The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Windows 10 update problem
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 6:43 am    

Nothing would open that there wasn't a shortcut on my desktop. No internet and no path to anything else.
Tried everything to fix it and finally just gave up and did a work around.
I have no idea as to how they plan to fix this, as usual they will try to blame the consumer and give us instruction to fix it ourselves which will take as long as two days. More than likely a scam to get you to purchase tech support. I hate windows 10.
Oh by the way you are going to have to pay for updates and a monthly fee pretty soon for the privilege of using the wonderful windows 10.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 6:50 am    

A little more info and maybe someone can help you. I have three PC's with Win 10 and all updates and no problems.

I even have an advanced "beta" version and it too works without problems.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 7:03 am    

Yes some PC were not affected for whatever reason but that doesn't mean that this is somehow my fault>
It was their anniversary automatic update and it affected millions of computers one of them mine. Folks can read all about it online. It did varying things to different computers,
The thing it did to mine it took out the 2nd desktop so no apps or anything not showing on desktop one would work.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 8:23 am    

Try rolling back to the previous version. Open the Start Menu, click on the Settings icon (usually second icon up from the Start button). When Settings opens click on Update and Security > Recovery and see if there is a link to roll back to a previous build. There is also a troubleshooter section on the security page.

See this HowToGeek article for help with rolling back and uninstalling updates.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 10:40 am    

There are some PC's that should not have been upgraded to Win 10. There are some apps or devices that will not work or work properly with Win 10. A fully compatible (hardware) PC will work with Win 10 without problems. Some applications are iffy. Some external peripherals can be iffy. I had a Roland PCR500 USB connected MIDI keyboard. Roland discontinued them about 5 years ago and Win 8.1 drivers were the last that they issued. The PCR500 was working with a hacked Win 8.1 driver on Win 10 until the Anniversary update. After the Anniversary update it no longer worked. This was not Microsoft's fault, it is Roland for abandoning support (drivers) for the device (Roland has abandoned support for many older devices).

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 1:51 pm    

To add. I just saw a notice on the tenforums.com that the "Fall Creators Upgrade" is slated for mid October.

I have that on my Windows Insider Win 10 installation (when it upgrades it says welcome to the fall creator's upgrade in the first welcome panel). I'm not having any problems with it. I have my recording studio DAW, Cakewalk Sonar, installed and my recording hardware and its all working OK.

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 8:49 am    

I upgraded from window 8.1 with the free windows 10. Hated it but had no problems.
I don't know the name of the update at all, I do know it was the last one I got. It downloaded at shut down. the next time I turned the computer on it was obvious there was a problem.
When you right clicked on the windows Icon in the lower left corner it brings up a whole list of anything I would want access like "search" "file explorer" etc.. The screen will go black a then return to desktop. Nothing you right click on works. Trouble shoot says no path and so far no fix.
None of the suggested fixes work. The Tech guy can't even fix it. He tells me to wait for the next update, I heard that will be sometime in October.
wow Microsoft, talk about not giving a crap!!

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 10:38 am    

Stuart Legg wrote:
I upgraded from window 8.1 with the free windows 10.

SNIP

The Tech guy can't even fix it. He tells me to wait for the next update, I heard that will be sometime in October.

I was in a similar quandary around the end of the Winter this year. I had upgraded to Windows 10, but had some crashes and things not working right. After trying and failing to fix the problems, I chose to perform a Windows 10 Reset This PC recovery option. Following that process, everything worked properly.

Performing a Reset will uninstall every program that didn't ship with your build of Windows 10. These programs will all need to be reinstalled. One of them may be responsible for the desktop problems you are experiencing. There will be a new folder created on every desktop for all accounts you have on the PC. The folder contains a list of the programs that were removed.

Your personal profile items will remain intact as long as they are within the Documents, Pictures, Music and Video system folders. If you have created a downloads folder in the C drive, it will be left alone. To be safe, copy any files that are in your profile's "Downloads" folder into a new folder under C, like C:\Downloads. That way you're covered if the reset removes those files. I personally copied every document, picture, music and video file to an external USB drive before running the Reset.

Doing this reset removes clutter from all of the system directories and from the Registry. Crashes are often caused by dll file collisions and conflicting Registry entries from leftovers of previous installs of programs. Other times, system files are replaced by programs that want to use their own version of a file. These are poorly coded programs.

Sometimes, your anti-virus program will get a bad definition update and go crazy and delete system files. This will certainly cause instability!

Expect to spend a day or two reinstalling software. But, check the creator's websites first to see if they have newer versions of those programs that are designed to work with Windows 10 (including the newest build).
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 5 Sep 2017 2:02 pm    

Wiz are you suggesting that the windows 10 update is not the problem?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2017 4:37 pm    

Stuart Legg wrote:
Wiz are you suggesting that the windows 10 update is not the problem?

Based on my own experiences with Windows 10, a qualified yes. The update probably unearthed a 3rd party code problem waiting to come out.

Have you tried rolling back to before the latest update?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 2:19 am    

There are those that "hate" Windows 10 and any problem that crops up is blamed on Win 10. On an upgraded PC there can be many issues, one is Win 10, another is the older hardware, another is a driver, another is a program, etc. Not a "one fits all" problem.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 7:49 am    

It is because of occasional software incompatibilities that Microsoft allows Windows computer owners to uninstall and roll back any updates that appear to cause problems on their PCs. In the case of individual Security Bulletin updates, they are uninstallable until they are replaced by a newer patch. Service pack/version level updates used to have longer removability than Windows 10 allows. You now have only 10 days to roll back a version upgrade.

Stuart;
if the latest build of W10 broke your desktop icons or caused other serious issues, use the roll back to previous build feature before it goes away. If Microsoft sees a lot of complaints about the same problems it may tweak the files that are responsible. They would incorporate that fix into a new sub-version and release it later on, or through a downloadable patch.

It is important to not delete the normally hidden folders containing the previous build's files until either the roll back period expires, or a new build has been installed. Still, it's a good idea to wait a couple weeks before letting CCleaner or Windows Cleanup remove old Windows installation folders.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 8:53 am     How to disable automatic Windows 10 updates

In the event that one's Windows 10 computer becomes unstable after a new patch, or build, if you use the roll back option you may find that the same patch or build begins downloading in the background after you reboot. If this occurs, you are able to temporarily disable the Windows Update Service in the hopes that the faulty patch or build will be re-released with fixes. The best understandable details I have found are on The Windows Club.

Note, that eventually you will need to accept new patches that fix critical vulnerabilities. This requires turning on the Update Service. Then, all missed updates will begin downloading the next time the PC checks for updates. This becomes a cat and mouse game until you learn what is causing the bad interactions between your computers and Windows Updates.

Since code is written by humans and we are imperfect, there will be buggy patches and builds released every now and then. That's why the roll back to previous (build/version) exists for X number of days (currently 10). Windows 10 contains a feature to create bootable recovery media (USB or CD/DVD disk) that can be used to boot into the recovery options screen before Windows attempts to load. I have used this feature myself and it works. I recommend doing this before you have problems from an update!

Read this Go To Geek article to learn about the options for creating a recovery drive or physical disk in Windows 10.