Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finger Picks
Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 9:14 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
I have been using .025 Dunlops since the 1970s for three reasons:

1) By necessity, I'm a cheapskate.
2) They're available nearly everywhere, and they're inexpensive (see #1).
3) If you can play with Dunlops, you should be able to play with anything. There's a learning curve playing with picks. Nobody said it was supposed to be easy.

I am so used to my dunlops but they are seriously comfortable to a point.

Numb fingers every now and then or hangnail.

But on a plus side not only are they cheap but available everywhere.

I just bought the perfect touch picks excited to try them HOWEVER they just cost me £18 plus £3 shipping. Ridiculously expensive for two finger picks.

I bought a whole tube of Dunlop brass for £25 so I hope these are worth it.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Don Hayes

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 9:30 pm    

I have XL hands and the only finger picks that fit are old97 XL banjo finger picks... Nationals and Dunlaps are way too small.

Jenny Thornhill Faulk

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 7:18 am     Good morning forum!

Thanks so much for all the kind words about Perfect Touch Picks!

For those with large hands and arthritis... please give us a call! We can help! I just fit a gentleman with extreme arthritis who could not play for 30 minutes at a time with any other pick and he is now playing as long as he wants!

We also have a Jumbo pick that I am sure can work for large hands.... I think Dad used Andre the giant as a model!

To those considering cost, as Dad said: Consider the violinist, who often pays as much or more for a bow than for a violin.
Perfect Touch Finger Picks are your ‘bow.’ You have a fine instrument, for which you’ve paid hundreds, perhaps even thousands of dollars. Our picks will bring out the absolute best in your instrument!

As important as it is to us to bring you a quality product...personal, quality (read old fashioned) customer service is the heart of our business! We don't stop until you are satisfied.

We look forward to helping you play with Superior Tone in Bare Finger Comfort!

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 7:35 am    

I can vouch for what Jenny said. I had a question about the picks I ordered. The Thornhills were on the road to view the eclipse. As soon as they got back home, my email was answered and an apology was made for not getting back to me sooner.........hey, everybody has a life...... I just appreciated the personal email that was sent to answer my questions! Nice people!! Very Happy

Jenny Thornhill Faulk

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 7:55 am    

Bill Groner wrote:
I can vouch for what Jenny said. I had a question about the picks I ordered. The Thornhills were on the road to view the eclipse. As soon as they got back home, my email was answered and an apology was made for not getting back to me sooner.........hey, everybody has a life...... I just appreciated the personal email that was sent to answer my questions! Nice people!! Very Happy

Thanks Bill!

Thanks for your order and your patience! I look forward to hearing from you when you get your picks. If you need any help fitting I have been known to look at texted pictures or get on skype or any other type of video and help folks fit! (It might be a bit selfish as it helps aleviate the drudge of polishing or sanding!

Jenny Winking

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 10:52 pm    

When I first started on steel I used my finger nails just because I had been playing guitar the same way. I went from there to Eyelure womens nails to crazy glue and toilet paper and a lot of cursing when I broke a nail. Always caused a laugh when I was putting my nails on.

Eventually I went to finger picks as there was more attack in the sound. Dunlop are what I have always used starting on .015 through the range to .025 but eventually settling on .018. It takes a while to get the moulding right but once done am very comfortable with them.

Finger picks are as personal as strings so I always think it's trial and error.

Strange that in rig rundowns we hear about the steel, amp and effects that the stars use but we never hear what picks they use.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 4:57 am    

Why are perfect touch fingerpicks designed with different closing clasps.

I feel comfortable with the one that closes diagonally.

But the one that has rabbit ears not so much.

I'll review them once I test them for a longer period of time.

Like anything new there is a hump to get used to first before I can leave a true accurate review.

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 6:27 am    

Stefan Robertson wrote:

I think the idea is that they don't get tangled up with each other.

This thread inspired me to order a pair, too. I'm pretty excited to try them out.

Former Member

Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 6:49 am    

I'm pretty sure the website explains it all.
Rabbit ears for the middle finger.
I think the different wraps is a banjo thing, where you're not rubbing metal to metal when doing rolls.
I still had to shape the tip angle.

Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 11:16 am    

Yeah, the PT finger picks fit together so metal does not meet metal when index & middle finger brush together. It does not make a clicking sound...very useful when recording acoustic in the studio.
These picks flex on your fingers, stay on great.

Jenny Thornhill Faulk

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 12:12 pm    

Stefan Robertson wrote:

I feel comfortable with the one that closes diagonally.

But the one that has rabbit ears not so much.

I'll review them once I test them for a longer period of time.

Like anything new there is a hump to get used to first before I can leave a true accurate review.

Good afternoon Stefan!

I can understand the hesitation with the middle pick. The answers here on the thread as to the why are absolutely correct. The different wraps work together to avoid the 3 terrible Cs -- collisions, catching and coming off...
The thing that makes that middle pick work is that it sits so much farther back on the finger than most other picks. It really is an amazing feeling to know that you don't have to clamp the picks on until it hurts and the blood drains away. They stay with less pressure because of the extra length and the abraded interior.
I actually have a few customers that use the wing (rabbit ear) style on both fingers. Not quite how we envisioned them being used... but comfort and tone are the goal...So, all that to say... they stay on! Please do get in touch if you need any more info!

