The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  UPDATE: Running Revelation in Mono (Stewart amp failure)
Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 9:34 am    

Hi all,

I have a Revelation that I want to run in Mono. Should I use my Stewart World 1.2 power amp in bridged mode or use 1 channel in stereo mode? I am running through a Telonics 15-4 which is only rated at 300 W, so I have concerns about running the Stewart amp in bridged mode.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by Paul Stauskas on 22 Aug 2017 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 11:22 am    

I've run my Rev in mono to bridge setting on my Carvin stereo rack amp (which combines the stereo outputs to mono)when I'm using one speaker. Or, I run both on stereo if I'm using two speakers.
The Carvin has a limiter to keep from peaking the speakers. Not sure about the Stewart, but I have no problems either way.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 12:29 pm    

Dennis thank you for the reply. I noticed that the Stewart World manual states on page 8 that Stewart amps do not have any current limiting feature, which it sounds like your Carvin does have and thus offers protection.

Chris Robbins

Biggsville Illinois
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 1:12 pm     mono

Paul I have the same rack a rev with a stewart amp if you call Brad Sarno he will talk you thru anything you need to know .

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 2:13 pm    

According to the Crown audio website, a speakers's peak power rating is typically 4 times its continuous power rating. So if the Telonics speaker is rated for 300 W continuous power handling it should be sufficient as long as I am not using the Stewart amp at it's peak power in bridged mode continuously, which I obviously dont't think I will be doing.

What do you guys think?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 4:57 pm    

One side delivers 600W, more than enough to fry your speaker if you push things. Use only one side (mono mode) to reduce the likelihood of frying the speaker.
If you give the other side no input, it won't notice that you are running into an open circuit.

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 5:44 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
One side delivers 600W, more than enough to fry your speaker if you push things. Use only one side (mono mode) to reduce the likelihood of frying the speaker.
If you give the other side no input, it won't notice that you are running into an open circuit.

Thank you Lane. So are you suggesting to only use 1 channel in "unbridged" stereo mode leaving the other channel as an open circuit?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 9:54 pm    

Exactly. If you can turn off channel 2, that'd be better, but leave it in stereo, with the second channel doing nothing

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 6:03 pm    

Update: I switched over to running unbridged, right channel only. The Stewart began smoking and my rack fan shorted out.

I disconnected everything and am putting it aside for now. Time for a new power amp I guess?

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 7:58 pm    

Sounds like it might have needed a load on the unused side? It's usually not as necessary with a transistor amp. A tube amp will run hot without a load (speaker) connected.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 8:26 pm    

That's odd. This should be an appropriate use. I'm thinking something was wrong inside there. Was the rack fan separate? It shouldn't have shorted. Something is quite odd.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 3:58 am    

I read the owners manual on line. It doesn't have a fan. Instead, convection cooling. However, it has protective thermal shut-down. The only damage warning listed is, don't switch from bridged/mono modes while the amp is turned on. There's no do/don't mention of running without a load on a channel. If it's relevant, it should have shut itself down. The website has contact info. You can probably email Stewart with questions.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 4:03 am    

If you're looking for a good quality used power amp, try a Carvin HT400. It's very versatile. A built in limiter and the right amount of power for steel speakers in either mode. I run the volume controls at half power and have plenty of volume in outdoor venues.

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 5:14 am    

SA-500W power amp

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 11:08 am    

This info may be a little late for you.... Typically when you switch to/from bridge mode the speaker wiring also needs to be changed from a standard stereo configuration.

Robert

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 12:54 pm    

Thanks for the advice guys. In response to Robert's post, I did rewire the speaker connections to the right channel when I switched to stereo mode.

I emailed Stewart to see what they would say. Crown recommended running in stereo mode using 1 channel only if I were to use the Crown XLS 1002 amp.