The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb from Fender
Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 7:04 am    

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/guitar-amplifiers/vintage-pro-tube/64-custom-deluxe-reverb/8180000000.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=blast-091217-fender-us&utm_term=fender&utm_content=largemod-64customdeluxe

Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 9:54 am    

i believe that is about the same price as an original. i think i'd rather have the original, but, i haven't played thru one of the new ones yet.

play music!

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 11:04 am    

Thanks for the tip. It's nice to have choices. The price range puts it up in the range of the boutique amps though that come with upgraded components like Mercury Magnetics transformers. I've been toying with building this in kit form from various vendors for less than half that price and maybe downgrading to the Princeton. That way I can pick and choose the mods I want to install and still tack on the Fender logo and maybe go with the MOD reverb tank as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 4:22 am    

Greg, Check out these amps from Alessandro on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=alessandro+handwired+amp&_armrs=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xalessandro+handwired+fender.TRS0&_nkw=alessandro+handwired+fender&_sacat=0

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 6:33 am    

I've seen those on ebay. Again lots of choices for amps. I had the reissue Deluxe, both models and the reissue Princeton. The reverbs on those sounded very tinny and they lacked the smooth sound of the floppy old broken in speakers on the used ones I had bought. Amazing after all these years, the original Fender circuit with various mods is still the workhorse of the tube amp industry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 11:24 am    

It's great that they made an easy-to-service, hand-wired eyelet board DR *sort* of like the old ones.

But why they felt the need to mess with it by having reverb and trem on both channels is just mystifying. It's not that it can't be easily "reverted" to the original "vibrato channel only" configuration - it's that they had to screw around with it at all.

They just can't leave well enough alone. Why make such a faithful "recreation" - and then mod it?
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional