The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Acoustic guitar advice requested
Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 10:22 am    

One of the bands I play with is mainly acoustic, with which I play my dobro. But we mix it up with some old rock songs for which I play an electric tele type six string. They want the sound to stay more acoustic and although I have a Martin, that won't cut it for most of the rock songs. Plus I like to bend strings on my (pretty basic) leads Smile
I was looking at the now discontinued Chet Atkins SST acoustic electric hybrid because it seems to come close to having an electric guitar type neck but I can't find one to try except on eBay.
Anybody played one of these? Does it feel like an electric, yet sound like an acoustic?
Are there any others that might work?

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 11:28 am    

The Yamaha Silent Electric Guitar was designed as a practice tool, but works reasonably well as an "electric acoustic," without the hyphen, and you can get away with stringing them pretty light.

Or one of the Godin pseudo-acoustics. Lots cheaper than a Chet, in any case.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 11:59 am    

You might take a look at a few Taylor models, Tony. Basically an acoustic guitar on steroids with their new "expression system" (built-in behind the saddle pickup and preamp with volume and tone controls). It's a fairly hot well-balanced pickup and can be played at quite loud volume without feeding back. The playability and action on Taylors in general is pretty impressive for an acoustic guitar.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 3:59 pm    

You might also want to look at one of the Acoustic Simulator Stomp Boxes. I have a Boss AC-2 and while I have never been able to get it to make an electric sound acoustic, it does alter the sound. Use of an acoustic amp is recommended.

I tried a Fender Tele and an Epi Wildkat without any real success. I also have a Gretsch Electromatic 12-String (thinline) that sounds pretty bad through an acoustic (Roland AC-33) amp. With that pedal, it sounds pretty good. Use of a Pedal like that is going to depend on the individual guitar and amp, but it might be something worth looking into.

Have fun! Cool

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 1:41 am    

Hey TP, the other TP here...

I have a very similar situation with a local artist I play with very often, . I use a Gold Tone Dobro with a simple Schatten Spider PUP and my Taylor 414CE with either 10's or 11's . The Taylor is a "Pre Expression" system, meaning it has the earlier Fishman system , with on board EQ's and volume controls. Lots of tone variation.

I plug them both into a Baggs Venue and when I need a tad more "UUMPH" I use the Boost button on the Venue. The Venue is plugged into the PA system.

Taylor guitars have very consistent fast/slim neck profiles which you may like. The street talk is " play one you've played em' all " They are also a tad brighter than Martins .

I have owned Taylor 114'S, 214'S and a couple of 414's and each can cut any gig plugged in as you seek. One thing though, if you are playing along side a Martin Dreadnought ,UNPLUGGED , the Martins project much better overall. But thats Martin's world . It's not a dig on the Taylors, it's just what it is. But plugged in , they are awesome, especially with the earlier Fishman systems which would be pre 2003 I think. If you are seeking a fast action guitar , check them out .

Being a 9's Tele picker I find that the Taylor with 10's or even 11's fits the slot nicely "plugged in ".

All it takes is money ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 3:50 am    

Thanks! Some good suggestions. I knew about the acoustic pedal but never tried one...saving that as a last resort. Didn't know about the Taylor's action, will
definitely look into that. All that being said, I watched some YouTube demos on the SST and it really fits the bill....for what (I think) I'm looking for. Apparently Epiphone makes a very low price SST copy so that's an option too. Frankly, at my age and long career/hobby of playing music, I want something really good and don't want to struggle with fit and finish, poor action, etc.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 8:45 am    

Wow Tony, I checked out the Taylor T5Z on YouTube! That's definitely what I'm looking for...but bigggg bucks:(

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 9:33 am    

http://prsguitars.com/products/se_acoustic/

I have one on the way... Picked it over a Taylor 314 CE.. They can be had between $500-600 on line for the A10 and $100 more for the 20,, same guitars except the a10 is all mahogany, including the top, and the higher end model is more bright like a Taylor.. Taylors are GREAT guitars, but are really really bright.. The mahogany PRS is still a bright sounding guitar, but has more pronouced mids, and a bigger rounder bottom... Before you spend thousands on a a high end AE guitar, try one of the PRS Angelus guitars out, and read up on them online, and check them out on youtube.. wonderful guitars, that are as good as all and better than many guitars that are double the cost. I knew a guy that had one several years ago, and it sounded absolutely magnificent, and played as easily as a PRS electric.. They have PRS electric style necks, and they are well known for playing like a good electric, but sounding like a good acoustic.. I played a few, and ordered one.. The Taylor I was about to take home is still in its stand at guitar center, and the PRS should be here tomorrow... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 12:01 pm    

Hey Tony, you can get by with just about any acoustic electric which lets you drop the action lower, this usually eliminates Martins though. I have an Ovation and a Breedlove which I use for the type of gigging you referred to. What I do is just use a set of 10-46 Ernie Ball slinkys instead of the acoustic set and you have the unwrapped G string to bend to your heart's content along with your high E and B... On my Ovation I even have a B-bender made by Richard Bowden down in Texas....JH in Va.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 12:25 pm    

I'm scratching my head as to why the Martin won't work with a pickup added especially if you were to put some Lights like 11's on there so that you can do some string bending.
The Ernie Ball Slinkys 10's mentioned earlier strikes me as a pretty good idea as well.

Of course, we need more information. Which model? Is the action really high, etc.?

As far as the bigger companies go, there have probably been as many or more Martins used as an acoustic guitar in a rock setting as the other brands which have been popular over the decades.

And if you feel the Martin for whatever reason just isn't going to work, there are already some great suggestions here but it's a pretty vast subject - there are a boatload of guitars out there that would work.

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 3:37 pm    

Thanks again for the great suggestions. First of all, like everyone, I'm a pedal
steel player. Secondly, like most of us, I also play guitar (hey, who doesn't!?).
Third of all, Im playing mostly dobro in this band in which the lead vocal plays his Martin. I've been able to get by with some electric tele stuff on oldies and classic rock songs like Everly Bros, Elvis, a little Skynard, simple Allman bros stuff, etc. but they want to keep an acoustic sound. The others are upright bass and harmonica. I fake my way through ok on the tele because of the nice action and light gauge strings, but my Martin really doesn't have the nice neck I need to get by.
Had no idea PRS made a similar guitar...will be checking that out asap.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 3:56 pm    

Tony Palmer wrote:
Thanks again for the great suggestions. First of all, like everyone, I'm a pedal
steel player. Secondly, like most of us, I also play guitar (hey, who doesn't!?).
Third of all, Im playing mostly dobro in this band in which the lead vocal plays his Martin. I've been able to get by with some electric tele stuff on oldies and classic rock songs like Everly Bros, Elvis, a little Skynard, simple Allman bros stuff, etc. but they want to keep an acoustic sound. The others are upright bass and harmonica. I fake my way through ok on the tele because of the nice action and light gauge strings, but my Martin really doesn't have the nice neck I need to get by.
Had no idea PRS made a similar guitar...will be checking that out asap.

The PRS is an acoustic, single cutaway, but the neck is not really a typical acoustic neck.. They play and feel like an electric guitar, but the sound is all acoustic.. Check it out on youtube, there a bunch of demos..
type in PRS Angelus SE

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 3:35 am    

Godin acoustic electrics are hard to beat, they sound great, play great, and are reasonably priced. I've had a bunch of Godins and only one that I didn't like, which must have been made on an off day.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 6:33 am    

The PRS SE versus the Taylor 314CE: One reason for the big cost difference is that the Taylor is all solid wood. The PRS appears to be solid top with laminated back and sides.

If you want an all solid wood AE guitar for less than $1000 I have two suggestions.
1) Look at Guild. I bought a Guild GAD F130-RCE a couple of years ago. I don't think that they offer it any more, but they probably offer something similar.
2) Epiphone Masterbilt AJ45-ME (I think that's the right number). This was a close second to the Guild and I'd have been happy with it. All solid wood, non-cutaway similar to a Gibson J45 body style.

