The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lefties that play right
Nathan Burns

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 6:03 pm    

Wow. Very interesting to see so many! Didn't know Lloyd and Curly were lefties, as well.

While given time I think you can workout whatever style or licks you like I can't help but think in an improve situation a lefty might favour certain types of licks to the strength in their bar hand over a righty. Cool stuff.

Rayco 6 string curly maple reso

Petingill Southern Belle through Fender 68 Princeton Reverb reissue.

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 7:37 pm    

I'm in my right mind too... er, I mean right brain Wink

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 7:42 pm    

YEp, lefty playing righty, bass, guitar & steel. Do you know the only place where I believe it's crippling?
KEYBOARDS. I just CAN NOT doot. It does explain why Rubenstein, Rachmaninoff & Beethoven sucked so bad... and the problem with guitar sniveling - (Wah, I'll never pick good!) is, Steve Morse? Danny Gatton? Dang. Gatton also wins the Shortest Fingers Award, no wonder tha... oh dang.

Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 8:08 am     Left handed

Me too!

Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 8:51 am    

Guilty!

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 9:23 am    

I do everything left handed except for playing guitar. My first baseball glove at about age six was a Wilson first basemen's mitt. There is an inherent advantage to being a lefty at first base, so I guess my dad figured he would get me started early on at the position. And it indeed was the position I played most of the time for decades as both a baseball and softball player.

It's too long ago to remember - but when I started with lap steel lessons at age nine or ten back in the '60s, I wonder if I initially wanted to place it on my lap so that I would be plucking the strings with my left and barring with my right? And perhaps my teacher said, "no - it goes the other way" So when I took up standard guitar later I just continued as a "righty," even after watching Jimi Hendrix tearing it up as a lefty.

One apparently can get used to almost anything - think Django Reinhardt with the 3rd and 4th fingers on his fretting hand rendered useless from a fire related accident and still being one of the greatest guitarists in history - but were I to start over now, though plucking the strings on a steel guitar with my left or "coordinated" hand would probably come to me fairly quickly, I can't imagine controlling the bar with any competence while holding it in my right, or "uncoordinated" hand. Same goes for fretting a standard guitar with my right hand.

But this is exactly what the millions of naturally right handed guitar and steel players do every day - they either fret or bar with their "uncoordinated" left hand. How do you guys do that Confused

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 10:10 am    

Mark Eaton wrote:

...Django Reinhardt with the 3rd and 4th fingers on his fretting hand rendered useless..

This is a true statement for all practical purposes. But, I wanted to point out that I've also read that Django was actually able to employ the two crippled fingers to fret certain chords. That to me is one of the ultimate examples of "Adapting"!

The only thing I can think of that comes close to that is Def Leppard's Rick Allen re-learning to play drums with only one arm.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 10:32 am    

I have always figured there was a possibility of that being the case with Django - being able to occasionally use the crippled fingers for something while playing - but nevertheless there was a serious effort in "adaptation" in order to make it work.

And it goes hand in-hand (no pun intended) with my analogy of having to start over if a situation relating to health or injury forced me to bar or fret with my right hand rather than my left. I know it would be one long and winding road for me to develop those skills.

Pat Heller

Missouri, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 11:17 am    

Lefty all the way. A hundred years ago I told the guy giving me my 1st lesson that I was left handed, he said not to worry about it, since I had never tried anything different. I don't play very well, but my tone stinks. P.H.

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 12:26 pm    

Me !

David Martin

Kingsport, TN 37660 USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 6:40 pm    

I am mostly left handed. I started playing guitar left handed with the guitar strung lefty. When I went to steel, I played right handed. For some reason it felt natural since the right hand grips you use on steel felt similar to the right hand forming chords when playing guitar left handed. I know, it's weird. I write lefty and eat lefty but I bat or throw a ball right handed. Whatever feels natural is the way to go. You can develop muscle memory with either hand if you work at it...just like players that switch from Day to Emmons or the other way around, can do it with a little work.
I recommend that any new steel player start right handed even if you're left handed.
If I had played Steel lefty, I would have missed out on the great times I have had over the years playing other guy's steels and trying out various brands.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 6:45 pm    

Total lefty here. Started playing lefty; flipped my Fender Mustang & played it like that till my guitar teacher told me I'd never be any good if I didn't play the "right" way. Prolly be a better guitar player, but wouldn't be a steel or banjo player. I mean...where do you get a lefty steel or banjo?

FWIW Jimi Hendrix was right handed; just played lefty. How do I know? Saw a pic of him signing an autograph right-handed.

Ringo was also a lefty; just played a right handed kit but led with the left. Which is how e got his signature sound; One of the top sesssion drummers once said he can do any style in the studio asked for except Ringo. NOBODY can do Ringo.

Mistake in the "Rocky II" movie...he signs an autograph for the nurse righty, although he is supposed to be a southpaw.

The definition of the word "sinister" is left-handed; from the latin "Sinestre". Back in the day, it was thought lefties were in league with the devil, hence the term.

Damien Odell

Springwood, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 7:58 pm    

Tomi Grasso from Sydney Australia is an exceptional player left-handed, funny thing is he can still mop the floor with most of us right handed too! Huge talent.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2017 9:30 am    

I think Buck Reid may be a lefty turned righty - but I may be wrong. Confused
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2017 4:25 pm    

..lol..IM LEFT HANDED TOO..
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2017 8:16 am    

I'm left handed, as well. Been playing right handed guitars since the start.
When I was a young man, back in the day, I applied for a job at a factory that had a lot of openings. Everybody was getting jobs except me.
Why, you ask, because I was a lefty and everything was set up for right handed people. Left a bad taste in my mouth about being a lefty. I got over it.

Don Walworth

Gilmer, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 5:11 pm     Lefty here, too

I think all dental chairs are set up for Right handed dentists. Left handed students learn to adapt.

Don