The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Prices and Inflation
Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2017 7:24 pm    

I think the pedal steel has always been over priced. Compare a 1970 telecaster retail price or a Les Paul or a Gibson Mastertone banjo to a pedal steel and it looks pricey for the time. When you consider based on the minimum wage that Henry quoted a $1.60 which equals to $3100. annually that's before taxes after taxes that leaves around $2600. Doesn't leave a lot after one purchases a double 10 with 8 and 4 plus amp and volume pedal etc. I think its somewhat easier for young people to get into steel today than it was in the 60s or 70s although, its never been easy.

Tom Keller

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2017 8:17 pm     Steel Guitars of Yesteryear.

January 1973, brand new MSA Semi-Classic S-10 3x1 wood grain Formica w/case, a little over $500. And anytime I needed adjustments or thought I heard some noise or something going on in it, I would haul it over to the factory and they would immediately put on the bench, fix it and explain to me what they did. The MSA factory really helped me on my steel guitar journey and I'm forever grateful. If I wasn't in the twilight of my life I would seriously consider a new MSA, but old Emmons will last way past when I leave this Earth.