The dobro duties with your band: If you do get the AE, you can then simulate the dobro with your AE, a slide and the old Boss GE-7 dobro settings trick. I recorded a couple of things with it, and it works.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 8:16 am    

Darvin Willhoite wrote:
Godin acoustic electrics are hard to beat, they sound great, play great, and are reasonably priced. I've had a bunch of Godins and only one that I didn't like, which must have been made on an off day.

I am a fan of Godins also for the same reasons as Darvin stated. That would be my vote.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 11:42 am    

ajm wrote:
The PRS SE versus the Taylor 314CE: One reason for the big cost difference is that the Taylor is all solid wood. The PRS appears to be solid top with laminated back and sides.

Wood "recipe" aside, I would say the biggest reason for the cost difference is that the Taylor 314CE is produced in El Cajon in San Diego County, and the PRS Angelus SE is built in China.

Not being critical - I think the PRS imports are pretty nice guitars.

IMO the best acoustic guitars coming out of China are from Eastman. They are more expensive than most of the other imports from the likes of Guild (GAD) or Epiphone, but they can give any number of higher end American made acoustics a good run for their money.

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 12:38 pm    

Another vote here for Godin. Great acoustic sound for not too much money.

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 6 Oct 2017 1:33 pm    

Godins are indeed good bang for the buck. I have one that was originally in the $500 range when I bought it about 15 years ago and it is a pretty respectable instrument. It's no threat to my Custom Shop Martin - but then it was also a fraction of the price. But like most other good-sized companies, there is a big range in quality from the lower priced models vs. the higher end.

Particularity for someone who has already been playing for a number of years the first question for me is "what's your budget - how much are you willing to spend?"

I've actually run across a handful of people in the past several years (obviously not players) who are shocked when they hear that acoustic guitars often cost more than a thousand dollars. Whoa! Like, "why would anyone ever pay that much for a guitar - that's just crazy!"

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 1:49 am    

well not in response to play-ability but in response to that age old question.

RE:

"why would anyone ever pay that much for a guitar - that's just crazy"!

Well why are Martin D28's still the king of the hill after decades ? Come on, they cost just shy of 3 grand ?

What do Taylors cost so much ? I mean a nice 414 is near 2 grand new.

well here is the other side of the coin, and we each already know this. for example , Taylor and Martin...

1) they are USA made and are very high quality , WOOD Instruments, selected woods for various models. Reputation precedes them.

2) when you don't want it any more you can sell it in a day or two for very close to what you paid , you don't own it for life.

Personally I have gone thru maybe 6 different Taylor guitars, stepping up if you will. Finding the model that best fits my needs and purpose. They were each excellent but different. They were each on the market for a few days before another player came by and bought it. Resale of a guitar such as a Martin or Taylor is a no brainer. I lost zero money.

I am not dissing any brand, there are many really nice players out there, but they are not all equal when it comes to the other end of the transaction should we decide to step up or try another model.

Case in point, I have a few Tele buddies who love the Chinese Classic Vibe Telecasters, they said they play so great, the necks are awesome. I agree, I bought one , well, just because. I think it was $300, maybe $350. Did you ever try to sell a Classic Vibe Telecaster or trade it in, or even trade it ? I did, I ended up giving it away to a friend ! That play-ability thing ran it's course and other "total Instrument" things came to the forefront.

IF resale is not an issue and never will be , don't bother with a Martin or a Taylor etc, grab the best playing guitar with a pickup at half the price or less, and you will be in a happy place !

I wonder how many of us Steel and/or Guitar players ever bought an Instrument then never tried to sell it a bit later ? I confess, I am not in that club.

Oh yeah, only because it is mentioned above, I own an Eastman 515 Mandolin ,( Chinese ) bought it used for near $600. I love it. My REAL Mandolin playing friends who own Gibsons or Collins etc.. they pick it up, play it and say it's nice, then put it down ! They are very kind ! Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website