The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boschee Pedal Guitar
Ben Laborie

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 5:14 pm    

Brand new member here. This guitar was mentioned a couple times on the forum eg HERE.

Turned out the guy was not a player and accepted what I thought was a very reasonable price given what people had said here. I had to have it because nobody had heard of it (!) and it was a local maker. I plan to visit the city archives to see what I can find out.

I am a guitar player and want to learn pedal at some point so setting it up was a bit of a lesson in itself. Surprisingly most everything seems to work just fine and to my untrained ear sounds glorious through a Quilter 101 and old D130F. Pedals ABC are all standard Emmons but there seems to me one lower on the LKL that has moved to a RKL.

One of the pedals seems to be missing a part to keep the rod attached to the pedal. See attached. I probably can do this with a wingnut but anyone familiar with this kind of part?

Thanks in advance!

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 8:32 pm    

The retainer looks to be 3/32 or 1/8 stock, available at most any hardware store in that width. Take one off for a template, and using a hammer and vise, fashion a new one.. the mounting hole is already there. Good luck with the new obsession! Smile

Ben Laborie

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 9:30 pm    

hrm retainer? 3/32? Sorry lost me. You mean the size of the hole? The clip is attached to each pedal assembly so that it swivels out of the way when you put the rod on but then folds over the rod end to prevent it from coming off....

In any event thank you!

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 4:14 am    

The clip holding the pedal is the same one that Blanton used on his guitars,I might have one?I'll have to look through a bunch of junk.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Ben Laborie

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 8:04 am    

yeehaw crossing fingers.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 1:19 pm    

Ben,I looked through all of my junk and couldn't find it?from what I remember it's a common part ,maybe ace hardware has it?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Ben Laborie

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 1:42 pm    

Thanks very much! Looks like I will try Home Depot or the local Home Hardware for something that might work.

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 6:33 pm    

Cool. Decades ago I saw a guitar in a music store in I think New Westminster (it wasn't in Vancouver proper I'm pretty sure) that this reminds me of. I was thinking about getting my first pedal steel and looking around hoping to find something for very little money. I remember being told that a local guy made it.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 7:00 pm    

If the guitar is going to be set up at home and never taken apart, and you can't find the correct pedal rod stabiliser, there's a couple of options, drill a hole through the pedal shank and install cotter pin, or get one of those spread type things that you push on a shaft that umbrella out as you install it.

If the guitar is not going to be staying at home and you need to put it up and down, forget everything I said. Lol

Ben Laborie

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 8:13 pm    

Thanks for all the thoughts and tips. I went to the archives today. Evidently there was only one Boschee listed in the Vancouver city directory from 1955 to 1985. There was an Alex Boschee listed from 1972 to about 1980. Station O where the PO box for the company was on the east side of the city not terribly far from where he lived.

Still I didn't find any other references to the company in the directories or newspaper indexes or business licence records. What a mystery. Maybe I will have to check out New West!

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2017 3:37 am    

It doesn't have to be a "company" per se', that built that guitar.. It might be a talented guy that built one or two guitars in his basement back 40 or 50 years ago, had a few stickers with his name on it made up, sold a couple of guitars and just faded away .
The amount of work per unit and the prices people are willing to pay has probably kept a lot of potential steel guitar builders from ever becoming "companies".

There are a ton of very nice one offs and very low production pedal steels out there, and this looks to be one of them.. It looks somewhat patterned after a ZB. I think its nicely done. I saw it months ago on ebay, but the seller wanted too much IMHO... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Ben Laborie

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2017 6:33 am    

You are absolutely right Bob. I was just hoping there was a bit more out there. And hey if it is one of a very few, so be it.

And yes I think I got for a decent price after he tried high on fleabay and CL.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2017 9:26 am    

It looks well made, and the builder had talent for certain.. Very ZB like... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Ben Laborie

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2017 12:55 pm    

A non menber found me on FB and told me that he knew Al Boschee and even said he saw it being built! Al Boschee was a fiddle and steel player in the 60s and 70s in Vancouver. The fretboard and pickups were the same used by Johnny Hurd to build his Jonel pedal steel guitars- they lived together and used the same basement shop. Al had a ZB guitar and he said it was a one off.

Gotta love cyberspace!