The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  compare early ZB to Emmons PP
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 6:57 pm    

What can you tell me would be the major differences between an early to mid 70s ZB and a cuttail Emmons PP? Assume both are D10s with their respective stock pickups. Tone, pedal and lever action, ease or lack thereof of making adjustments, holding tune. Whatever else comes to mind.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 9:40 pm    

They are two completely different animals. Both have their good qualities of course. Emmons is the revered and most know guitar. The ZB is built like a tank and weights as much as one,ha!. But stays in tune forever. And gives you that classic Buck Owens/Tom Brumbley sound. They are a stiffer pull but you can overcome that. Pedal changes are perhaps a little harder. Once you understand how the system works you can work on them with ease. The tone from the pickup is one of a kind. They usually have a three way switch that gives you a wide range of sound. The ZB is very solid and plays very well and stays in place. I think you will find the action on the pedals to be quick and fast. Good luck with your venture, J.R. Rose

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 11:58 pm    

I just listened to the Buck Owens Carnegie Hall live album, or at least side one. The ZB sounds excellent. Of course the operator was top notch.

I've read that the ZB changer has the fingers resting on the end plate when pedals are engaged. Sounds similar to what's happened on a PP Emmons. I've also read that there is virtually zero cabinet drop with the ZB. That would be nice.

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 7:10 am    

There's something really magical and musical about the sound and tone of a ZB, at least a good example of one. They have a certain organic character that makes all other guitars sound like they are mechanical devices created in a factory in comparison. I love my vintage Sho~Bud and it has a more powerful sound in a way because of its higher output pickups. But returning to a ZB is like coming home for some reason.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 7:48 am    

Paul is correct.
The changer on a ZB and a p/p Emmons are vary similar.
There is a solid screw contact when changes are made, the changer finger is not hanging out in mid air like with most other changers.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2017 8:22 am    

Here is a little tune I wrote and recorded with my 1969 11/10 string ZB that Tom Brumley built in Bakersfield. I've got all kinds of steels and it does have a more organic sound like a push pull Emmons as opposed to all pull guitars but it has a different kind of zing mainly due to the half moon stainless steel finger caps that just rest on the actuators rather than the tops being integral to the whole finger. Can't go wrong with either an Emmons PP or a ZB. When I recorded this piece it was unplayable to most players. The pedals were binding and very hard to push down and the lever that drops the E's was a good six inches from where it needed to be. A 600 lb. man must have previously owned it. The ZB was plugged straight into the consoles mic preamp via Countryman direct box and recorded flat with no eq or reverb. I did all the doctoring in the mix. No guitar amp was used. I punched in 3 or 4 bars to do something different so the video will be out of sync in those spots. Everything is spontaneous. Writing it as the track moves along. I never play anything the same way twice. Lol! I just made a bass and drum track. I'm a bass player but worthless for a drummer so the rhythm wobbles around a bit. It's kinda fun jumping on the old ZB now and then. Kinda like jumping in a 60's Eldorado Cadillac. Long hood in front of you and lots of horsepower!

https://youtu.be/FDEd01mNQyI

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2017 11:56 am    

Just curious: what year would a ZB with sn 0216 have been built? Also, what's a ball park price to pay someone to tear apart and rebuilt the mechanics of an old ZB D10?

From searching further, it looks like the guitar is a 1970 build. But then I'm not an authority on ZBs.

Last edited by Paul Sutherland on 3 Sep 2017 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2017 1:08 pm    

Billy Knowles and Greg Jones are the ones to talk to. If you haven't already just become Facebook friends. Nearly instant answers.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2017 5:08 pm    

both great sounding guitars, mechanically not as smooth or quick as a modern all pull, but both guitars have a tone to die for.... 👍👍👍

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 7:39 am    

Here's what my ZB looks like after I rebuilt it:

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 8:36 am    

👍👍👍

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 8:47 am    

Paul,
I would not venture a guess as to what a person would charge to get a ZB rebuilt like I did mine.
I have over a $1,000 in parts alone that I bought from Wayne Link to convert it to a cross shaft mechanism.
It is patterned after a MSA Classic guitar.
A lot of the parts I made myself, like cross shafts and etc.
The disassembly, refinishing and re-assembly took more time than I care to repeat. Whoa!

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 9:30 am    

I did notice Erv that your undercarriage was not made up from the block of a 327 Chevy Motor. That was the one thing that killed me with mine. Loved the sound but couldn't tote it.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2017 7:44 am    

Craig,
To help ease the pain, I ordered a two piece case through Bill Rudolph and that helped. Very Happy

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2017 7:02 pm    

ZB string spacing is closer together, pedals might need a combat boot on some guitars. Zeebs have a sound all their own, got to love it.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 8:20 pm    

Killer tone David Mitchell on that old Zed Bee, love it, nice tight chops too. (keep those vintage pick ups in there) 👍🏻