The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud pedal rack question
Greg Gefell

Upstate NY
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 5:27 pm    

Anybody know if the pedal racks that fit on a Maverick (brown vinyl covered era) would've been a different length than other Sho-Bud pedal racks? I'm trying to replace the lost pedal rack for a refurbed/upgraded maverick. Found a rack for sale (late model LDG) but its measurements are an inch shorter than what I need.

For my guitar I need the distance indicated in photo to be 32 3/8 and the LDG model comes up as 31 3/8. Just wondering if I'm going to be out of luck with anything but a Maverick pedal rack or building my own?

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 6:47 pm    

Yes there is NOTHING Sho-bud that goes along with a Maverick....Letalone; the LDG from birth to end; had 5 different model/mech changes....and hard to transfer one model piece to another of the same brand and model...ha...and nobody at sho-bud used or owned a ruler.
Ricky

Last edited by Ricky Davis on 6 Sep 2017 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 6:47 pm    

ooops

Greg Gefell

Upstate NY
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 4:37 am    

Good to know Ricky - THX. I'll look for a maverick one or just build my own at this point.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 11:25 am    

I have pedal racks here for a late model Maverick and one each from a Pro-I and 6160 12 string. The overall length is basically the same for all three. The center-to-center spacing of the leg channels is slightly different -- 32 3/8" for the two pro model vs. 32 1/2" for the Maverick.

The Maverick does not have telescoping legs so the routed channel is bigger, 7/8" vs. 5/8", so that if I were to enlarge the channels 1/4" toward the ends of one of the pro model racks to accommodate the larger diameter of the Maverick legs it would work just fine.

If you have access to a mill the enlarging would be simple, somewhat tedious to do it by hand but still quite doable. You may want to double check the length of the one you found for sale.

Maverick on left, Pro-I/6160 on right:

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 8:50 pm    

Just a thought and it might not be the way you wanna go, but if you were to enlongate that pedal rack and your worried about side play, you could do the old MSA trick and drill and tap threads in the pedal board like the MSA used to be, then drill the holes in your lower legs to mount, use wing nuts.

Greg Gefell

Upstate NY
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2017 8:07 am    

Thanks for the information and photo. Where on earth could I get a 36 inch piece of that aluminum C channel with the grooves in the photo? I've never even seen that type of channel for sale, whats its called?

I actually have pedal mounts that will fit in those grooves and I could then drill out the exact leg spacing I need.

Greg Gefell

Upstate NY
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2017 8:13 am    

Ian, would it be possible to take another photo with the tape measuring the width of the channel? I'd like to know the its overall width and the distance between the 3 slotted (grooved) channels.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2017 9:53 am    

Greg, the channel is 2"x 3/4" on the outside, picture of extruded slots below. It's pretty doubtful you'll find anything resembling this extrusion though. The inner slots are called "T-slots", they probably had it done as a custom job, figure 5,000-6,000 guitars x 3' each, that's a lot of material. Someone may have ended up with the leftovers, you might check with Jeff Surrat.

Prior to about '75 Sho-Bud just used a standard aluminum U-channel with simple pillow blocks to support the axle like in the pic below. Would be very easy to fabricate using standard materials. I don't have one of those to measure but perhaps someone else can provide the correct dimensions. In this pic from the forum it looks like 1-3/4" x 1" x 1/8" 6063 aluminum, same as used on Emmons guitars. 6063 is the stuff you'll want for the square corners.

Greg Gefell

Upstate NY
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2017 11:34 am    

Excellent! Thanks for your help.