The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1970 Emmons Black Fatback PP 8X7
Michael Bate

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 9:14 am    

This fatback push-pull #1479-D was rebuilt by the late Bryan Adams and previously owned by Tommy Detamore. I purchased the guitar from Tommy in January, 2016, but now, unfortunately, I’m obliged to sell it.

The gloss black mica and aluminum are in excellent condition. The guitar is currently set up with 8 pedals and 7 knee levers. An Excel file of the copedent is here: https://app.box.com/s/wz6fy34a11cv2lgoxnjn15jt4051au3u

This guitar has the wider "60's-style" pedal spacing. It is fitted with Emmons pickups (E9: 17.5 k, C6: 17.5 k) and also comes with a set of Wallace True Tone pickups (E9: 17.2 k, C6: 17.5 k).

There is the so-called "fake split" installed that allows you to lower the 6th string to a tunable half-tone when used in conjunction with the A pedal. This is a great change to have and it works very well, and does not impact the action of the A pedal whatsoever.

The knee levers have tilt adjusting screws, so you can really fine tune the lever positions to suit. There are physical stops on all the knee levers as there should be for a positive feel. The guitar also has Grover 210 series tuners that are very smooth and solid. There is an idler installed on the 3rd pedal raise to slightly shorten its travel.

The guitar also has lightweight aluminum legs and gauged roller nuts.

As Tommy has stated, “this is a fantastic 'player's guitar.'" It is rock solid mechanically, and it sounds great and has better than average sustain, especially up high above the 12th fret. It plays very smoothly and positively.

A Thomas case in excellent condition is included. There is a D2F leg bag included.

The price of this guitar is $4500.00. I will pay for shipping.

PM or email me if you have any questions.

Last edited by Michael Bate on 12 Sep 2017 5:24 am; edited 6 times in total

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2016 8:07 pm    

I can't believe there are no replies. Has this guitar been sold by PM or email or is it still for sale? Beautiful guitar.

Michael Bate

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2016 1:51 am    

Hi, Larry, yes it is a beautiful guitar, but for some reason, no replies. Still for sale!

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2016 11:09 am     ?

In a brief statement can you tell me who Bryan Adams was. Thanks
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

Michael Bate

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2016 4:16 am    

Bryan had a reputation as was one of the best technicians in the business. Here's a section from his obituary, February 2013:

"[Bryan] was a world class steel guitar player and worked with such names as Little Jimmy Dickens, David Houston, Claude Gray and Ava Barber among others. He also did a lot of studio work, playing on recordings of the well known and not so well known.

"Bryan was also a world class steel guitar builder. He worked for the Emmons Guitar Company in North Carolina for many years. His work as a builder is highly praised by players all over the world."

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2016 5:40 am    

That's gotta be a tone monster. Not to mention its awesome looking.

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2016 8:37 am     Bryan Adams

Thank you Mr. Bate for that information. I had a member pm me a link that talked about Mr. Adams. I had seen a comment about Mr. Adams somewhere and I think it was Jerry Roller. I have heard of some past steel guitar people but not really about Mr. Adams. It appears he was a good builder. Again thanks and if I was actively playing somewhere, I think this Emmons would be a good one.
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2016 6:59 pm     Bryan

Bryan was a close friend of mine he was the best
we miss him so much he was "the man" the best
player and builder ive ever met all us guys around here loved and respected him so much

if you get this guitar that Bryan rebuilt it will be right for sure he wouldn't let one go unless it was
right

best of luck on your sell
mike Very Happy

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2017 5:14 am    

I bought a 1971 Emmons 8/10 that Bryan Adams restored and it plays as easy as any all pull guitar I've ever had and that includes Mullen and Fessenden. So far haven't had to tune any pulls whatsoever.

Michael Bate

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2017 6:04 pm     Emmons 1970 Fatback

Wonderful guitar but gotta sell. Price reduced by $500.

Arlan Schierbaum

Greece ~ Europe
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 1:31 am     ~ Interested in the PP

PM Sent ~ thank you ~ Arlan

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 8:59 am    

Wow, the best of the best. Fat backs sound great and I think the 70 Emmons is one of the best years made. Wish I wasn't broke.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Jeffrey Snyder

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 4:00 pm    

Torn between this one and a Mike Cass rebuild. Both outstanding guitars.
1973 Sho-Bud LDG-Round Front (3&4), 1976 Marlen D-10 (8&4), Emmons Legrande II (8&6), Marlen and Jim Dunlop Bars, Sho-Bud Volume, Emmons Volume, 1983 Peavey Nashville 400, 1989 Peavey Nashville 400, Quilter Steelaire, Catalinbread Belle Epoch Analog Delay, Peterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner, National and Herco Thumbpicks, National Fingerpicks

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 5:59 pm    

I have one, #1342 we call it Old Iron Sides as it is solid as a rock, Zero cabinet drop, and sustains for a week. It is the best sounding PP I have ever had. Several of us A/B'd it against 15 other PP's, we picked this one. If you have the money buy this one.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2017 3:01 pm    

Boy I wish I had the funds for this beauty! good luck with your sale!

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 2:20 pm    

I own 1478 and it is the best sounding guitar I have ever played. I wish I could buy this one, how cool would that be?!?

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2017 1:10 am    

The smoothest P/P's I've ever played were ones that Bryan Adams had worked on. This is a really cool lookin' P/P.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2017 9:10 am     Email sent

Email sent, Michael

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 2:17 am    

Michael, is this guitar still for,sale?

Please shoot me a Forum PM i would ship to ,Fargo ND

Thanks
Steve