The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Randy Reinhard
Bobby Flores

Blanco, Texas, U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 12:30 pm    

It is with great sadness that I post this. Robyn Reinhard has asked me personally to make this post to let everyone know that this morning she lost her dear father, our wonderful friend and musical hero, Randy Reinhard. She has asked for understanding of her not accepting calls at this time. Our sincere thoughts and prayers to all of Randy's family. We are all in shock and great sorrow at this tremendous loss of a beautiful human and Brilliant musician.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 12:42 pm    

I too am sad to lose my friend and hero. There was no other quite like Randy. He was a supremely gifted musician with such a kind and loving spirit. He taught me so much, and I will cherish the memories of time spent with him.

I last saw him a couple weeks ago. I talked him into playing a set with Justin Trevino. So glad he did.

Here he is playing my guitar like it was his own:

He was a player's player, a true master, with an incredible touch and a creative heart. I will miss him greatly.

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 12:51 pm    

Oh no...

Sadly, I'm not surprised, but completely and profoundly brought down. Randy had so many health problems... <sigh> Sad Sad Sad

Every steel player in Texas just got elevated another rung up the ladder with the passing of this wonderful guy and player.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Last edited by Herb Steiner on 1 Sep 2017 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 12:52 pm    

So sad.... Never met Randy but always aware that he was a monster player!

Ray Jenkins

Gold Canyon Az. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 1:00 pm    

What a loss to our Texas music,So sorry for the loss of your fatherRobyn

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 1:25 pm    

What a loss!!! I don't think any one person could know the extent of this man's musical talent. So sad,,,so sad,,,,,

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 1:28 pm    

Very sad news. Never got to meet Randy. But I've been a fan for years. My sincere condolences to all his close friends and family.

May he Rest In Peace.

Bobby

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 1:36 pm    

He was a great piano player as well as such an incredible stylist on pedal steel. Many a time I found myself hitting the rewind button on his recorded fills and solos. So much character in his total sound.....

I sure wish I could have set up beside him and learned some of those licks......

My condolences to the family....

Joe Rogers

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 1:47 pm    

Sorry to see this. I saw him play live once with you Bobby Flores in Columbia Mississippi. What a monster player.

Gordon Borland

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 2:14 pm     Sad

He was my friend and hero. Prayers for him and his family. I think he just went back to area 51 where people like him come from. I know he is in the arms of God for the amount of joy he gave to this world. My heart aches because he is gone.

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 2:38 pm    

Randy Rhinehard plays the steel exactly how the steel should be played. Of course - he's also the piano man on "Live at Dancetown" - the gold standard of all live albums and the most played record in my home. Earlier this year Randy worked up here at the ET Record Shop with the Heart of Texas package show and school was in session. The Heart of Tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF69gvHWKwc

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 3:04 pm    

Just found a message on my phone about this....not sure from who. Really sad about this. Many years ago I took a job where he was supposed to play but the bandleader wasn't sure he would show and HE DID. I was so scared....we sat side by side and he told me to relax...just be myself and play. So he would play a song and then I would play a song... most fun I ever had on a bandstand. Everyone new him to be a great steel player and piano player....years later the great Texas drummer Smiley Reynolds told me that when he was 12 or 13 years old he was a great tap dancer and appeared on the Ted Mack Amateur Hour TV show that was broadcast in the late 50's or early 60's. I've never forgotten his kindness and encouragement to a beginner. This is a great loss to the steel guitar community. Now his guitar which he supposedly called "Ole #9" will be forever silent. One night I heard him play a job on a Derby guitar and he sounded just as good as when playing #9. He was a true master. I tried to see him live whenever possible. There will never be another like him. RIP Randy.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 3:05 pm    

RIP Randy.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 3:16 pm    

Great musician, so sorry to hear this news.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 4:01 pm    

Sad news. Randy was a friend.

Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 4:04 pm    

A fairly recent example of Randy's magic can be found on Justin Trevino's "Live At London Dance Hall"....pure Texas honky tonk at it's best.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 4:39 pm    

Godspeed Randy!

Condolences to the family.

Besides the blistering licks, a true master at sweet tone, magical pulls, swells and fills.

Really like how he fills space on steel. Just when you think you know where he's going, he pulls away and takes you somewhere else you would not have thought to go...

Bobby DeMoss

Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 4:52 pm     R.I.P Randy Reinhard

Wow this really saddens me. What a wonderful Steel Guitarist and great person to just talk to. We seen him up in Richmond, Mo at the Ferris theater with Bobby not too very long ago too. Wow did he play too.
This is sad news.

Ron Sodos

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 5:11 pm     I met Randy in Ruidoso NM

I saw Randy playing years ago in NM at the Show thy have every year in October. He was playing with Bobby Flores. He killed it on the back neck. Just recently I saw him play here in San Antonio at his own benefit. He was killing it on the front neck. As each one of the great players in this world dies off it just makes their contribution and legacy so important. RIP Randy!

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 6:31 pm    

Sorry to hear this! As others mentioned he was a Great Steel Guitarist and Musician! Prayers for his family and many friends!

Franklin

Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 7:18 pm    

I first met Randy in 1972 as the piano player for Charlie Pride. Back then he was like a sponge absorbing all of the steel licks from steel players he met during soundchecks...I thought this guy is going to be a master if he sticks with it and I am proud to say I was right!. Randy was a natural at learning anything he decided to play. And it was clear that he was determined to play steel at the highest level, with his sights set on his favorite, Buddy.

Fast forward two years....The word was out that Randy married Barbara Fairchild and was her full time steel player...Also the word was Buddy had taken Randy under his wings and was showing him everything Randy ever wanted to know about "E's" playing. They would jam side by side at the Deemans Den with Mike Smith and I.... If you closed your eyes it was nearly impossible to tell when Buddy stopped and Randy began...It was a beautiful thing. Their tones, phrasing, technique, and soul were almost parallel. Truly amazing to hear!

Well needless to say by the mid 70's Mike Smith, Randy Reinhard, Hal Rugg, Buddy and I had all bonded over the fusion music of the day...We were all exploring how to bring our personal stamp into that world...The beauty was It never felt like a competition when we jammed...We all shared a mutual love of playing progressive music and it was Randy who initially brought us together... I will never forget Randy's sweet expressions and his love of life and music...Buddy nicknamed Randy "Rubberface". His expressions were so animated and infectious. Sure will miss Randy!

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 7:54 pm    

Randy and Buddy

(Courtesy of jimloessburg.com)

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Norbert Dengler

germany
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 8:14 pm    

great picture!
thank you tommy and jim!

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 8:33 pm    

May 5, 1977 in Oklahoma City. Local PBS station series, with Barbara and joining Leroy Van Dyke's band during his segments.

Always had a smile!

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 9:58 pm    

My prayers and condolences to his family. RIP, Randy!

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria