The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Edmonton Alberta, August 17-27 "Chasing Willie Nelson"
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2017 4:49 am    

I'll be playing pedal steel with a killer band for the wonderful Andrea House in the production "Chasing Willie Nelson" as part of the Edmonton Fringe Theatre Festival. Here's a link to ticket info. Drop me a line if you need any further information.https://tickets.fringetheatre.ca/performances.php?eventId=601:1074

Bob Blair

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2017 11:47 am    

Here is the blurb from the press release about the show:

Chasing Willie Nelson – A tribute
2017 EDMONTON INTERNATIONAL FRINGE FESTIVAL
a Storytelling Concert

With classic songs like “Georgia On My Mind”, “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain”, and “Stardust”, join Edmonton’s favourite songbird, Andrea House, as she finds inspiration and love at the heart of some of Willie Nelson’s favourite songs.
From the creative team behind 5 star, held over Fringe hits, “Forget Me Not”, “Valentine’s Train” and “Song of the Martingale”, this newest concert storytelling show features some of Alberta’s best musicians including: Chris Andrew (piano), Rubim de Toledo (bass) and Harley Symington (guitar). Telling the story with Andrea are Sterling Award winning actors Mat Busby and Dana Andersen.
From a humble beginning in Abbott, Texas, Willie grew to be one of the most recognized and beloved songwriters of all time. It’s no secret that Willie Nelson’s life has been filled with the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. He performed for presidents, starred in Hollywood films, and made a comeback after owing the IRS millions. Yet more than that, he still inspires generations of songwriters to pick up a guitar and find three chords and the truth.
Directed by multiple Sterling Award winner, Davina Stewart, this hybrid concert and storytelling performance features a live 5 piece band at the beautiful CKUA performance space. “Chasing Willie Nelson” seamlessly weaves jazz and country, love found and love lost, into a musical dream you won’t forget. Featuring: Andrea House, Dana Andersen, Mat Busby, Chris Andrew, Harley Symington, Bob Blair, Rubim de Toledo, Duke Paetz.
CKUA Performance Space is at 9804 Jasper Avenue NW

Times: Aug 17 @7:30 pm, Aug 18 @7:30 pm, Aug 19 @7:30 pm, Aug 20 @ 3 pm,
Aug 21 @ 7:30 pm, Aug 22 @7:30 pm, Aug 23 @7:30 pm, Aug 24 @7:30 pm, Aug 26 @7:30 pm

Bob Blair

Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 12:56 pm    

The show got a great review. https://12thnight.ca/2017/08/21/fringe-review-chasing-willie-nelson/

Bob Blair

Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 11:14 am    

Another great review. http://www.gigcity.ca/2017/08/23/fringe-andrea-house-delivers-the-full-willie/

Patrick Ickes

Upper Lake, CA USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 11:20 am    

I just read the reviews and got a better picture of what the show is about and how presented.
Too cool! Any video of the performances?
Patrick

Bob Blair

Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 11:22 am    

Not yet. That is something that may happen sometime soon though but probably not this week. Andrea House is very special - I love working with her.

Bob Blair

Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 9:03 pm    

An extra show is now scheduled for Sunday the 27th at 3 PM - tickets will be available tomorrow through the Fringe Festival. Saturday is already sold out, as has been the case with the past several performances.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 7:39 pm    

I hear this show is selling out fast. Congratulations, Bob!

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Bob Blair

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 7:45 pm    

Thanks Susan! Most of the congratulations must go to Andrea House, who has the vision and the courage to tackle challenging and edgy productions like this. Laughter, uneasy semi-laughter, pure delight and tears - I've seen it all in the audiences this week.