The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Least favorite guitars you have owned?
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2017 12:22 pm    

Larry Phleger wrote:
Sho Bud crossover. A real piece of junk. It never stayed in tune. The rack and barrel system was horrible, and the shift lever never did work as it should. If I remember correctly, Bobbie Seymour once sold one of these beasts for a dollar a pound just to get rid of it.

I had one that worked fine. I just didn't like the sound of it. I sold it to a friend who likes it. I'm not really much of a Sho-Bud guy.

I wasn't fond of the ZB Custom S-10 or the Fender 1000. The ZB was too hard to work on, and the Fender was just too big for me. They weren't bad instruments - just not right for me.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2017 12:57 pm    

Somebody email'd me about the Electraharp. It was basically a Multi-Kord with a fancy cabinet and knobs. But it was the first time I could push a pedal and make an A chord out of an E chord.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Douglas Kinney

Muldrow, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 5:43 am     GFI Student Model

I would have to say my first which was a New 2017 GFI S10 Student Model. The pedals were noisey when pressed, did not stay in tune. Sound was not that great. I was playing it through a Peavey Nashville 112. After a month I sold it at a significant loss, and ordered a Mullen Discovery from Mullen Steel Guitars. I love the Discovery.

"Those that can, play steel, those who can't... listen."
Mullen Discovery S10, Peavey Nashville 112, Ernie Ball Jr Volume Pedal
K5DPK Amateur Radio Operator Extra Class

Pat Heller

Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 6:53 am     Worst Guitar

For sure a Sho-Bud Crossover. I had it for 2 days - broke into somebody's garage and left it.

Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 7:44 pm    

Having a super pro is Not such a big deal i paid through the nose for the one i got it came to me with cracked paint all over the top of it cross rods were out of their brackets , tiny knee levers hurt my legs when i pushed on them ,Never again they seen me coming on that guitar . For almost 3 grand you would think id got a better deal .

Terry Winter

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 8:15 pm    

I guess me least favorite would be my first guitar a MSA Sidekick which would drift out of tune all the time no matter what I used on the set screws. Our little three piece group won a regional talent contest which included some recording at the CBC studios in Regina. The engineer could hear it drifting at various times and he patiently let me adjust and re-tune a couple of times Sad

Earl Terry

norwalk Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 2:32 am    

1. Pierce 2. older Excell 3. Carter starter.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 10:36 pm    

My first steel, an early ZB Custom Double 10. Sounded ok, but an elephant couldn't push the pedals down. I did buy it used. Sent it in to ZB, came back playing even worse. Was told it would cost a bundle to make it right, i sold it through Scotty's.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2017 12:57 am    

That would be my Sho-Bud Maverick, the later version with the vinyl covering. Not too bad, a bit more string breaking that my other guitars, but it got me started. Just not as good as my later guitars.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 8:24 am    

My first pedal steel was a "Little Buddy" made by USA guitar. I picked it up used in the early 80's for something like $50. Yeah, I guess it was worth that..... Functionally similar to a mica Maverick. Oh, and it had a very awkward 4th pedal connected to a volume pot. The body was incredibly wobbly. I eventually mounted the pedals to a new board that was about 10" high and attached with 2 wing nuts on each leg. (I was working in a Formica shop at the time and was able to match the mica) That stabilized it a bit. The only good thing I can say about the guitar is that it was an affordable way to try out pedal steel.....an option that is pretty hard to find these days.

