Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 7:13 pm    

edit

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 27 Dec 2021 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 11:28 pm    

Thank you for the detailed explanation, Doug. Yeah, I can't stand that constant fade-in, note-from-nowhere sound. Sparsely and tastefully used, it can be beautiful. Your technique is the bomb though.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 6:50 am    

Doug

As always your playing and ideas are great ! I am going to give that tuning a whirl...I like the connection to E9th pedal...certainly a familiar ground to start with.

Thanks for all you do for the steel guitar community !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 7:19 am    

I'm searching through my computer this morning and I found some tab I did a long time ago for JB's "Surprise Waltz" on this E9 tuning. I forgot all about it! That song has a series of reverse slants that climb up the fretboard making interesting chord changes, not easy to play in tune.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 7:39 am    

All my steels are 8 string...which direction should i extend the e9th tning as you have it doug...up, down or one of each...which would make it even more e9th-ish ? Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 8:16 am    

It's very tempting to add a C# to get a higher voicing for a minor chord, but then the tuning becomes E13 and the C# breaks up the major chord, root, 3rd, 5th, three adjacent strings. There are a lot of ways to extend the tuning, but I would stick with E, B, G# to keep that full major chord sound.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 8:43 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
It's very tempting to add a C# to get a higher voicing for a minor chord, but then the tuning becomes E13 and the C# breaks up the major chord, root, 3rd, 5th, three adjacent strings. There are a lot of ways to extend the tuning, but I would stick with E, B, G# to keep that full major chord sound.

I agree with you about the c#..i know i dont want to break that up..i will experiment a little...thanks !

Allan Haley

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 9:20 am    

Hi Doug,
This tuning might be the way forward for me. I have been going back and forth between Open D and C6 on my lap steel, and E9 on the pedal steel. For an amateur, it's a lot to learn.
This E9 tuning on the lap will simplify things for me- keep my head in the E9 pedal steel world even when playing lap steel. One tuning is enough for me to get under my fingers.
Thanks and I always enjoy your videos.
Al

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 10:33 am    

Al, that's great to hear. Yes, try this tuning; I think you'll like it if you already play pedal steel.

manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 6:16 am    

Hi Doug, This recent display of playing with finesse reminds me of how intimidating it was playing gigs with you in the not too distant past. You would be a great asset playing the E7 lap and pedal steel at the RISGA show on October 28th.

manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 8:43 am    

Forgive me for calling your E9 lap an E7.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 7:08 pm     Thanks for the nameless tune

Thanks Doug for the nameless tune.
I've already have worked out about half of Summertime, but my steel is in A6th so it's coming out in F#M where nobody I know ever played it.
Can retune to C6th easy enough though. Very Happy
Thanks again for the Tab and all the great youtube videos.
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 5:49 pm    

Thanks for the positive comments.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 4:21 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
.. no one tuning does everything. Cool

Ammmm I think there is one tuning that can. Whoa!
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"