The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Conqueror D8 possibly made by Guyatone?
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 5:06 am    

This is for sale semi-locally for $800 and I'm wondering if the price is right. I realize the photos aren't the best there ever was. The ad doesn't describe the condition, but it appears to be in decent shape. All input welcome.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 6:53 am    

Yes, Conqueror was made in Japan in the same factory as Guyatone, Teisco, Jedson, Aria, and others. This D-8 is basically a Stringmaster copy. I have a blonde Guyatone exactly like this one and I like it a lot. I've owned two others in the past. These consoles have a unique sound, kind of a nasal, out of phase tone, very vintage sounding. They don't come up for sale too often. I've seen prices vary between about $550 to $900 (asking prices). I think $800 is not unreasonable, but a little on the high side IMO. I would offer a lower price if I was in the market for one. As always, ask about the electronics and the tuners before making an offer.

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 11:54 am    

What Doug says Rick.

Here is mine, I paid £450 UK Pounds without question, I had a new one in the 1960s and foolishly sold it so knew what I was getting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWVll5SxZ7M

James.

Noah Miller

Rocky Hill, CT
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 3:11 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Yes, Conqueror was made in Japan in the same factory as Guyatone, Teisco, Jedson, Aria, and others.

Guyatone and Teisco were two separate factories. Arias from this period came from a third, Matsumoku. Conqueror Spanish electric guitars came from the Kawai factory, but this steel does look like a Guyatone product.

Nikolai Shveitser

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 9:01 am    

I've got one of these (a guyatone) . It doesn't have a tapered string spacing at the nut like a stringmaster as far as i understand. In general I really like it- the geometry of the string spacing and scale length is quite comfortable. The pickups strike a good balance of growl and clarity. Its a fun little instrument.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 9:57 am    

I agree, Nikolai. The string spacing is wider than the Stringmaster and not tapered, which makes it very comfortable to play. The wider spacing also makes for easier bar slants. Whenever I play my Guyatone for a long period of time and switch back to my Stringmaster I'm shocked at how tight (close) the strings are on the Stringmaster compared to the G'tone.

Below are pictures of two of the G'tones consoles I've owned. The top one has a Guytone logo (no strings on the guitar). The bottom one has a music store logo on the front. I currently have that guitar and I love playing it. It's in mint condition and it was given to me by a good friend who knows how much I like these guitars.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 11:24 am    

Thank you for all the information, fellas. I haven't received any reply from the seller, yet. And I suspected this guitar has three legs like the ones shown by Doug, but I wasn't able to be certain based on the pics. My personal preference is four legs, so I'm a tad less interested, but that may just be a point of negotiation. Haha.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 1:40 pm    

Rick, the guitar is little unstable with 3 legs. I don't mind that though. I do like the sound of the guitar. I made a couple of videos with mine and you can see the guitar wobbling a lot in the first video. Not so much in the second video. I tend to play aggressively so I get a lot of wobble from three legs. The guitar is a lot lighter than the Fender Dual Pro, which also has 3 legs.

----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ecLkdv9amE

----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8JivjKVBIg

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 6:38 pm    

Doug If I could play like you, I would forget the wobble! What is the spacing on that guitar?
Joe Elk Central Ohio

Ted Duross

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2017 3:14 am    

Just to follow up a bit more on the original question, here's a 'for sale' ad that's running presently in Quebec for a 6 string Guyatone Conqueror.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitare/quebec/guitare-lap-steel-guyatone-conqueror-1965-i011467/c894254?channelId=1101

A better picture at
http://instantcomptant.org/page/afficherProduit.php?id=i011467

It says Montreal but actually it's from a shop just outside of Quebec city.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2017 6:20 am    

Quote:
What is the spacing on that guitar?

2 1/2" at the nut, 2 11/16" at the bridge. So there is a slight taper. It's not noticeable when playing the guitar.

Here are a couple more pictures of the first Guyatone I owned.

If you're interested in G'tones check out the mother of all Guyatone threads: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=147757

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2017 9:37 am    

Joe Elk wrote:
Doug If I could play like you, I would forget the wobble!

Isn't that the truth? I always enjoy Doug's offerings.