The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anybody else use a SWR Red Head amp?
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2017 5:00 pm    

I recently "inherited" an SWR Red Head amp that was used by a former bass player. Sounds great, two speaker cabs, little to no hum if you use the correct input and set the switches correctly. 240 watts, tube preamp (12ax7), probably 1994 vintage.

Heavy stack, wont be dragging it around, mostly use it for home/music room stuff.

I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with using this amp package for steel... Pros, Cons, or recommendations welcome.

Thanks.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 8:04 am    

I have "tripled" using a SWR SM-500 for... 12 years or so? Bass, steel, guitar. It's actually bigger than I even need, 250-watts-per-side, but headroom, my oh my. I use "real" bass speakers for bass, currently a G-K 2X12, and a pair of 12" Peavey Black Widows for guitar & steel. Though I'm only playing quiet ones now so I've been getting by with my "little" speakers, one's a 12" Fender monitor speaker, the other, a $70 Eminence 12" PA speaker. In a tweedy Vox cabinet I found in a dumpster.

I use a modeler for the delays, reverb & such - rarely needed for bass though. Currently a Digitech RP250 cause I'm really used to it, where freqs are and such. The long, narrow, flat linoleum rooms do EVERYTHING about reverb you'd want (and then some). I can't ever find anything... wrong with the way it sounds, just with what I play sometimes. Dead-clean (or not), bomb-proof, what's not to love?

The modern model for bass heads, with a semi-parametric midrange and frequency sweep - it's the SAME as the modern model for steel amps. Though six-strung guitarists DO get to buy 17 different amps searching for their idealized, celestially-cosmic midrange, and all I've got is this stupid little knob. Crying or Very sad