The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cheap 8 string Lap. Morrell or SX?
Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 7:58 am    

So I'm a beginner Pedal steel player looking to add an 8 string lsp to my collection. I was looking at these two that are within my budget.

http://www.morrelllapsteel.com/8-string-joe-morrell-pro one of the maple bodied models
or
http://www.rondomusic.com/lap8na.html

Near as I can figure the things the Morrel has going for it are the USA manufacture and a better pickup. Also, though it appears to be painted right on the body, I do like the look of the Morrel fingerboard.

The SX is $75 lower, has bag and stand and most importantly has a much wider string spacing and longer scale that will be close to my Encore. I'm also liking that it has a metal nut, though I'm not sure how it compares to the plastic Morrel nut.

Anyone have any experience on these two? I do like the fact that Morrel is made in the USA, but the SX seems better suited to me and Kurt at Rondo has always taken good care of me.

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 8:15 am    

I like my SX 6-stringer with the Fender-style pickup, but the 8-string model has a p90 style which should be great for a vintage tone. The SX case is pretty nice also. The Morrell is a little more attractive guitar though. I think I've heard of quality complaints about Morrells, but I'm not sure I'd put too much stock in that. Rondo being an import probably has its fair share too. For cosmetic defects you can always exchange. Anything else can be hot-rodded and upgraded fairly inexpensively (but probably not necessary) except for pickups, and with 8 strings you have fewer (and more expensive) pickup options. I don't have experience with the Morrell but I'd focus on which pickup you really think you want to have, along with the string spacing you mentioned, and maybe look for videos that let you hear each guitar just for a general idea of their tone.

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 1:57 pm     8 string lap steel

Karl, I would suggest that you check out Melbert lap steels made in the USA. For about $100.00 more than a lap steel made offshore, you can get a very nice lap steel in a choice of woods, and no upgrades necessary. Maybe do a search here on the Forum and go to Bob Allen's web site.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 3:23 pm    

I'm no expert on lap steels, but I've owned a few, mostly cheaper ones, over the years FWIW.

My Rondo SX is a 6 string and a 22 3/4" scale v. the 8 string 24 3/4" scale, so I don't know how helpful my post is.

I presently have an SX 6 with the P90 on an ash body. I was pleasantly surprised by the tone. It plays nicely too. The build and finish is pretty good for a cheap guitar. It also has the newer stop style bridge where your link shows a L-shaped bridge on the 8 stringer, so I don't know if that will affect tone or not.

It might just be this one guitar, but I don't like the taper on the volume control. I'll probably swap it out for a pot with a smoother, more gradual taper. Other than that, I like it really well.

I see these ash models are going up in price lately too, I don't know where they're headed.

Never owned a Morrell, but I've not been impressed by any of the ones I've looked at or tried. To be fair, all of those were the very bottom line entry level models so....

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 10:25 pm    

I also have one of the SX 8 string models, and it's a decent instrument for the low price.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2017 12:00 pm    

Thanks for the input folks!

I looked into the Morrel a bit closer and it seems that they use a 7 string pickup with their narrow spacing and that if I did widen the spacing the pickup might not be wide enough. At this point it looks like the SX might be the only option in my price range that has the scale and spacing I want.

I had checked into Melbert before. They do look nice, but with shipping and a case, I'd be almost at $500 for an 8 string. I'd much rather keep it closer to $200 for now.

As a side question, has anyone tried using 5 or 6 string bass pickups for 8 string lap steels? There's a fair variety of them in several shapes and at a variety of price points. When I saw the pickup in my Encore PSG I assumed at first it was a bass pickup.

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 11:45 am    

Occasionally I have a Melbert blem or used. I just happen to be completing a cypress 8-string lap steel that has a cosmetic blemish. It'll be completed in 2 weeks and it's early enough in the build to choose which George L's pickup you'd like and strung up to your tuning. $250 includes a TKL lap steel gig bag, cable, and shipping to Lower 48. email: melbertguitars@gmail.com

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 12:02 pm    

Karl Paulsen wrote:
I had checked into Melbert before. They do look nice, but with shipping and a case, I'd be almost at $500 for an 8 string. I'd much rather keep it closer to $200 for now.

Robert Allen wrote:
Occasionally I have a Melbert blem or used. I just happen to be completing a cypress 8-string lap steel that has a cosmetic blemish. It'll be completed in 2 weeks and it's early enough in the build to choose which George L's pickup you'd like and strung up to your tuning. $250 includes a TKL lap steel gig bag, cable, and shipping to Lower 48. email: melbertguitars@gmail.com

Karl, this may be the best offer you will ever receive. A quality American instrument by a builder with an impeccable reputation is so far superior to a cookie cutter instrument cobbled together from generic guitar parts in an offshore sweatshop it will make your head swim.

