and raise 9 - two for the price of none!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 10:57 am    

Change the tuning on string 9 and you lose the 2 easiest and most ubiquitous jazz chord voicings E9 tuning has to offer, 9-6-5A (E13 or a Bb7#9 open) and 9-7-6B-5A (Dmaj7 open). There is nothing awful in there if you wanted to rake across all 5 strings either. String 9 tuned to D is a keeper for me.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 2:33 pm    

Fred, thanks for posting those chords, I love them.
Just to play devils advocate for a moment, can't Uni players can do those same chords with a string 8 lower or B raises to D? (And no D string required)
John

Tom Mossburg

AZ,
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 6:14 pm     8th lower 9th raise

John, I use those two changes a lot. I think I got them from Jeff Newman back in the day. I lower my 8th to a D as opposed to the 9th string raise. I just prefer it that way. I like the sound you get with the lower going from the major to the 7th.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 8:26 pm    

John Goux wrote:
Fred, thanks for posting those chords, I love them.
Just to play devils advocate for a moment, can't Uni players can do those same chords with a string 8 lower or B raises to D? (And no D string required)
John

Yes, John. I just think it makes more sense to start with the thing that you want rather than having to go through a change to get there. I think I might have been referring to a comment about eliminating the D on a 10 string E9 neck and adding a low G#, to make it more "uni-like". That is a real head scratcher for me.

I am new to PSG, less than a year. Many things about E9 tuning and a simple 3x4 copedant have become clear and are starting to make perfect sense. Certain things about 12 string universal tuning just don't, and the thought of an 8x7 configuration doesn't help one bit.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 7:13 pm    

Fred Justice plays some nice Jazz on E9th. I love his version of "Shadow Of Your Smile" on E9th.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 10:00 am     e9 jazz

Curt, I'd say Blue Boss is the first jazz standard to tackle for anyone exploring that genre on E9. Think this way. Its C minor so E flat major covers the first 8 measures. The bridge is a D flat 251. Use the D flat major scale. You'll notice the obvious D minor 7th flat 5 to G7 as you return to the last measures again in C minor. Hope this helps.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 4:41 pm    

Here's my copeds, I play lots of jazz and standards on the Ext E9 setup..Larry Shocked