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 8:53 am    

Of the modern guitars I have owned a D10, 8+6 Franklin and a U12 Carter were the worst sounding . They both played ok but the sound sucked.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 8:57 am    

I've really never had a guitar I hated except one. It was one of the major brands double ten, beautiful and in great shape. You couldn't make that thing sound decent with any amp or any pickup. I tried everything and finally gave up on it and sold it. It may have been one of those lemons as someone mentioned. I wanted to play it and keep it because it played so easy but the sound just wasn't there. Thought it was just me so had others try it and they agreed with me. It was just dead. The person that bought it loves it so go figure, lol. I told them about the way I felt about the tone of it before I sold it also but they still love it.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 6:19 pm    

I bought my first PSG in 1985. I have owned a Sho-Bud D-10 Pro III, (2) MSA S-10 Semi-Classic's, (1) MSA S-10 Classic, (1) Carter U-12, (2) Zum StageOne's, still have one, (1) Mullen Discovery, and a new one on order, and I have never had one I didn't love. At 42 the Sho-Bud was fine, but at 62 it became to heavy, right now, at 76, I find the Discovery to be one outstanding guitar all around. I'm sure the Encore would be the same. However, I'm not in any band, I just play in a bedroom, converted to a music room, soon to be changed back to a bedroom, to raise another grand child, or should I say a great grand child. Not by choice.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 6:24 pm    

Just so no one gets the wrong idea. I have raised four of our own children, then three that were not mine and not as foster parents, then 4 grand children. It's a very long story. Thanks for all you guys here.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Jim Bloomfield

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 7:24 pm    

Jim Reynolds wrote:
Just so no one gets the wrong idea. I have raised four of our own children, then three that were not mine and not as foster parents, then 4 grand children. It's a very long story. Thanks for all you guys here.

I'm sure your selfless parenting has made a very meaningful impact on those children through the years. God bless you.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 7:51 am    

Bill Moran wrote:
Of the modern guitars I have owned a D10, 8+6 Franklin and a U12 Carter were the worst sounding . They both played ok but the sound sucked.

Whoa! I never seen anyone dis the sound of a Franklin before! What pickup was in it?

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 8:18 am    

I've only played one Franklin when I lived in.A. I subbed for Dan Tyack one night in Long Beach with a band and Dan was nice enough to leave his Franklin guitar and it sounded great,I also liked the spiderweb fret markers.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Walter Glockler

Northern New Mexico
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 8:51 am    

Sierra Timberwolf

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 3:26 pm    

It's a toss up between my '65 wraparound and my '89 Franklin, both sounded like a**. Kept them both for as long as it took to get rid of them. Traded one for a Sho-Bud Pro ll with two hole pullers but that was terrible too. Managed to unload that in a deal for a Carter starter and a Maverick. Traded the Maverick for a Red Baron, put the Carter out on the curb. Now I'm happy., the Red Baron's "growl" is second to none!

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 3:46 pm    

I have owned over 30 pedal steels in my lifetime. Most have been superb after a bit of setting up. The worst one was a make beginning with M. The tone was horrendous and I just couldn't get any warmth out of it despite endless hours of tweaking the knobs on my amp. I sold it and the eventual buyer was very happy I hear. It looked the business, but the tone would make your eyes bleed. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 6:15 pm    

WOW! I can't believe it's the M, I'm thinking. It sure can't be.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 6:41 pm    

Cartwright Thompson wrote:
It's a toss up between my '65 wraparound and my '89 Franklin, both sounded like a**. Kept them both for as long as it took to get rid of them. Traded one for a Sho-Bud Pro ll with two hole pullers but that was terrible too. Managed to unload that in a deal for a Carter starter and a Maverick. Traded the Maverick for a Red Baron, put the Carter out on the curb. Now I'm happy., the Red Baron's "growl" is second to none!

No offense intended, but you need professional counseling.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 7:43 pm    

Blasphemy, Herb, blasphemy! I feel your pain.

But you have to admire those contact paper Mavericks.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 7:45 pm    

Herb Steiner wrote:
Cartwright Thompson wrote:

No offense intended, but you need professional counseling.

I think Mr Thompson is having a wind-up of everyone here. Not many have taken the bait. He almost had us with his trade upwards of a '65 wraparound and Franklin to an MSA Red Baron and Carter Starter until he said that the RB had "growl" when we all know it has "meow". Laughing Laughing
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2017 6:04 am    

Quote:
Whoa! I never seen anyone dis the sound of a Franklin before! What pickup was in it?

710's b0b.