The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What guitar is this?
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2014 11:16 am    

At that point in time the tuning was probably Roy Wiggins' E13th (B D E G# B C# E G#). People were experimenting with pedals. Bud Isaacs' original pedal lick raised the middle G# and B together, and then Mooney raised the high G# separately. Jimmy Day and Buddy Emmons later figured out that the middle G# and B strings should be on separate pedals and work in octaves.

On the video you can see that strings 4 and 5 are working together. It's likely a single Isaacs pedal pulling both strings.

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2014 6:26 am     Interesting

Lots of interesting history with this instrument. Thanks b0b.
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2014 1:02 pm     Re: Tuning

Wayne Ledbetter wrote:
What tunings did they use on those old multi neck guitars?

I took Wayne's question to mean what about the other three necks. Different keys, different tunings in the same key, or what?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2014 1:59 pm    

That's been covered pretty well in the Steel Without Pedals section. There were a lot of different tunings, but the most common ones were (low to high):

E13 (Nashville): B D E G# B C# E G#
C6th: A C(C#) E G A C E G
A6th: E A C# E F# A C# E
E13 (swing): E B G# D F# G# B E

Every player had his own tuning preferences. There was no standard, but if you wanted to play hits exact off the radio, the high E13th (for Don Helms and Roy Wiggins) and C6th (for Jerry Byrd) were pretty much required.

Chris Scruggs

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2017 7:46 am    

Sorry to revive a "zombie" post, but the tuning back then was typically the Bud Isaacs E9:

E
B.........C#
G#.......A. (Pedal one
F#
D.........E
B..........C#(pedal two)
G#.......A
E

The player in this video is Jack "Curly" Evins. He was Ray's road player in this era and went on to fund financial success as an initial investor in Cracker Barrell Old country Store.

The Shot Jackson pedal steel conversions on old Fenders required the strings with pedals to be the forth and fifth strings as they had the longest distance from tuning post to nut, and therefore the lowest tension for the pedals to bend the string without breaking too many strings. On these guitars the two highest strings would be left off, then the E string would be put on where the third string would go and the tuning would be a six string E9 along the lines of this:

No string
No string
E
B.....C#
G.....A
F
D
B

In the video you can see the strings hit the lights and reflect when he presses the pedals, and they are the forth and fifth position strings. Jim Farmsr with Marty Robbins used a D-8 Fender with the same style setup.

Chris Scruggs

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2017 7:47 am    

John DeBoalt,

And those aren't just any fiddlers, that's Tommy Jackson and Dale Potter! That's as good as it ever got, right there...

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2017 8:11 am    

I can no longer see the video that prompted my original post, so I do feel a bit zombified. Does anyone have an undead link that might work?

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 9:05 am    

I just wonder why Ray is playing rhythm in E and the other guy in C, lol.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 1:36 pm    

Henry, I think their is a capo on Price's guitar. I did not know their was such a thing in those days. J.R.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 2:01 pm    

J R Rose wrote:
Henry, I think their is a capo on Price's guitar. I did not know their was such a thing in those days. J.R.

You're probably joking, but capos go way, way back. A piece of elastic on a stick etc. or one of these things.

Some guys just called it a "clamp". Smile

John DeBoalt

Harrisville New York USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 7:23 pm    

I recognized Tommy Jackson, but some how I missed Dale Potter. I re-ran the clip to take another look, but even knowing I've seen him in other videos he doesn't look like I remember. Old age I guess.
Wechter Scheernhorn Reso, Deneve Reso, Fender Jazzmaster, Martin D16, Walker Stereo Steel amp, TC Electronics M One effects unit, JBL 15" speaker cabs,Peavey Nashville 1000,Peavey Revoloution 112, Morrell Lap Steel, Boss DD3 delay,others

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 7:56 pm    

No Jerry, I was not joking about not knowing about a capo. Just never did see one and just a country boy from the sticks never was around any one that had one. Just being honest. Thanks for the picture of one. I today have one just like that but not that old. J.R.