The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dr.Z's Surgical Steel Amp
Mike Daly

Tennessee
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 11:53 am    

For anyone interested, here is a demo for the new Dr.Z Surgical Steel Amp . https://youtu.be/Q82CxD1U1Ws

Bart Maloney

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 5:38 am    

Sounds great Mike!

Larry Weaver

Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 7:06 am    

I agree, sounds awesome Mike!

I'm thinking this may also be a great platform for those of us using the AX8 or Axe Fx with tube amps.

Can I ask you to explain your pickup configuration on the Sho-Pro and how you might use them for both clean and overdriven tones? Both your clean and OD/distorted tones are amazing so I was wondering how the pickups contribute to that along with the pedals you use.

Thanks for posting the demo Mike!

Mike Daly

Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 10:18 am    

Larry... The bridge pickup is a doublecoil Jason Lollar pickup that has the ability to be split into two single coils. That allows for a more of a treble response if needed. The neck pickup was made by Russ Pahl and patterned after a Fender Jazzmaster pickup. I have a three way pickup switch that gives me all the options. For the overdriven sound, the neck pickup is a good choice, not always but a nice option. The neck pickup also gives a nice round clean tone...Think of the front pickup of a Tele. Hope this helps.

Larry Weaver

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 4:47 pm    

Thanks for the reply Mike. That's a lot of great information and super helpful. For me it hasn't been difficult getting a good clean/traditional tone. The Od/Distortion tones have been more elusive. It's always great to see what the pros are doing.

Mike Daly

Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 8:45 am    

Yes Larry, finding the right OD sound for the steel can be tricky. The obvious obstacle is that if you have your amp set for a clean,clear tone with lots of presence, that doesn't work well with some pedals. The high end on the amp and your finger picks can make for a thin, abrasive signal. Also, solid state amps sometimes are not as friendly as tube amps to an overdriven tone. I find that a Fulltone or the T-Rex Mudhoney seems to tame the high end response and adds the mids needed for a warm OD sound. And I use tube amps. For the new album I am finishing up, I mostly opted to record with smaller Fender Amps cranked as opposed to using pedals for overdriven tones.

Mike Daly

Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 8:47 am    

TheDr.Z is very clean @ 85 watts or so, but very pedal friendly.

Larry Weaver

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 8:01 am    

Good to hear that the Dr. Z is pedal friendly Mike. I think there's one of these in my future.

I agree a tube amp is essential for good OD sounds. I've been experimenting with a Fractal Ax8 going into the front of a Port City Pearl head into a 2x12 and Holland Lil Jimi combo, both set clean. The power amp sims and cabinet sims are off on the Ax8, so essentially it's just flavoring the cleans with the preamp. I can get amazing Fendery, Vox, HiWatt clean tones, but I have a lot of work to do to get dirt tones where I want them. Your post has me thinking in a few different directions and looking into different pickup options. Thanks again for sharing your setup info.

Hey, please do keep us posted about your upcoming new album, I'll be wanting to get that into listening rotation right away!

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 10:37 am    

OD ??? Sad Sad Sad Winking

Larry Weaver

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 11:38 am    

OD = Overdrive/Distortion
Smile

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 3:03 pm