The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Preferred Series 7025/12AX7 Tubes for Steel
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2017 8:48 am    

Like everyone else I get tubes from some retailer. However, I get a LOT of very nice tubes from old tube test equipment, radios, and "as-is" stereo gear that I find at swap meets, garage sales and wherever. Often, a piece of old gear is maybe in the 5-15 dollar range. I find a lot of old US-made 12ax7's that way. Mallards and Telefunkens, too. Most have seen mild-to easy use.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2017 12:22 pm     Eric

Yeah...that's something I need to start doing.

It's easy to tie up a lot of money on tubes going to auction sites like Ebay and Reverb. Fortunately, I got some pretty good deals, so it's not too bad.

My JJ 6L6s sound fine as far as output tubes go, but I wonder how four of the new Tung Sol 7581As (cryogenically treated) would sound. The reports are that they are cleaner with more headroom than the regular 7581s. Hmm...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tung-Sol-7581A-Matched-Cryo-Treated-Quad-4-/282427238020?epid=876993080&hash=item41c1f9a684:g:sxIAAOSww3tY6o~s

I must be suffering from some kind of gear junky syndrome. Is wonder if there is any help for this condition? I know...some more tubes! I have a Bugle Boy in the mail and just purchased another RCA 12AT7 for V6 (tested as NOS).

Thanks...Don

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 2:20 am    

Any thoughts on a Russian Mullard? I picked one up, a "long plate" Mullard 12AX7/ECC83. I haven't had a chance to try it in my BX500 amp.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 9:19 am    

Jack, I haven't tried the 'Mullard' line, but I've been using the 'Tung Sol' line from New Sensor, and have been happy with them. So far, I've used the 7581A's, the 12 AX and AT 7's, the 6L6 GC STR's and the EL 84's (all in the Tung Sol line). I'm not sure of the differences in the various lines, but I think for new production tubes, they're as good as any. I'd be interested in what you think when you get around to using it! Always looking for that 'magic bullet' for V1. Smile

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 10:07 am    

I tried a Tung Sol 12AX7 in my Carvin BX500. Initially I thought it sounded as good as the NOS RCA12AX7 I had been using (it went bad). However after about 2 weeks it developed a mid range honk. I've got a Groove Tube 12AX7 in it now and initial evaluation (I've done two jobs) is it has a nice well rounded sound and about like the OEM tube that was in the BX500. The Groove Tube is quiet (not as noisy as the Tung Sol's). I don't know what the OEM 12AX7 was as its unmarked.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 4:34 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I tried a Tung Sol 12AX7 in my Carvin BX500. Initially I thought it sounded as good as the NOS RCA12AX7 I had been using (it went bad). However after about 2 weeks it developed a mid range honk. I've got a Groove Tube 12AX7 in it now and initial evaluation (I've done two jobs) is it has a nice well rounded sound and about like the OEM tube that was in the BX500. The Groove Tube is quiet (not as noisy as the Tung Sol's). I don't know what the OEM 12AX7 was as its unmarked.

I had a similar situation in a VOX AD50VT amp that used a single 12ax7 but not as a tube in the circuit but as a "reference" for the electronics to model from. Yet swapping the factory EH 12ax7 to a vintage Telefunken did present a tonal change that was pleasing even if the tube was not really in the tone circuit.

Have you tried a Chinese made 12ax7?

Tung Sols were the schznit back in the day when American made, in fact vintage 6550's for Leslie speakers are highly sought and go for hundreds a pair. But these days, the ones made in Russia are prone to failure. Not sure if they've fixed the issues.

Tube rolling is a necessity if one is using tubes.

A Mazda 12ax7 is a nice tube. It's not Chinese but a vintage tube made in Europe (France or Belgium) in the 1960's.

Also defective tubes are shipped same as the good ones and they end up in the bargain bin sold as good as new. It really takes weeding out the duds somewhere along the line. Some sellers will do this for you but consider that they have to shoulder buying the duds and can't sell them so the incentive to do that is for the most part low.

Last edited by Godfrey Arthur on 30 Aug 2017 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 6:39 pm     Tubology 101

So from your experiences, it sounds like the old tubes are a better way to go.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 7:17 pm     Re: Tubology 101

Don Mogle wrote:
So from your experiences, it sounds like the old tubes are a better way to go.

Unfortunately yes. I've experienced similar where the tubes made today don't last.

Service techs on organ forums are directly impacted by the quality of tubes, tube brand and quality is a continuing discussion. In a Hammond rig there are at least 12 tubes to get the organ/speaker to operate.
And the search is on for an affordable tube to keep dozens of organs running.

Basically it's frequent replacement these days.

I have tubes in my rigs that came with from the factory 50 years ago.

If one likes to use tube amps, sourcing tubes is part of owning/using the amp.

China is testing the waters on tube making. It comes down to who has the money and the desire to make a better tube.

The way tubes were made in the early 20th has been lost in the 21st. Hence the NOS vintage tubes, simply made better because of the hard vacuuming process that is not available today, sound better as a result. And they last longer because a tube is only as good as how well it was vacuumed of atmosphere before it was pinch-sealed. A missing component of tubes made today.

As mentioned, this hard vacuuming process was a trade secret not handed over when the old tube making machinery was sold to other countries.

If one plans to get future use out of a tube amp you need backup tubes like you need extra strings and picks.

But consider that tubes are more difficult to make and source. So get while the getting is good. Many knowledgeable tube sales guys who've hoarded vintage tubes, are on in years and when they retire there goes the knowledge with them.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 2:36 am    

The Groove Tube (a Fender brand) that I'm using now is a Chinese tube. From what I read on the Tubes and more site these are hand selected and reason they are low noise.

I grew up with tubes, having been in electronics since 1955 and getting a General Class Ham license in 1960 (and a commercial FCC Radiotelephone license), and working as an amp tech in early 70's.