The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter 8'" MIcroPro for Steel?
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 12:24 pm    

I have a Peavey LTD-400 (needs some work) and Fender HR Deluxe. I could spend money on both of them, and end up with an amp that is still heavier than I'd like.

I want a light-weight combo. A few requirements:
â–ª Controls in FRONT
â–ª No programming needed
â–ª XLR/DI out
â–ª Good reverb

The Quilter Micro Pro Mach 2 with 8" speaker meets all of my needs on paper. Anyone using one for pedal steel? 19 pounds Smile

Last edited by Dan Robinson on 29 Aug 2017 7:45 pm; edited 4 times in total

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 3:03 pm    

I have been using the older version of the MicroPro for several years. It is a great amp, and that's coming from a hardcore tube amp guy. The older version is better than the new one for several reasons but the new one is still a good amp. I would recommend getting the head only version and pairing it with a "real" speaker in a nice cab as you will find the 8" speakers lacking.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 10:15 am    

Thanks Cartwright. I'll bet that sounds great.

I want to use a combo, for size, weight and setup/load-out time reasons.

I played 2 gigs with a Steelaire. It worked great, DI sounded good thru the PA, but I want to reduce weight even more.

Yesterday I was on the highway driving behind a Tesla. That technology works, but it's not a commodity vehicle... yet. Does the same idea apply to amps/speakers?

It wasn't long ago that the 15" speaker was the go-to choice for pedal steel. A lot of accomplished players are now using a 12".

I want to find out what Pat Quilter has achieved with the 8" MicroPro combo, and if it's the right solution for me.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 3:57 pm    

I think a head with a 12" cab doesn't compromise "size weight set-up, load out time" much.
My MicroPro head fits in the back of my cab, beneath the speaker. I simply put it on top of the cab and plug it in...done.
I tried the 8" and 10" combos and they did not sound anywhere near as good as the K-120 (or several other speakers) that I have been using.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 5:17 pm    

What cabinet and speaker do you like?

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 9:04 pm    

I sometimes use a Mach II Micro Pro 8" combo. In fact I'll be using it tomorrow for pedal steel. It's a bar/restaurant gig so I don't need a huge amp. The sound guys love it and they use the direct out. It's not enough for my loud rock band though. I'm thinking of getting a Pro Block 200 and using a single 15" K-130...

I find it very useful. It doesn't replace tubes (which I love) but it sounds good. I've actually fooled some other musicians with it and they are very curious about it.

I use it a lot for rehearsals too. A good tool!

Dz