The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Blill Lawrence 705 Cromed, 705 black 80s, XR 16
Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 4:33 pm    

Hello to all, sorry for my English but I do not speak your language but translate it with google, I wanted to ask you experts that you have a great experience of picking up Lawrence that difference was between the (705 original chrome, the 705 Black 80s and XR16) I like that I like the sound that Paul Franklin had with his pedal in the 1990s tour with the Notting Hill Billies, and in the 1992 Dire Straits tour, he uses the double pick up in that pedal 705 chrome, according to you with a single pick up of the 3 who I described which one is best suited for a sound like what Franklin did? I have a WBS custom SD10 and as I pick up I have the E66 GL, thanks to all those who will leave a message, greetings from Italy Smile

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 10:39 pm    

Welcome to the forum. The chrome 705 pickups are popular and difficult to find. The black ones that were made in the 1980s are the same inside as the chrome ones. The 705 reissue is readily available and is a very good pickup.

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 5:28 am    

Hi Bruce, thank you for your reply, I knew this thing that the 705's 80s was like the only chrome that made it black, he sent me an email to Bill Lawrence where he explains the difference:

Bill Lawrence responce : I started the Bill Lawrence Guitar Pickup company in 1965

I am the same manufacturer making the chrome and the black housing for the 705

Since 1982 we are making a copper shielding inside the pickup

Before, we used the chrome housing to create the shielding by touching the blades.

It was a poor solution than we improved it.

stevepo

Clarion, PA. USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 5:34 pm    

Francesco,

I have L705s in my older Emmons and XR16s in my newer Emmons, the difference in sound through a N-112 is only a slight difference in the "Shift" setting. I play out regularly and the XR16s in my LaGrande III always sound great.

Steve
Steelman.Porter@yahoo.com

Terry Hickey

Arroyo Grande, California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 11:24 pm    

Hello I'm looking for a set of XR16s or L705s. Does anyone know who has them in stock?
Thank you Terry

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 3:26 am    

Hi Stevepo, thank you for your important reply to me, i would like to find an original chrome 705 to put in my custom PSG that i built for me in 2017 Wolfgang WBS, i have put my announcement that i would buy an original chrome plated Lawrence 705, I hope to find it, if I can not find this I will try an XR16 in the meantime. Francesco Smile

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 2:26 pm    

Terry Hickey wrote:
Hello I'm looking for a set of XR16s or L705s. Does anyone know who has them in stock?
Thank you Terry

Hi Terry, do you have an old 705 for sale? Shocked

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 5:43 am    

Hi Francesco,I have been to Rome in the late 60's and what a beautiful country Italy is.

Here is a video with Mickey Adams trying different pickups in an MSA Guitar that you may find helpful.

https://www.facebook.com/mickey.adams.313/videos/879847632164479/

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 7:58 am    

Mickey: Great video on FB.

I listened to it on a good pair of headphones. I probably need to listen to it more than once. To be honest, I didn't really hear a difference. Or at least not an objectionable, obvious difference. There was nothing between any of the pickups, with your playing and recording and amp settings, that I could not live with.

Questions on the pickups:

1) Since these plug in, are they special order either from the manufacturers or MSA?

2) If we already had several pickups, would there be any way to use them as is? Or would they need to be modified/retrofitted by MSA or the manufacturers?

Thanks in advance.

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 6:00 pm    

Dick Wood wrote:
Hi Francesco,I have been to Rome in the late 60's and what a beautiful country Italy is.

Here is a video with Mickey Adams trying different pickups in an MSA Guitar that you may find helpful.

https://www.facebook.com/mickey.adams.313/videos/879847632164479/

Hi Dick, I guess you liked Italy, my dream is to come to America, thank you for having responded to my post, I saw the video from the first day Mickie put it on his tube you tube, I heard a lot Well and I have to say that the pickups that struck me were these two (Lawrence XR16 E 705 old) here on the forum I put a post where I try to buy a Lawrence 705 chrome, I hope to find it. Thank you Francesco Smile

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 7:12 pm    

Thanks and good luck.

Francesco Porcu

Italy
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 3:52 am    

Thanks Dick.... Very Happy