The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Oma Thomas Bigsby
Eric Stumpf

Newbury, NH 03255
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2017 5:51 pm    

Stop! You're killing' me! https://reverb.com/item/6456241-bigsby-pedal-steel-guitar-1955-maple

Peter Huggins

Van Nuys, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 9:19 am    

Oma Thomas had a music studio in South Gate, CA not too far from Bigsby's home in Downey. The unusual configuration of one ten-string neck, two eight-string necks and one six-string neck (!) was certainly so she could teach a variety of styles (I am not aware of another Bigsby six-string steel guitar, are there any out there?). This guitar was used in her studio for teaching and gigged sparingly or not at all, and subsequently remains in pristine unmolested condition. Her grandson came to the OC guitar show and only showed pictures on his phone to a couple of people, one of them being Rick King of Guitar Maniacs, based in Tacoma, WA. He said it had been appraised about 10 or 20 years ago at $10,000.00 . Rick asked if it was for sale and could he arrange to see it and was told it was out in the car (at close to 100 lbs., I wouldn't want to lug it around either).
Rick consulted a couple members of the Bigsby brain trust to ascertain a value but ultimately passed it on to Jay Rosen. My brother and I drove it up north to Jay's but I never actually got to see it until Jay posted these photos. I wonder how many more treasures are hidden out there under beds or in closets, waiting to be rediscovered. Can't be very many… but then this one showed up, so I gotta wonder … and keep dreaming.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2017 7:34 pm    

Good info, Peter.

It looks like the pedals are hooked up to the ten string neck.

I wonder about the changer on the front neck. It looks to be of a different design with, perhaps, some pieces missing.

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 2:02 am    

The front neck changer is not a Bigsby made. Due to its' bulky design, the volume ( or tone ) pot is also removed about an inch. You can see the hole in the end plate where it was originally. Also, the serial # indicates that the guitar is actually made in 1958, not -55 like the ad says. Aside from few missing screws, bent tuning keys and the clumsy front neck changer, seems to be in great shape.

T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 5:18 am    

I believe the front neck changer is called a Hise Hand Tone Changer and apparently it's missing the hand lever. Paul Warnik said that these were installed an some Bigsby steels. He also said that he knew of someone who had a 55 gallon drum full of Hise changers that was sold as scrap metal. Ouch!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 5:55 am    

I have a question about the 6 string neck. If you look close, the 4th string is considerably larger than the rest. Any guess on what the tuning might be?