The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Areas to watch good local steel players in Nashville
Danny Kuykendall

Fullerton, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 7:41 pm    

Going to Nashville to watch some local talent in a couple of weeks. I have tickets to see the TIme Jumpers at 3rd and Lindsay. Any recommendations for an area where some good bands may be playing? I will probably do the Grand Ole Opry as well.
Any input would be appreciated.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2017 3:24 am    

Lower Broadway has several clubs with good music. Bands alternate all afternoon and into the night. You can walk out of one right into another.

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2017 8:12 am    

I was just in Nashville last week to see the Time Jumpers (they were beyond excellent!) and I must say the only music I found on Broadway was rock & roll and mostly guitar-driven country - didn't see a single fiddle or pedal steel guitar in three days cruising the bars, and we went in just about every one of them! I was told to go to the Opryland area - that's where better country music resides - unfortunately our plans kept us away from that area. Broadway does has some cool things to do and I will say the music is better during the day than at night, but after 10 it becomes just loud, bad rock and roll. Lots of ZZTop and Skynyrd. That's my take - maybe it was just unlucky for us those three days, but I thought I would've seen at least one PSG.....
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Dick Hitchcock

Wayne, Nebraska
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2017 8:47 am    

Danny....The best shows in Nashville are The Time Jumpers at 3rd & Lindsley...and 45 RPM at the station inn If you can catch Mike Johnson and company there....Tell them you play steel, and I'll bet they will be very outgoing to you....Paul sure was to me......Dick.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2017 5:56 pm    

It's still worth hitting lower Broad. Sadly it's true that you may come up short on steel players and long on loud, sometimes awful, rock bands. The lack of steel players, though, is not nearly as common as it was even a year or two ago.

FWIW - You're waaaaaaay more likely to find steel players on the block with Robert's, Layla's , Paradise Park, etc.

After playing this afternoon, I saw three great steel players while walking to get my car. In the last week I saw Mike Jones, Tyler Hall, Eddie Lange, and three or four more great players just walking around on breaks.

So my apologies in advance if you go down there and don't see anyone. Still, I'd still recommend that you try, though.

Gary Palombia

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 8:36 am    

I second what Chris said. I was just there for my first time this week, and kind of figured I might not see too many PSG players. I'm happy to say just between 4th and 5th ave. we saw three. Mike Jones at Layla's Tyler Hall across the street from there and a third that I have to apologize for not knowing his name. I only regret I didn't get there earlier, stay a little longer and do it more than once.
Maybe in the spring. Very Happy

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 4:11 pm    

You usually find steel players on Broadway at the small clubs around AJ's good time bar (which used to be the wheel). The clubs aren't very big and you don't always see steel but its pretty common. Also at legends its pretty common to see a steel player (but they play a whole lot of the really popular 80's and 90's countries which I have heard a thousand times). Gary Gibson on saturday night at AJ's has a killer band with usually Mike Sweeney or Vic Lawson on steel. The Nashville Palace in the Opryland area commonly has steel players at night, Mike Sweeney with Ike Jonson on Monday night and Gary Gibson on Tuesday.

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 8:33 am    

I play at A.J's some when I sub for Vic Lawson on Saturdays 6:45 to 10:15. I do not work with Ike Jonson on Mondays at The Palace anymore but, I am there on Thursdays with The Western Swingers. I also work the " Classic Country" Burlesque show at Skull's in Printers Alley on Wednesday night 10:00 to midnight.
Sometimes you will catch me with Touch Of Texas at American Legion Post 82 in Inglewood or other places around town. But Broadway is just a small portion of what I do.

Danny Kuykendall

Fullerton, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 6:41 am    

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. I have tickets already for Time Jumpers on Monday, and I will search for other venues when I'm there. I would like to sit in somewhere and play, but probably that won't happen. Will still take my picks.
Danny

Danny Kuykendall

Fullerton, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 6:45 am    

I will copy this page and take it with me. Thanks again.