The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wood vs Metal pedal stop bar
Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 6:26 am    

Ok ok, I know this subject has probably been beat half to death but I cannot find any current threads so here we go.

I am about to start another Lacquer fatback resto and am thinking about doing a wood pedal stop bar...

I know some of you Emmons P/Ps experts can comment. I don't even pretend to be an expert so looking for opinions

thoughts?

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 4:06 pm    

Fantastic idea Mike, go for it mate, it is very interesting to see something out of the norm, and sit back and watch a master put it together, i see no problem with it and wood won't need constant polishing and cleaning.... there's lots of purist here in forumland so opinions may vary or be silent!....lol

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 4:16 pm    

Larry Bressington wrote:
Fantastic idea Mike, go for it mate, it is very interesting to see something out of the norm, and sit back and watch a master put it together, i see no problem with it and wood won't need constant polishing and cleaning.... there's lots of purist here in forumland so opinions may vary or be silent!....lol

Hi Larry,

So what I was referring to was the pedal stop bar which is covered with flocking. You will see it under each cross shaft on the front apron as it stretches most of the distance on the inside of the front apron. Some say the reason Emmons changed to metal was to help with cabinet drop, others say the wood sounds better. I do not claim to know either but I would be interested in guys who have experienced the difference. Looking for pros and cons of each wood/metal. Once the bodies are tore down thats the time to change this if you're going to I suppose.

Cheers,
Mike

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 5:32 pm    

Hey Mike, I sent you an email in regards to your data collecting efforts? Good luck to ya!

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 8:10 pm    

I would think metal stopbars would not be prone to having a hole worn it from the set screw, thereby keeping tuning more stable.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 9:12 pm    

Till the experts check in. It seems a no brainier that metal would make the best stop bar.As for sound. The guitars that I've played that had a wooden stop bar were all Bolt On's with aluminum necks. The one's with metal were Cut Tails. Two different animals. So no way I can offer and opinion as to which would sound better. I'll guess that there would be very little difference. If yours is apart it would be a great time to experiment. No way I would go to the trouble. But I'm lazy like that. Smile

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 7:51 am    

Bobby Boggs wrote:
Till the experts check in. It seems a no brainier that metal would make the best stop bar.As for sound. The guitars that I've played that had a wooden stop bar were all Bolt On's with aluminum necks. The one's with metal were Cut Tails. Two different animals. So no way I can offer and opinion as to which would sound better. I'll guess that there would be very little difference. If yours is apart it would be a great time to experiment. No way I would go to the trouble. But I'm lazy like that. Smile

I don't know Bobby. It would be a very hard experiment as the wood stop bars are glued in I understand. I was talking with my pal Randy Beavers and his #1 Zum Hybrid has a wood stop bar as does his 67 Push Pull. I see both sides honestly. Billy Knowles made a point that if Ron Sr would have thought the wood sounded better he would have stuck with it. I think the metal would reduce cabinet drop too not that PPs have much anyway.

I still would like to hear form the experts which I am not...

Thx

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 9:28 am    

It seems like the wood stop bar would be more susceptible to having tuning issues since it would more easily wear (dent) where the mechanism hits it.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 1:20 pm    

Quote:
I still would like to hear form the experts..

Me to.
Quote:
Billy Knowles made a point that if Ron Sr would have thought the wood sounded better he would have stuck with it. I think the metal would reduce cabinet drop too not that PPs have much anyway. too not that PPs have much anyway.

Agreed. If Ron SR. thought a Wrap_Around sounded better. He would have never stopped building them. His words to me. Not mine.
Quote:
I think the metal stop would reduce cabinet drop.

I disagree. I think what little cabinet drop they have comes from the changer. Just my personal opinion.
However, I can see how excessive foot pressure could cause cabinet drop.

Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 6:51 pm    

My '68 had a wood stop bar and my '71 fatback has the metal stop bar. I can't say I ever attributed any tonal differences to the stop bars... maybe some weight. There must have been some concern for cabinet drop as my '71 also has the metal straps along the bottom edge of the aprons.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2017 9:35 pm    

Roger Crawford wrote:
It seems like the wood stop bar would be more susceptible to having tuning issues since it would more easily wear (dent) where the mechanism hits it.

Push pulls don't get their tuning from the pedal stop, only the changer stop,against body. The pedal stops are for making a positive pedal stop after the changer has bottomed out so a dent in wood would be of little consequence.

Mike, I wouldn't see anything wrong with wood unless it does change tone but some of early Emmons had wood stops and they sounded great. I agree with Bobby B on cabinet drop and don't think it would make any difference. I've never worried with it anyway.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.