The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Advent of the Reverse Slant
Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 2:03 pm    

JMWO, I could not live without forward and reverse slants on both the straight or pedal steel. I guess it boils down to how long ago you began playing and what you had for a guitar over the years. Jay Y.

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 2:34 pm    

I grew up believing forward and reverse slants could and should be used. Most players don't make perfect,
but acceptable slants. I continue to make forward and reverse slants, and constantly strive to be better.

C. E. Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 5:55 am    

As far as the technique goes when doing slants, it's all in the fingers, you don't twist your wrist, just watch Jerry Byrd. Very Happy

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 6:15 am    

When I was learning, 99% on my own, it seemed like slants were an important part of non-pedal steel playing so I just hacked away at 'em from the very start. You can play some great music without ever slanting the bar even once but I believe you're short changing yourself in regards to what the instrument can offer if you ignore slant-bar playing.

Quote:
That split reverse with two dead strings in the middle is interesting. I don't think I've ever seen that in print before.

Agree, Guy. Interesting!

Someone posted a cool clip on FB the other day of Paul Franklin playing pedal steel in the studio. In the middle of a cool, complex chord run he tossed in a perfect reverse slant.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 8:10 am    

I'd like to hear the author of the book play this one in tune... Winking It might work with mucho vibrato.

Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 6:21 pm    

George Rout wrote:
C'mon David, that is a picture of some nice scenery on a model railroad.

Re the reverse slants, being an old timer using A Major tuning, I've been playing them since Pontius was a pilot, in fact he was just an air cadet when I was taking Hawaiian guitar lessons in 1948. I hated them because they were had to get accurately with small hands. However, I still teach using them in A Major today. I think all this A Major tuning will drop dead with me!!!!! Keep up the good work folks, I love it.

Geo

Listening to all those old recordings, it amazing how much music there is in that A maj tuning. Those reverse slants go back a long way.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 12:49 am    

Andy Volk wrote:
When I was learning, 99% on my own, it seemed like slants were an important part of non-pedal steel playing so I just hacked away at 'em from the very start. You can play some great music without ever slanting the bar even once but I believe you're short changing yourself in regards to what the instrument can offer if you ignore slant-bar playing.

Quote:
That split reverse with two dead strings in the middle is interesting. I don't think I've ever seen that in print before.

Agree, Guy. Interesting!

Someone posted a cool clip on FB the other day of Paul Franklin playing pedal steel in the studio. In the middle of a cool, complex chord run he tossed in a perfect reverse slant.

Spot on Andy.

Its just a part of playing. Forward, reverse, split and straight

Not to mention open strings which I avoid usually - as harder to transpose but I realise Buddy and Doug and Tom all used open strings not because they had to but because it offered a specific lower register (lower Octave/pedal point in a higher octave)

I'm going to be looking at these later on but not ready yet as the possibilities there are loads.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 5:58 pm    

Interesting to see Alvino Rey offering two styles of reverse slant in 1937.

Personally, I find it hard to make the wrist bend (ex 2) work. It is just too uncomfortable.

I find that I can get a pretty quick slant with fingers and thumb but there is a little bit of wrist in there as well.

Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2017 6:25 pm    

This doesn't use the top string so it is good for C6 and A6 but for C6 the key will be F.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2017 3:50 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
I'd like to hear the author of the book play this one in tune... Winking It might work with mucho vibrato.

I would try getting the notes on the 5th and 2nd strings as close to in tune as possible and use extra pressure - on a bullet tip bar - to fudge the 1st string note in tune.

It still would benefit from vibrato - and just using it as a passing chord, not holding it out.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2017 3:52 am    

Guy Cundell wrote:

I find that I can get a pretty quick slant with fingers and thumb but there is a little bit of wrist in there as well.

With me it depends on how fast I have to get in and out of position. I use the fingers when I have time, but when the tempo is fast, a bit of wrist comes into play.