The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Indy Steel Club Annual Concert Review
David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2017 10:18 am    

What a FANTASTIC DAY!!!!! I can't think of anything that could have been better. Jerry Fessenden started the day off doing a great job as always followed by club President Sharon Denny and her Gold Dust Girls. As always, Sharon does a super job and reminds us about the Hawaian connection with the steel guitar.

Mike Salley showed us what practicing every spare minute can get you... Great results!!
Mike did a wonderful job and chose some neat material like " Somewhere Over the Rainbow".
And as every time before, Chet Brummet brings the sounds of great solid country steel guitar along with his "entourage" and does a great job.

Smokey McCoy gave us a treat with his smooth, solid, true country voice doing a few songs.
I was happy to finally get to do my steel segment this year. Seems like every year I've been busy somewhere else or run out of time, but this year I got to play and I Thank everyone for their support and praise. I prepared really hard for my show and was very happy with how it went. I had a great time.

Dave Jackson came in loaded for Bear!!!! Dave is without doubt one of the finer steel guitar players around and his "support group" The Million Dollar Garage band, consist of some of the finest road, studio and stage musicians you can find! With twin fiddles, twin lead guitars, a monster rhythm section and Daves incredible steel playing this was a real treat!! He closed out with a Smokin hot version of FOUR....and it was a 10!!!!

To finish out the day was the amazing Doug Jernigan and he was INCREDIBLE!!! Doug has the ability to appeal to the average music lover but at the same time keep the most intelligently trained musician amazed with what he does. Doug had a top notch band behind him consisting of the great David Smith on bass, Deana Johnson on drums and myself on lead guitar. He did everything from a beautiful solo version of "The Streets of Laredo" to the incredibly complicated "Anthropology" He closed out with a screaming fast Orange Blossom Special that set the stage on fire!!
So as I said before.....WHAT A FANTASTIC DAY!!!! It was a good turnout of old and new friends and a great audience! The Indy steel guitar club is growing in strength and size and it's a great thing!! If you missed this show, you missed a good one!! I want to personally thank Mark Holler and Randy Raines for all of their help with PA equipment and set up all day long! They made my job much easier. A big Thanks to Tom Sosebe for being the Emcee and everyone else who helped us! So, check out the Indy Steel guitar club on Facebook and come join us at our next show. I promise it to be a great day!

David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2017 7:40 pm    

If anyone has any pictures from the Steel show they would be willing to share I would appreciate it. I would like to build a Steel show photo album. Thank you all so much.

David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 5:39 pm    

I'm still looking for some pictures from the Indy Steel show. I've gotten a few but I'm sure there are some other ones out there. Please share them with us if you were lucky enough to take some. Thanks again and Happy Steelin'

Anthony Lis

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 7:42 pm    

David,

Thanks for the report. I had a chance to meet Sharon Denney at Arthur's Music in Indianapolis last month.