The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Walker preamp and Carvin TS-100 tube amp. Great setup!!
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2016 1:40 pm    

I've been in the experimental stage again lately and I've always had good results with Carvin equipment. So my latest combination is a Walker preamp into a Carvin TS-100 power amp into a JBL K-130. The TS-100 can be run 50 watts stereo or 100 watts bridged. I'm using EL-34's but it can easily be biased to accommodate 6L6's as well or both. One set on each channel. I'm getting a great tone with the EL-34's tho so I will stay with those for now. Definitely one of the best setups I've had so far!!!

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2016 6:02 pm     Rig

Dave,

Interesting rig! I have one similar with a gold face preamp and a Mesa Boogie 50/50 to power it all. I'm running Walker JBL recones at 4 ohms.

Question: How does your K-130 sound with the paper dust cap as opposed to the aluminum one you usually see on K-130s? I have to get one reconed and am thinking seriously about putting a paper dust cap on it to tame the highs.

Thanks,

Don

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2016 6:29 pm    

Don, the Mesa 50/50 is a great amp and a lot of Carvin's early tube amp designs were Mesa clones. The Carvin allows a bit more versatility as it can be bridged and tube options and of course easier on the pocket book! Winking

As to the dust cap on the JBL, I had both original cone K-130's. One had the aluminum cap and the other with the paper cap that was changed somewhere down the line. I kept the paper cap and parted with the aluminum. Both sounded great but it seemed, at least to me, that the paper cap had a better tone. A bit richer in the mids and a little less bright on the highs. Just a smoother sound to my ears.
Dave

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2016 11:25 pm    

Variation on the theme. This is a fabulous sounding set-up. All tube except for the Wet Reverb pedal that's not pictured.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2016 9:16 am    

Very nice, Dave! I have a TS-100 and I run it bridged mode with the recommended 16 0hm load, one 12" speaker. Ahead of that is a Peavey Ttanstubefex. I use the rig for guitar at church. I also used the balanced outputs of the Transtubefex for the house feed. Love that Carvin amp!

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 8:15 pm    

Paul, that looks like a great sounding setup!

Ken, I was actually considering trying a tubefex with the Carvin for the extra tube factor and to eliminate the need for an outside effects unit. Your setup confirms that it would sound great as well. Winking
Dave

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 17 Sep 2016 9:24 pm    

And it keeps getting better! Added a Webb closed back cabinet with a JBL E-130-8. Next is another type of cabinet and a JBL D-130F. I wish my playing was as good as the tone I'm getting. Rolling Eyes

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2016 7:04 pm    

Ive been looking at older Carvin preamps. They look interesting, I bet they are pedal steel friendly. They look pretty solid too. Thats a great setup David

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2016 7:39 pm    

Looks great David. What are you using for a reverb and other effects?

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2016 5:05 am    

Tommy, I'm using a Zoom CDR-70 for reverb & delay with great results.
Dave

Marty Nemanick

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2017 11:38 am    

David, are you still using this setup?
I have a Stereo Steel preamp, with the gold front, and am considering doing the exact same thing. I was also wondering how that Carvin holds up, that is the power amp I'm looking at.

Thank you,

Marty

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 18 Sep 2017 1:18 pm    

Marty,
Yes, I'm still using this setup with my version of Webb cabinets. One open back and one closed...usually just one cabinet though. These are incredible sounding amps and can be used stereo or bridged and the Walker preamp is so versatile with unlimited tone control. I have one with the series or parralel switch added. This is the best sound I've ever had and you can't go wrong with Carvin or Walker.
Dave

Marty Nemanick

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2017 1:54 pm    

David, thank you for the reply, that is a very nice rig! I've been trying the SS preamp with several solid state amps over the years without finding anything that I really liked, and this looks like the way to go.
BTW, what is the function of the series/parallel switch, mine does not have that.

Thank you,

Marty

David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 18 Sep 2017 3:55 pm    

Marty,
The switch allows you to choose between running the total wet signal from the effects loop through the preamp (series) and control the mix with the preamp or it splits the signal and sends one dry signal though the preamp and the other wet (parallel). I use the series. It allows the EFX knob to be used as a mix. I think I explained that correctly. Rolling Eyes

Gerry added it to use with the current effects unit he uses for his system and it allowed much more control and versatility. Go to his website and it explains it much better than I can but it's a great added feature.
http://www.stereosteel.com/
Dave

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 9:34 am    

OK, I'll play. Just got a StereoSteel amp and I'm very impressed. It sounds good through everything but right now I'm trying these setups, mono into a single BW1501 and stereo into an old Bassman cab I redid with an open back and two JBL D120's. Ultimately I'll probably go with separate single 12" cabs with speakers sturdier than the JBL's, I think. I'm using a Lexicon MPX100 for reverb/delay but I've got my eye on an MPX1.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2017 5:19 pm    

Peter,
Can I get your chiropractor's number?
J