The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  fender mustang 3 steel amp
Warren Tavernia

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2017 7:52 am    

I just discovered that the fender mustang 3 makes a great steel amp. why pay High prices trying to get a great sound and then breaking the bank and your back. If any one has any questions on how to set it up just Pm me and I will see that you get all the help you need. fender dosn`t make them any more but there are lots of used ones out there that the only reason they are for sale is the owner didn`t want to figure them out I`m 72 and I figured it out. they are real light and the only thing I might change is to put a telonics speaker in mine if I do I`ll keep you all posted on the results they are also 100 watts@ 8ohms also you don`t need to break the bank on buying all the extra efects pedals. every thing is in the amp.warren

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2017 7:58 am    

Cool, except all the knobs are facing up making them hard to see if you are sitting down...

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2017 10:19 am    

Sound clips ? Thanks !

Bob Bestor

Ashland, OR
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2017 6:08 pm    

Second on the Mustang 3. I use the setting detailed by Josephus on this page and I think it sounds great.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=309109&sid=047b89a9df6fcdd5449d277abf2dff5b

Warren if you have other settings you suggest let me know. I'd love to try them out.

Warren Tavernia

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 6:10 am     fender mustang111 steel amp

I will post my settings later on today. the only way I have to post them is to take pictures of them and put them on. now just remember that I am using a george "L" E66 at the present time. However I expect a telonics 409 PW on saturday so they might change a little. also there are no 2 pair of ears alike. and what sounds good to the user Is the only thing that matters. and the only external pedal I use is a sonic stomp set at 12:00 on both knobs

Last edited by Warren Tavernia on 18 Aug 2017 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Warren Tavernia

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 7:09 am     fender mustang 111 steel amp

hi barry as for me the knobs are of little consequence because I have already locked in my settings and I always run the master volume on 10 that makes it a clean signal all the way thru.and by having the presets already locked being that i play guitar also I just change to what channel I need at the time

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 8:24 am    

The used ones I see for sale some say "V.1",,and some say "V.2"???? Looks like they weigh around 36 lbs.

Warren Tavernia

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 11:19 am     fender mustang 3 steel amp

I checked around on guitar center and found a couple of them. but Here are my settings.guys let me know how you make out warren

Warren Tavernia

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 11:35 am     fender mustang 3 steelguitar amp

Hi Sonny my mustang 3 is a V2 but my mustang 4 might be a V1 But right now its where I play. but I don`t have any problem programing it the same. as a matter of fact the sound was great last night with the same program as my 3.

George Winter

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 1:33 pm     Your settings

Hi Warren Tavernia,

I need to explain.

I now have a Eminence DOUBLE-T 12 Travis Toy 12" speaker in mine. It is now even lighter. I also blocked the back, installed acoustic sponge & 2" ports. With this Speaker rated at 300watts & the Amp at 100watts. there is no distortion at high volume.

To me,it now sounds like a steel guitar amp with a 15" speaker, although it is very light.

I have trying your settings, ...because of how my amp is presently setup, I raised the treble & mid setting a bit.

Your setting seem fine to me.

Thanks.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 7:25 pm    

I have a Fender G-dec-3 with the same basic architecture & models. Not currently hooked up – I'm suffering from “pre-amp creep”, as though there is such a thing. But I DO remember the same basic rules of modeling apply, which is TRY EVERYTHING. Fender amp models are sometimes so mid-scoopy I can't fill 'em back in without getting a brittle treble – but an early Marshall model, JTM-45 or '68 Super Lead or such, try setting the “power amp” up at 10, the drive or preamp at 15 – 25, and find a clean power-handling cabinet – it might be a “Jazz Chorus”, a 15” JBL or such.

Early Marshalls were a basic copy of a Fender Bassman but Englishified with a grab-bag of caps, resistors, the “wrong” power tubes etc. And they became known for all this icky “overdrive” and “drive” and “sustain” - eeek! So, Mr. Watt of Hi-Watt amps made a copy of a 100w Marshall, but all mil-spec'd heavy duty components, try and distort THAT, Hendrix, Townsend – HA! So a HiWatt model is often a GREAT + LOUD + CLEAN kinda starting point, very high headroom and the EQ curves make ME happier.

Equipment reviewers in the magazines are ALWAYS comparing modelers to “the real thing” counterparts – I could care less, just sound GOOD Okay? And the cabinet models are a whole 'nother whoofti thing to fiddle with, they affect the reverb and delays and especially high-end rolloff; my preferences tend towards the darker "cabs" then turn UP the treble early in the preamp neighborhood. And THROW AWAY THE PRESETS, Dump the Presets, the Presets are No Good! Kill the presets! I guess the buyer's market for these skew so irredeemably towards HEAVY METAL AGGRO, music to munch babies by, they don't even bother with presets for adults? They'll throw in ONE or two “country guitar” presets, a AC-30 and a Twin Reverb model compressed to chickenscratch and NOTHING else, with a dotted-8th delay whackin' around in there. Oh goody the baby's done, plz pass the salt....