The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Help! Buying a New Guitar
Ryan Rough

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 6:50 pm    

Hello everyone!
First time poster here. About 6 or 7 months ago, I ventured into the pedal steel world buying my first ever steel and deciding to learn how to play. I ended up with a hell of a steal on a Carter Starter 3x4. The time has come now, that I am looking to further my playing and buy something that I can feel is more of an investment, rather than a "toy." I'm no pro by no means, but I feel it is time to move up from a starter model. So therefore, I am asking what are the guitars that you guys (and ladies) recommend? I have looked into Mullen,and GFI mostly. Right now, leaning towards the Mullen. Also, should I take the step and buy new, or should I buy used? What combination do you guys recommend as well concerning pedals and KL's?

I have found an instrument that I love dearly. The steel is one that I feel I can always learn on. Thanks in advance for the help, and God Bless. Very Happy

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 10:08 pm    

While you didn't mention any of the guitars that make me drool, I'd happily play either of them. There's no steel on the market that I'd turn down.

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 4:00 pm    

Ryan,
At the top of this page, click on the links. Then you will see a list of many folks who manufactures steel guitars today. Check out their web sites for styles, features and prices. I like Mullen guitars and Show Pro, but they are all pretty well made today.
There is a Louisville Metro Steel Guitar club listed under organizations. Go to a meeting to meet some players and talk with them. They will help. Feel free to ask questions here on the Forum too. Good luck with your quest.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2017 6:50 pm    

Ryan, if money is not an issue, go for new. It's your guitar then, you picked it, you chose the color, the set up, and everything on it, is a touch of you. You will always love it. I just ordered my first new one, will get it in about 4 more weeks. It's a Mullen, and Mike is great to work with. Doug Earnest is another fine man to work with at Zum, but I understand he's not taking any new orders, but not sure. Just go new, there are a lot out there.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Rick Kornacker

Dixon Springs, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 6:44 am     another thing to consider...

Hey Ryan! A lot of useful advice so far, but some other things to consider. Since you are such a new player you will undoubtedly own more than a few guitars if you stay with it over the years. If the first new guitar you buy turns out not to be what you hoped for you will take a "hit" selling it. Much like buying that new car and what happens after "driving it off the lot". If the buyer is older and more knowlegable about what he really likes and wants in a guitar and intends to sail into the sunset with it, then it really doesn't matter to him. I believe that the steel guitar market is very "soft"(and getting softer")every day. Frankly speaking, used guitars can be awesome values, you see them on this "Forum" everyday! A lot of the guys looking to sell their "top shelf" guitars for the price they expect will be sitting on them for a while. Unfortunately, a lot of them will end up in the closet or under the bed. So, maybe the answer for you is to work your way up with some really "good value" guitars. Enjoy them for a few years and then sell them on, without great loss. All the while you will find more and more about what you really like and must have in a guitar. I believe(and hope) this will be good advice for you and others to consider. Respectfully submitted, RK

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 11:45 am    

Very good advice Rick. First time I have seen you on here. Nice to see you here. Jim
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 1:42 pm    

nothing wrong with Carter Starter, I've seen and heard Terry Crisp playing CS , and it didn't sound anything like a "toy" to me.... keep and play your CS for a couple years, concentrate on learning how to play , and get a good tone first, and after couple years you will also have a better idea which guitar you'd like to buy next ... just my opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT1TvjnlYHM&feature=share

Last edited by Damir Besic on 24 Aug 2017 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2017 1:46 pm    

I'll agree there Damir.

Robert Rhea

Panama City, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 7:04 am    

Hi Ryan. You haven't mentioned what style of music you are playing and if you want to have a D-10 at some point. If you only intend to play country, stick with an S-10 or SD-10. I would for sure do as Rick mentioned and look for a good used guitar. Moving from a Carter Starter to a Carter Pro model is also a good choice. They are built much different from a Starter. If you are interested, I will have a Carter D-10 up for sale in about 3 weeks. I will be getting my new Justice Pro-Lite then, which by the way is another guitar to look into. If you are interested in my Carter, I can sent you pics and the price I'll be asking. I'm only selling it because I don't ever intend on learning the C6 tuning. Good luck!

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 9:32 am    

Being a manufacturer I have ran into this scenario many times. While the Carter is a good starting instrument to see if you can play the thing, from what I hear the most is that is just about all they are. I have had many people get into a Discovery because they were ready to upgrade. I have had so many emails and thanks by these people saying how much better and faster their playing has improved. With a good guitar that stays in tune and plays well, you can improve as a player at a much quicker pace. Less time tinkering more time playing. I just have witnessed this many times over the years. There are a few good entry type level guitars, but my recommendation, buy what you want, pick something that works and is known to work well and hold its value. I'm kinda partial but the Discovery fits this bill. Wink http://www.mullenguitars.com/discovery.htm#.WaRTR7pFyUk

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 11:39 am    

Don't know where in KY you are... But if you can make a trip to the next state south, you can test drive some new steels...
http://www.steelguitarsofnashville.com/

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 1:26 pm    

Mike, on that I will have to agree. I started on a Sho Bud Pro III, I have also tried the Carter Starter. It is just a starter. I have heard it played beautiful, but it doesn't hpld a candle to a Zum StageOne, as far as a starter. The Discovery or even the Encore are along with the Pro Lite, and etc, but are built for long lasting guitar.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2017 3:01 pm    

If your budget will allow it, the Mullen Discovery is the way to go. It will do anything you want it to do, and is a pro guitar all the way. Mullen is the best for service after the sale, but I have had my Mullen since 2009 and have never needed service.
Good luck on your venture. Larry