INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Post new topic Dale Watson nailed this one-see link
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dale Watson nailed this one-see link
Gary Hoetker


From:
California, USA
Post Posted 9 Aug 2017 11:54 am     Reply with quote

What a performance by Dale and the Lone Stars, especially Mike on steel. One of those signature songs like Farewell Party. Maybe that's a stretch but it's damn good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jim Smith


From:
Valley Ranch (north Irving), TX, USA
Post Posted 9 Aug 2017 1:17 pm     Re: Dale Watson nailed this one-see link Reply with quote

Gary Hoetker wrote:
What a performance by Dale and the Lone Stars, especially Mike on steel. One of those signature songs like Farewell Party. Maybe that's a stretch but it's damn good.

I don't see the link! Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Gary Hoetker


From:
California, USA
Post Posted 9 Aug 2017 2:41 pm     Reply with quote

Whoops. Try this one.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl0ZaGuzNgg&feature=youtu.be
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jerry Overstreet


From:
Louisville Ky
Post Posted 9 Aug 2017 4:22 pm     Reply with quote

Isn't that Don Pawlak on the 'Bud? Yes, real, honest music...great tune. I've seen them do it on a few TV performances.
View user's profile Send private message
Gary Hoetker


From:
California, USA
Post Posted 9 Aug 2017 6:08 pm     Reply with quote

Yes it is Don...not Mike and yes, he's really good !! I really messed up my part of this post. Sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jerry Overstreet


From:
Louisville Ky
Post Posted 10 Aug 2017 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

Apologies not necessary. You're not the first to forget a link and I meant nothing by the ID correction.

I have seen them perform the tune, but had not seen this video. Thanks for posting it. I'm sure other members enjoyed it at well.
View user's profile Send private message
Mark Hershey


From:
New York, USA
Post Posted 17 Aug 2017 10:34 am     Reply with quote

He's the best and that's a great performance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Craig Stock


From:
Westfield, NJ USA
Post Posted 18 Aug 2017 8:54 am     Reply with quote

Yes, Dale is the best, going to see him for the umpteenth time on August 30 at Hill Country BBQ in NYC.

When he comes to your neck of the woods don't miss the show, and yes, he does like Lone Star Beer. Smile
_________________
Regards, Craig
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Mark Hershey


From:
New York, USA
Post Posted 23 Aug 2017 9:49 am     Reply with quote

Craig Stock wrote:
Yes, Dale is the best, going to see him for the umpteenth time on August 30 at Hill Country BBQ in NYC.

When he comes to your neck of the woods don't miss the show, and yes, he does like Lone Star Beer. Smile


Were you at the last Hill Country gig? I went to that one and it was an amazing show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Craig Stock


From:
Westfield, NJ USA
Post Posted 24 Aug 2017 3:33 am     Reply with quote

If it was about a year ago yes, you going next week?
_________________
Regards, Craig
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Mark Hershey


From:
New York, USA
Post Posted 24 Aug 2017 7:40 am     Reply with quote

Craig Stock wrote:
If it was about a year ago yes, you going next week?


I might try to. I just bought a house and that has tied me up quite a bit.

were you by any chance standing in front of the pedal steel last year? If so I think I met you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Joe Ribaudo


From:
New Jersey, USA
Post Posted 24 Aug 2017 9:23 am     Reply with quote

Mark Hershey wrote:
were you by any chance standing in front of the pedal steel last year? If so I think I met you.

If you're talking about the guy that planted himself right in front of the Sho~Bud and didn't move the entire evening, that might have been me. (Fortunately I'm nowhere near as tall as Craig.) I also spoke with Don for a good 40 minutes after the show. What an amazing story. He also gave me some great advise re picking technique... something along the lines of, "don't do what I do"
_________________
Sho~Bud Super Pro, Fender Concert, NV400, Orange, (LP's, Tele's, Gretsch, Burns, etc...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Craig Stock


From:
Westfield, NJ USA
Post Posted 24 Aug 2017 3:17 pm     Reply with quote

I'm reserving my tickets right now. Joe, hope to see you and the better half next Wed. and you too Mark
_________________
Regards, Craig
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Mark Hershey


From:
New York, USA
Post Posted 25 Aug 2017 6:40 pm     Reply with quote

Joe Ribaudo wrote:
Mark Hershey wrote:
were you by any chance standing in front of the pedal steel last year? If so I think I met you.

If you're talking about the guy that planted himself right in front of the Sho~Bud and didn't move the entire evening, that might have been me. (Fortunately I'm nowhere near as tall as Craig.) I also spoke with Don for a good 40 minutes after the show. What an amazing story. He also gave me some great advise re picking technique... something along the lines of, "don't do what I do"


Yep, I believe we had a chat for a little bit. I came up before the gig started to check out the sho bud. My memory is a little hazy though I had a few lone stars that night.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tony Palmer


From:
Lincoln, RI USA
Post Posted 29 Aug 2017 8:07 am     Reply with quote

Going to see him Thursday Aug 31 st the Narrows Center for the Arts in Fall River, MA!
_________________
Sierra S10 (three!), Peavey 112 and 115, Benoit dobro, Melobar lapsteel, Beard Roadophonic, MSA Superslide, Peavey Powerslide
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Walter Stettner


From:
Vienna, Austria
Post Posted 2 Sep 2017 11:08 pm     Reply with quote

Wow, that is a great song!

Kind regards, Walter
_________________
www.lloydgreentribute.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Bob Ritter


From:
pacfic, wa
Post Posted 14 Sep 2017 10:53 am     Reply with quote

Think you can't get good tone with a wood neck steel.
I think this proves there is plenty of tone to go around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mark Hershey


From:
New York, USA
Post Posted 15 Sep 2017 8:21 am     Reply with quote

Bob Ritter wrote:
Think you can't get good tone with a wood neck steel.
I think this proves there is plenty of tone to go around.


He also uses the modern Fender Amps that are not point to point wiring **gasp**...and when I saw him he was using a Dunlop volume pedal if I recall it correctly. Definitely was not a hilton or a goodrich.

Seeing him play steel was liberating for me, made me realize there are no hard rules for sounding great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Jump to:  

Our Online Catalog
Strings, CDs, instruction,
steel guitars & accessories

www.SteelGuitarShopper.com

Steel Guitar Music
Instrumental steel guitar CDs for your permanent collection
www.SteelGuitarMusic.com

Please review our Forum Rules and Policies

The Steel Guitar Forum
148 South Cloverdale Blvd.
Cloverdale, CA 95425 USA

Support This Forum


BIAB Styles
Ray Price Shuffles for Band-in-a-Box
by Jim Baron
HTTP