INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tapa Room Tapes COMPLETE + Tau Moe BBC
basilh

United Kingdom
Post Posted 3 Jun 2017 3:01 pm     Reply with quote

Tapa Room COMPLETE
Click Here
or here:- http://mbf.cc/GnQK8Z

Tau Moe BBC Broadcast
http://mbf.cc/37CIo2

Click Here
or here:- http://mbf.cc/37CIo2

Click logo for my bars.
Steffen Gunter

Munich, Germany
Post Posted 4 Jun 2017 7:47 am     Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Basil, for sharing these great recordings again!

Hawaii, USA
Post Posted 20 Sep 2017 9:48 am     Reply with quote

Basil,
looks like I was late for the boat.. story of my life. would it be possible to repost the links if you have time? I would love to give these a listen.
basilh

United Kingdom
Post Posted 20 Sep 2017 12:24 pm     Reply with quote

Josei, here you are..
Mahalo Nui for your kokua.
Pakile..

Here's the link..
http://mbf.cc/pIhDKC

CLICK THIS to view and buy——>

Hawaii, USA
Post Posted 21 Sep 2017 11:49 am     Reply with quote

Thanks so much Basil. Ive been searching for these for a while. I love Jules Ah see chord fills.
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post Posted 26 Sep 2017 5:28 am     Reply with quote

I just joined the forum (new to steel guitar but a fervent acolyte) but have to jump in and say, thanks so much! These are fantastic and when I saw the age of the thread at first I thought all the links would be dead by now. I was introduced to this music from Alfred Apaka and always loved his steel guitar players (never knew the names until recently). Also, just the sheer quantity of songs being preserved here is great, many of which I've never run into before. Some are amusingly bawdy, but hey, its a nightclub. Laughing

Also off-topic, I had Sweet Leilani in my head all weekend and found a few versions of yours online, Basil...wonderful playing!
basilh

United Kingdom
Post Posted 26 Sep 2017 11:46 am     Reply with quote

Glad you found this thread Nic, my personal favourite version of myself playing it, is live at the Castaways in 1967 with my wife Pat on rhythm guitar, Clive Morton on bas and Frank Leadon on percussion.. Hell that was 50 years ago..
This one :-->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXGjtP63_S4

CLICK THIS to view and buy my Ezzee~slide Tone Bars——>
Scott Thomas

Post Posted 26 Sep 2017 4:08 pm     Reply with quote

Thank-you Baz. I downloaded these originally, but it sure was convenient to be able to just do it again for my new computer as well.

Your playing is magnificent too. You could have easily played the Tapa Room.
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post Posted 26 Sep 2017 6:01 pm     Reply with quote

basilh wrote:
Glad you found this thread Nic, my personal favourite version of myself playing it, is live at the Castaways in 1967 with my wife Pat on rhythm guitar, Clive Morton on bas and Frank Leadon on percussion.. Hell that was 50 years ago..
This one :-->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXGjtP63_S4

I found that one in short order after watching a few of your more recent ones. I'll credit you for broadening a new player's mindset...I was all set against pedal steel as a particularly country thing. I may never go pedal, more out of my parsimony than principle, but you do it so well in an entirely Hawaiian way (at least, as much as I can judge)!

There are a lot of highlights on these recordings, but man, the first track (Ne'e Ne'e Mai) the steeler really lets go, his rhythm section completely supporting him (I assume it was Jules Ah See). The tone has that really throaty midrange, and you're right, he isn't drowning it in reverb. Makes those those crisply comped chords fit more naturally in...
David M Brown

California, USA
Post Posted 27 Sep 2017 6:34 am     Reply with quote

Nic Neufeld wrote:

There are a lot of highlights on these recordings, but man, the first track (Ne'e Ne'e Mai) the steeler really lets go, his rhythm section completely supporting him (I assume it was Jules Ah See). The tone has that really throaty midrange, and you're right, he isn't drowning it in reverb. Makes those those crisply comped chords fit more naturally in...

I assume so too - what a great treasure to have these recordings.
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post Posted 27 Sep 2017 11:47 am     Reply with quote

Another one with an exceptional solo break...E Lili'u E, quick two minute number, rhythm section swinging hard. First solo break is excellent, but the second one at 90 seconds, that's crazy stuff!!!
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post Posted 29 Sep 2017 8:38 am     Reply with quote

Maybe found a way to date these (or at least one track). On "Moana", Alfred makes a dedication "especially for a Mrs. Kupele, who has today, along with David, our guitarist in the band, become the proud parents of a little boy". In a few searches I couldn't find anything on his son(s). I did find this from when he passed on, it mentions his youngest daughter:
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/May/21/ln/ln44a.html

OK, maybe I put too much effort into this...but found in old obits and other records his sons Ronald and Dayton. Ronald was born Aug 1950 (has since passed on). Probably too early for that I assume, and Dayton Kupele's birthday appears based on publicly available sites to be early 1958 (I won't post day since it is probably considered PII). Which from what I've read should be spot on. Oh, the things I will do to get out of writing my master's thesis.