Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 8:44 am    

Is there a way of boosting the bass on this amp need more Bass
Need some help with this
Looking for ideas
P.w

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 3:45 pm    

Could try an Xotic fx EP booster. With the dip switch set right, it adds a bit of bass, low end. I use it to boost my old Gibson Consolette with weak pickups. I have and use the Special 130 for pedal steel but only for a church gig where it is miced and in a studio type atmosphere. I bust out the Session 400 when I need live big barroom bass sound. LTD 400 is my main amp though. But sometimes. Need it for bar gigs, so I just use the Special for church. The EP booster seems to add lows if set right. Or maybe a really good EQ pedal. Also better/different speaker could help as well. I love my Special 130. Great utility amp. It's a killer when set up right. I want to get a better speaker in mine, it has some old Eminence that is 8 ohm that tech just put in it when Scorpion went down. I have heard running at 8 ohms changes tone a bit too, only it now puts out 85 watts instead of 130. For what I need it for that's no problem. May distort if I pushed it at bigger gig.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 3:47 am     Special 130

thanks tom for the info. here what i have a special 130
in a nasville 400 cabinet with a peavey 1502 15" speaker. i got it dialed in pretty much but, need a tad more bass. i may have to by a 3 band EQ for this amp
i am playing my shobud super pro with B.L 705 pickups

p.w

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 5:46 am     Channel?

Paul, which channel are you using?thanks jack

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 5:49 am    

Wow! What a cool setup. I thought about doing something like that with an old Pacer I have. Just can't seem to pull trigger and do it. I have 2 Pacers actually, one is kind of worn out and one in good shape. Would like to put the Special 130 chassis in there with a 15, but then I have to rout for speaker, etc. for what I use it for the Special is just fine in original cab. I think the EQ or EP booster will get you there.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 5:53 am    

As far as channel, I always use the Normal for pedal steel. Everyone says it has more bass response. A/B them and I think that is right. Also, I changed out OP Amp chips. It's super easy to do. No soldering for this amp, just pop them in. Have to put them facing right way, just study how old ones are in. I think it's the 2134 chip everyone gets now? That could help with bass also.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 6:52 am    

As far as channel, I always use the Normal for pedal steel. Everyone says it has more bass response. A/B them and I think that is right. Also, I changed out OP Amp chips. It's super easy to do. No soldering for this amp, just pop them in. Have to put them facing right way, just study how old ones are in. I think it's the 2134 chip everyone gets now? That could help with bass also.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2017 5:58 am    

TTT

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2017 2:46 pm    

Paul, if you change the chips, don't change the reverb driver. I changed all on a couple of Bandits, and think the reverb isn't as "full".

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 5:41 am     Special 130

thanks everybody for the info. jack i use the first input. bill what chips are we talking about??. got it sounding pretty good now. just going to used as a to go amp with steel and tele

p.w Smile

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 5:58 am     Amp?

Paul, are you using a foot switch? If not plug a dummy plug into the foot switch input on back of amp. That is the way I use mine and I get all the lows you could ask for....thanks jack

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 8:29 am     Special 130

Jack yes I'm using a dummy plug works good thanks

P.w

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 9:53 am    

Well everyone was raving about the OPA 2134A chips in the Nash 112's, so I tried them in my Bandits, I do think they sound "better", and are definitely quieter. I just think they took some of the 'verb away. (If I ever pull the chassis again, I'll find out).