The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Taking the plunge into Universal land
Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 12:53 pm    

I've been playing PSG for less than 2 years on my Fessy D12 and have made much faster progress than I ever expected (especially for a 62 year old). After much study and thought, I decided to switch to Universal tuning and realized that this would be a good time to make the change (if I wait too long, I figure it will be much harder to switch). So after stumbling upon an already built, brand new Williams, I took the plunge. It's expected to ship this Thursday and I am rather excited to say the least...

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 1:07 pm    

Congratulations! I think that's a wise choice, and 'now' is a good time.. (and I wish I'd done it 20 years ago when I first got introduced to pedal..after 20 years of non-pedal. It couldn't have been any harder! Smile )

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 1:22 pm    

Now that is ONE BEAUTIFUL guitar!!!!

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 2:00 pm    

Slim,Awesome guitar you'll be killing on soon enough,I've always been a fan of yours,now you've got one more weapon in your arsenal!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 2:16 pm    

Congrats and good luck ! ^_^

John Russell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 6:52 pm     Nice guitar, good idea

Wow, If I had that beautiful Willie guitar, I'd be on it like a duck on a june bug! You'd have to pry me off the thing. I'll stick with my Zum and my Sierra for now.

I'm prejudiced, having played Universal now for more than 20 years. It was a pretty easy switch from my old S-10. I never liked the D string in the middle and got rid of it the first week I had that guitar so the universal was easier to learn. It's good you're fairly new to the instrument, learning to play 12 strings instead of 10 won't be that hard. Even more so at the ripe age of 62 (I'm 69). Around that age we start to wonder if we need to be lifting heavy guitars and amps. I'm no longer lugging the Fender Twin, or the Peavey Nashville, there are lots of alternatives to that torture.

Enjoy the journey, it's magic!

Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 8:40 pm    

Thanks guys!

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 1:16 am    

Slim, you've done the right thing I'm sure. I did the same at a similar age and rate of progress, and you'll be able to play pretty much anything on it and still be able to lift it! Good luck Smile

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 7:12 am    

Hey Slim that is a real beauty!
I played a friends 400 Series Williams S12U for several songs at a jam last weekend, and it played great and sounds great.
I like the fretboard colors on yours, and of course the finish and inlays.
Have fun with it!

What is the first song you are planning to play on it?

Slim Heilpern

Aptos California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 7:37 am    

Pete Burak wrote:
Hey Slim that is a real beauty!
I played a friends 400 Series Williams S12U for several songs at a jam last weekend, and it played great and sounds great.
I like the fretboard colors on yours, and of course the finish and inlays.
Have fun with it!

What is the first song you are planning to play on it?

Thanks Pete. Probably whatever I happen to be working on when it arrives. The first challenge will be that all the knee levers are kind of backwards compared to my Fessy (LKL -> RKL, LKR -> RKR, RKL -> LKR, RKR -> LKL), so that should should be fun! And of course the missing D string. But I don't expect any of this to be a problem after a few weeks of playing.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 7:59 am    

Willys are easy to work on in case you want to move any knee lever changes around.