The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Explain the use of delay to me.
Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 6:49 am    

I use a little of the spring reverb that is built in to my Milkman amps all the time and then I adjust the timing and amount of delay with my walrus audio bellwether delay to fit the situation.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 7:15 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
I use a little of the spring reverb that is built in to my Milkman amps all the time and then I adjust the timing and amount of delay with my walrus audio bellwether delay to fit the situation.

Thank you Very Happy

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 3:42 pm    

+1 on all the tap tempo fan posts.

Getting your delay repeats in time to the music (song) you're playing is key. Back in the days before tap tempo, engineers had to use a math formula to calculate the repeats with the tempo of the song.

Thank the geniuses who invented tap tempo for not having to sit and write out calculations for repeat settings (per song) when you can, like a drummer, just hit that tap tempo button in time to your song for a 4 count and the repeats will be in time with your song's tempo.

Best is to experiment with increments and subtle delay repeats and mix balance between dry and wet (repeats) (mix level knob) of your guitar signal.

Hit the presets and then vary the mix knob and the mod knob on each preset until you get something usable.

Something subliminal and shadowy trailing is effective unless you're going for old '50's Sun Records tone.

Fiddling with the mod level which is the level of the modulation of the effect; you may add more or less pitch modulation as in from older tape-echoes.

Since this a stereo delay some of the presets may only make sense heard in stereo. And with a stereo setup (stereo amp) for your rig.

Still you can try a stereo setting and see if it works with your setup in mono.

Today's delays give the player more control over the old analog's few settings but then too many options may leave one stymied.

Get familiar with the controls on your delay using the owner's manual.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 4:09 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
It seemed like the Big E didn't have any problem with his Boss DD-3.

or his Nashville 400 ... so much about spending multiple thousands of dollars on equipment ...,

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 4:15 pm    

Damir Besic wrote:
Erv Niehaus wrote:
It seemed like the Big E didn't have any problem with his Boss DD-3.

or his Nashville 400 ... so much about spending multiple thousands of dollars on equipment ...,

I think some of today's thrust is to get the sound you hear on modern studio releases.

Phillip Broste

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 6:08 pm    

I use a "Carbon Copy Bright," which has a brighter green case than the original. The decay has a bit more upper mid to it, but it still has the distinct degraded sound of an analogue delay. Usually all of the knobs are set at 25%-ish, though some of the trippy stuff gets a longer repeat. I never use the modulation. Highly recommended.