George Macdonald

Vancouver Island BC Canada
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 12:52 pm     lap steels

That is a terrific offer Bob has made to you. I have two 8 string Melbert lap steels and couldn't be happier with them. The George L pickup is worth half the price of the whole package.

Todd Goad

Gray, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 6:25 pm     Melbert

Karl, I have to echo the other guys on Bob's offer. A great instrument, a great price & a great guy to deal with. I think you would be glad you took Bob up on this offer or maybe regret if you don't, either way I wish you well and hope you find a guitar that makes you happy. God Bless--TG

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 9:47 am    

Hey Folks,
Been away for the forum a couple days, but I just got Bob's offer. I'll be consulting my better half and hopefully it will be mine.

Cross your fingers folks...

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 2:50 pm    

The has approved, it will be mine!
So, now I've just got to pick a pickup. If any of you all would like to mosey over here...
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2665155#2665155
...and offer some advice in that matter it would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 10:38 am     I have one too

Hi Karl,
I have one too and it came with a lipstick pickup.
The seller on the forum said he was going to change the pickup so I thought I'd do the same. However, when it arrived it sounded okay to me so it still has that one.

Not the best sounding lap steel I have, but for a cheap one it's fine.
I'll still use this steel for trying out new tunings.
Best wishes,
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 1:20 pm     Re: I have one too

Andy De Paule wrote:
Hi Karl,
I have one too and it came with a lipstick pickup.
Andy

Andy, what is the serial number on yours? Sounds like one of the older Melbert steels. Many changes and improvements over the years. I wasn't using George L's pickups in the beginning. Bob

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 1:24 pm     Serial Number

Hi Robert,
Not sure of the Serial Number because it's at my house in Saigon right now.
Don't remember seeing one, but maybe I'll take a look when I get back home.
Mine was the Little Roy Wiggins model.
Best wishes,
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Robert Allen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 1:49 pm    

If it says Little Roy Wiggins it is probably a Morrell lap steel and those didn't have serial numbers on them.

Bob

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 5:55 pm    

That sounds right.
Maybe the lipstick pickup is a Kent Armstrong of some sort? The current Morrel's seem to use various models of Kent Armstrong pups.

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 6:58 am    

Robert Allen wrote:

Darn it, I miss all the good ones! Sad Cool

John Culp

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 6:05 am    

I live in Bristol, Tennessee, the home of Morrell Music. Some of my friends have built their lap steels. I've gone over to their store several times to look at them, not recently though. I always found some picky little details that didn't satisfy me and kept my wallet in my pocket. I have two older Melbert steels (6 and 8 string) from a time when Bob Allen was patterning his after the Morrell ones, with an improved fretboard and IMO first rate attention to detail. His guitars have evolved considerably since then. Bob is a terrific guy to deal with as well as a great instrument builder. My Melbert 8 string came with the same Kent Armstrong pickup that Morrell used then and still does. Bob went to the George L pickup not long after I got my 8 stringer, a cosmetically blemished walnut one that is absolutely gorgeous, hard to find the blemish which is on the bottom. Back to the pickup. The Kent Armstrong Stinger 7 is a 7 string Strat style pickup. Inside are 7 Alnico magnets. Testing it with a screwdriver as a probe, the outside pole pieces are at the same width as the outside strings. Obviously the inner strings don't each line up with a magnet. I have just enough obsessive compulsive nature for that to bug me. It just couldn't be right. I couldn't HEAR any problem with some strings sounding weaker or stronger than others. Particularly when the pickup is set well below the strings, I know the magnetic fields of the pole pieces are going to blend together, and the magnetic strings will pull the lines of force to them. Still, the thought bugged me. I looked at swapping in a lipstick pickup, which I have and like in 6 stringers, but the screwdriver told me that the bar magnet inside was a little shorter than the outside string spacing. What I did that made me very happy was to take a piece of 1/8" square section welding steel, sold cheaply at places like Lowe's and Tractor Supply, and cut a piece slightly wider than the strings at the pickup. I put that on top of the pickup, the magnetic field holding it there quite securely. It almost fills the space between the top cover of the pickup and the strings, with just enough room that the strings don't hit it and buzz. The passive steel pole piece equalizes the magnetic field along its length, the width of the pickup and strings, and focuses the field along a narrow window that can pick up the highest frequency vibrations. Because the gap is now mostly filled with steel, the pickup is much "hotter," and I have always preferred the sound of pickups very close to the strings It adds second harmonic as the string gets closer to the pickup when moving down and farther away as it moves up, and it has a volume expansion effect with more response as the string vibrates through a wider range. Lots of folks prefer the smoother, cleaner, less twangy sound of a lower pickup, but that's just what I like. Anyway, if you have a Morrell (or other) with the 7 string pickup, try this. It's cheap and easy, doesn't modify your instrument permanently, and you just may like it!