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 1:41 pm    

Well Stefan, I got my Perfect Touch picks today........trust me......you will really like them. I had them on for over an hour and they felt so natural. I can't say I play any better, but that is not the fault of the pick! Sad I only adjusted them a small amount and they fit very, very, well. They stay put and do not hurt. The quality is top notch. Very Happy

Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 6:28 am    

I had to look at my picks, to remember what they are ! Very Happy They are .020 Dunlops ! I tried a lot of different picks over the years, but have been using these for decades !

Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2017 6:13 pm     Finger Picks

I have not tried PT picks. Might just do that. I recently ordered some Saddle picks. Don't like their thumb picks but the finger picks are real kind to your fingers. No pain and they stay put. Joe

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 11:17 am    

For me, nothing but Dunlop .0225 on both pedal and non-pedal steel, they just feel right. But picks are very much a matter of personal preference, so if you're new to it, you should try several brands and sizes and find out what is most comfortable for you.

Jude Reinhardt

Weaverville, NC
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 2:17 pm    

I got a pair of Saddle fingerpicks in the mail today. After adjusting they are very very comfortable. Kind of like putting on a pair of old slippers. Smile

Jude

"Man cannot live by bread alone, he must have Peanut Butter". - Kruger Bear

Ted Duross

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 10:47 am    

Just a follow up on the discussion of Perfect Touch Picks from a little while back. After having listened to a few people express their appreciation for them I decided to order a pair. I’ve had them about a week and I thought I’d share my impressions.

About me. I’m new to lap steel, about 3 years in, but a long time guitar player. I try to get in an hour or so practice each day and I’m starting to get a feel for a few things.

I’d tried a couple of different pick brands and for comfort reasons had settled on brass ProPiks. I’ve been pleased with how they feel and sound. My interest in trying the Perfect Touch picks was based on a comment someone made about having seen a noticeable improvement in tone.

The Perfect Touch picks have an interesting design. The part that wraps around your finger has a substantially different configuration for the forefinger and the middle finger. They were attempting to eliminate the clicking sound picks make when the wrapped portions touch. They have been very successful with this.

I ordered medium brass picks. I used needle nosed pliers wrapped with electrical tape to do the shaping. They recommend this in their instructions. It works well and doesn’t scratch up the picks.

I liked the way my ProPiks contacted the strings so I used their profile as a target as I shaped that part of the pick. I then spent a long time adjusting the parts that wrapped around my fingers looking for a good combination of comfort and snugness. I had my lap steel close at hand and frequently tested the tone I was getting to make sure I was pleased with the sound. I also looked to see that there was a balance between the volume I was getting between the two fingers.

Bottom line is that I’m very pleased. I’m getting a richer tone and, interestingly, improved volume. Everyone’s looking for small adjustments in gear that’ll step up their game in terms of tone and technique. I think these picks, at least for me, fit the bill.

Customer service is also excellent. After they’d received my order, from Ottawa Canada, they got in touch with me. They were concerned I would be dinged for customs charges at the border. They offered to cancel my order and suggested an online outfit in Canada where I could purchase their picks. That was pretty classy... I kept my order with them and lucked out at the border with no addition costs. Smile

Last edited by Ted Duross on 13 Sep 2017 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 11:31 am    

here's my report. I like the PT picks a lot. They are indeed more comfortable. I wore them at rehearsal for a couple weeks in a row, but when it came to gig time this past weekend, I went back to the old picks.

I think what's holding me back from a full switch is the thickness of the metal. At .018 (I think, right?), AND given that they attach to the finger at a much lower point, I feel like I have less control over them. They bounce off the strings a bit, rather than flick through them (these things are hard to describe!)

Basically, I just felt like there was less control with the PT picks. That might be as much a function of my playing technique (or lack thereof!), admittedly.

I'll keep using them, and I suspect I'll come around fully, but it hasn't quite happened yet.

A pair of PTs in .0225 would be nice to try.

Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2017 6:59 pm    

The PT finger picks are .020...but, keep an eye out. New things pop up on the PT site now and then.

Jenny Thornhill Faulk

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 6:22 am    

Don't go spoiling my surprises, Terry!!! Very Happy

Jenny Thornhill Faulk

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 6:23 am    

Thanks for the kind words, Ted!! Smile

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 1:29 am    

OK so I just am not digging these PT fingerpicks.

I feel less connected not having the fingertip connection.

I will admit it obviously is way more secure but I just don't dig the feel.

Jenny Thornhill Faulk

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 11:08 am    

Hey Stefan,
Sorry I am just now seeing this post! I am sorry you are not satisfied with your Perfect Touch Picks!

Would love to chat with you to learn more or see if we can get you comfortable with them! Please PM me or connect through the website: www.perfecttouchpicks.com

Looking forward to chatting!

Dennis Saydak

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2017 3:48 pm    

To Bill Groner; I have a set of PT brass fingerpicks that I could not get used to. They are as new in the box. I tried to give them away a while back to anyone who made a small a donation to this forum. IF you are interested let me know and I'll send them to you. They are beautifully made but I just prefer my Nationals and Kysers.

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2017 5:43 am    

Dennis Saydak wrote:
To Bill Groner; I have a set of PT brass fingerpicks that I could not get used to. They are as new in the box. I tried to give them away a while back to anyone who made a small a donation to this forum. IF you are interested let me know and I'll send them to you. They are beautifully made but I just prefer my Nationals and Kysers.

Thanks for your offer, but I have already purchased a set around the time of my original post. I use them off and on, but I have been experimenting with some others. PP are very nicely made.