The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  fuzzy sound?
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 10:14 am    

I know this isn't about steel but will a faulty pickup create a fuzzy sound? My 6120 Gretsch is doing that and it's driving me nuts!!!!!! I've even taken off the pick guard to see if that was causing it. I doubt it's fret buzz. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Geo

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 6:17 pm    

You have 2 pickups so what happens when you switch from front to rear? Swap cables, different amp and so on.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 2:13 am    

Good points, Larry. I used to have PX6120 (1961 model). Along with switching pickups, it also has a switch for tone control. Three volume controls, one for each pickup and a master volume control. A pot could cause that.

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 4:29 am     thank you

Thanks for the input. It isn't the amp (I have several and it does it on all of them). I thought it might have been fret buzz but raising the bridge didn't make any difference. Next step is taking in to a tech when I get to AZ. It doesn't matter what position the switches are in and the pots don't make any noise when I turn them but maybe there is a bad one. It's something in the guitar somewhere, my Tele & Strat doesn't do that.

Geo

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 8:07 pm    

Could it be a cable inside vibrating?

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 10:54 pm    

I checked the volume controls for possible cause but they are quiet, switches seem OK so the only thing left that I can think of is possible fret buzz. I'm taking it in to a tech in AZ when I get there. No one close by here.

Thanks all,
Geo