The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Excel JB Frypan w/case Please Close-going to keep it !
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 3:15 pm    

This is a very nice JB Frypan steel that I rarely play and someone would enjoy it I am sure. I know nothing about these steels, but I hope the pictures tell the story and perhaps someone can chime in who is more knowledgeable than I am. The pickup, tone, volume control all function as they should with no scratchiness. The case is in EC as well. The stand is NOT included in the deal. I will ship to lower 48 only. Thanks for looking...I am only selling this as I have decided to stay with just my Clinesmith S8 and my Rickenbacker console. Feel free to ask more questions or request more pictures.

Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 12 Sep 2017 5:40 am; edited 3 times in total

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 3:20 pm    

Shot built a limited number (don't know what that number was) and they are really nice sounding guitars. I have one, serial JB120 and it was one of the last of them.

Last edited by Dave Diehl on 5 Sep 2017 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 4:09 pm    

Thanks Dave for your input. The top edge of the headstock on mine says 110...it doesnt have the JB in front of it.
The price is what I paid for this steel in March right after the Dallas steel show...a reputable dealer down at the show had it on display for sale and I decided when I got home that it is what I wanted.
Thanks again.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Hugh Roche

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 4:10 pm     frypan

larry
we have had quite a bit of discussion on these on the forum. the serial number should be on the top of the headstock.
real quick: agreement between shot and Jerry called for 300 total 150 A's short scale and 150 B Long scale. Things work out to about 50 or 60 of each due too poor quality of castings. On a visit with shot in 77 or 78 we walked through the basement of the broadway store and he showed me the casting of the new guitars. I ordered a long scale B and he registered my name his little black book. In a few months I got number 51 B which i still have. Others showed up latter in various configurations. Yours appears to be one of the ones produced in Japan due to the knobs tuners and finish.
At any rate they are all great steels, especially if the pickup is reworked.

Here's some pictures of a "bootleg" a 7string with a Prismatone

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 5:39 pm    

Hugh, thanks for that information. I think we were posting at about the same time. That is what I had originally thought, made in Japan, but when my friend looked at it, she thought it was like hers, built by Shot. I looked again at the serial number and it is 110 without any numbers or letters before or after that. The scale seems to be 22", if that makes sense. I am not trying to pass this off as anything that it isnt. I just know what I paid for it is what is what I would like to get out of it.

PS, Hugh I hope you are still enjoying the Gibson CG that I sold you several years ago. Thanks again for your input.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 6:39 pm    

I deleted this posting since we now know it is definately an
Excel

Last edited by Larry Lenhart on 5 Sep 2017 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Mckay

New Zealand
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 9:13 pm    

Hi Larry. I have an Excel frypan same as the one you have here. They are excellent guitars made by Mitsuo Fujii of "Fuzzy Guitars" Japan. I understand Jerry went to Mitsuo to make these guitars after he fell out with Shot. Mitsuo also made the Excel double neck console that Jerry Byrd played. I thought if Jerry Byrd thought they are excellent guitars then that's good enough for me.
My guitar was made on order in 2013 no.267 and come with the same case as yours and also 22" neck.
Check on the underside by the top of the tuners as mine has a small logo with "Fuzzy Steel Guitar Co" on it.
P.S. Mitsuo is a very fine fellow to deal with and has built a lot of fine guitars.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2017 5:46 am    

Jim, thanks for that input. This is a fine steel, I just dont need it since I am sticking with my Clinesmith and Rickenbacker, and decided I wanted to raise funds to buy another D10 pedal steel.
Thanks again !

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2017 6:12 am    

I thought mine was serial JB120 but closer inspection is that it's B120. There was a mark in the aluminum that resembled a partial J. It's exactly like the one Larry has posted here. I got mine from Donna Darlene and it had a certificate with it authenticating it was a Shot JB.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2017 7:50 am     Built by Shot or in Japan

ALL of those built by Shot are authentic. All of those built by Excel (owner-Mitsuo Fujii) are authentic and in some ways even better than the ones built by Shot. Jerry insisted that Mitsuo build them right; after his problem with Shot. And Mitsuo builds them very conscientiously. He also stands behind it very professionally. He is one of the most honest and kindness men I have ever dealt with.

Sadly there are "bootleggers" that have made these too, as others above have indicated. Sadder; and this is going to get me in trouble; but Jesus got in trouble too; and they hung him on a cross for speaking the truth.

it is my understanding and I will say that Donna Darlene; AFTER Shot died; had some made out of left over parts from Shot's shop. She sold these for several years at the ISGC and sadly said that Shot had built them, but that was not true.

Finally the word got out about this; and even Scotty got into the act and said "NO more!". And he should have. That was the end of that as it should have been.

To summarize: The guitars built by Shot or Mitsuo Fujii under the Excel brand are authentic and are great guitars.

Any others, let "buyer beware". Sadly, it is not always possible to determine WHO built them. Most bootleggers can be VERY clever. Again, buyer beware.

However, I would say that IF I was searching for a "FryPan", I would purchase this one in a NY minute! I base this only by looking at the photos. And even if it is bootlegged; any one that would go to the extreme to build it so beautifully; and make a case that beautiful and make a stand that good lucking; has to be a good guitar almost assuredly. And may Jesus bless the seller and the buyer during and after the sale.

For whatever it's worth.

May Jesus "right" all wrongs,

c.

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2017 8:10 am    

Perhaps I can clear things up here. I sold this guitar to Larry after he saw it in my booth in Dallas. I bought it several years ago from someone on the forum and at that time, it was represented as an Excel Frypan.

Mitsuo saw it in my booth and confirmed to me he made it. I never played it and it did not sell in Dallas so I put it on the forum here:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=314128&highlight=

Larry purchased from me and I assumed he read the thread and knew it was an Excel. It sounds as if someone else told him it was a Shot guitar. Rest assured, it's not.
Still a great guitar and worth every penny of what he's asking. Just not made by Shot, which may make it better.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2017 8:47 am    

Thanks memphislim for your input...I appreciate that very much...I hope you werent offended as I had totally forgotten about your ad that I responded to after the steel show...I never doubted it was made by Excel, until a friend said she thought it was built by Shot. I wasnt going to mention your name since I dont like to bother the previous owner, so in this case I am very thankful that you put your knowledge in this thread ! Thanks for clearning that up and I hope you are doing well in Austin !!

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 12:06 am    

Sent you an email, Memphislim. Thanks. Steve

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 12:05 pm    

Cant think of anything else to offer to sweeten the deal on this guitar. I think it is worth the money I am asking, but feel free to send me an offer...the worst I can do is say "No thanks". Thanks for looking.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 11:51 am    

I hate to lower the price, but I would really like to sell it and see someone use it. So, I lowered the price to $900 and I will pay shipping to lower 48. I will be going to Colorado for the HSGA and will have it with me and then on to Arizona and will have it there until Thanksgiving time.
Thanks for looking. I could make a package deal on this and the banjo I have on the FS other instruments section Smile

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 5:41 am    

Please close-decided to keep this fine steel ! Smile