The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Joe Carson
Dick Hitchcock

Wayne, Nebraska
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 4:13 am    

Does any body know who played steel on Joe Carson's album in the 60's?

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 4:36 am    

That album wasn't conceived as an LP release. It's just a collection of 45s that were gathered together as an LP after he passed away in 1964.

So, it was recorded over several sessions with various players--Walter Haynes, Buddy Emmons, and mostly Billy Mize.

Those were his final recordings--he had earlier recorded as a teenager with Pee Wee Whitewing, Bob White, and Ralph Mooney.

Pretty good lineup of steelers for a guy that never had a huge hit--which speaks to his reputation, I'd say.

All of it available on a Bear Family CD.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 9:34 am    

One of my favorite albums. Stands the test of time. Joe might well have been a star had he lived.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 10:10 am    

I used to watch Joe Carson when he would be in Los Angeles and played "Cal's Corral" on Sunday afternoons. KCOP, channel 13, sponsored by Cal Worthington. We're talking 1963 or so. I was in high school and playing dobro along with the television. Smile

"Double Life" and "Helpless" are on my Desert Island list. Produced by Tommy Allsup, who sadly passed away this past year.

Joe's son Randy lives in Austin and is a multi-instrumentalist who plays steel as well as guitar.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Dick Hitchcock

Wayne, Nebraska
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 2:41 pm    

Thanks guys....I was a young lead guitar player when I first heard Joe, and the songs and the steel just blew me away. Helpless and double life were way ahead of their time, at least in Nebraska at the time. That is when I got the fever, and then I heard Mooney, and by the way now, Clyde Mattocks. Clyde, you are awesome with a wonderful touch...Herb, I hope to see you in Mesa in January...Thanks guys....Dick.

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 8:06 am     Joe Carson

I was playing steel with Joe in Wichita Falls the year he was killed in the car accident When he was being taken to the hospital it was believed he wasn.t hurt bad. But he had internal bleeding on the brain as I recall. As I recall He was called little Joe Carson at the time and we both played fiddle for Jimmy Heap one night trying out for a job with Jimmy Heap. If I remember this correctly Lil Joe was a very good fiddle player also. Been a long time back but this is how I remember it. Tracy

Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 8:21 am     Re: Joe Carson

I also remember seeing Cal"s corral while I was playing in the L.A. area. Don't recall who I was playing with at the time. WOW,I sure got around back then. Very Happy BTW. I never played on Cals Corral.

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 10:44 am    

For those interested, there are 4 Albums of Joe Carson on Spotify, including the tracks mentioned in this thread.

https://play.spotify.com/artist/5IQ1uvatYxPsKqHwGbXSbf

James.

Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 10:54 am    

I was in the Navy back then listened to Cal's show every week. The Maddox bros. and Rose were the band great music. They also had a star most weeks such as Carl Smith. Wes