The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Needing Advise on PSG decision!
Cris Clark

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 9:37 pm    

I am new to the SGF and this is my first time to post seeking guidance and advise! I would appreciate and welcome any knowledge or advise anyone might offer on this subject! If person wanted to purchase a Franklin guitar but could no longer find one available, of all the great PSG being made today which guitar company builds a guitar the closest to a S-10 Franklin being made today? So many great companies out there today in researching this and I want to make the best choice as I decide on which guitar that would come closest to it? Thought I would see if I could get some knowledgeable opinions before I make a final decision! I apppreciate any input, advise or wisdom anyone could offer me! Cris

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 11:02 pm    

Have you ever played pedal steel guitar? If you are a complete rookie (which is OK, we all have to start somewhere), you don't need to be trying to buy the absolute best steel guitar. Buying a good steel that plays well and tunes up as it should certainly helps the learning process, but you don't need to be trying to buy the most expensive steel made today. Lots of builders are making very good steels for starting out, both entry level steels and professional level steels.

I'd look at Stage One, BMI, Justice, Desert Rose, Mullen, GFI, Williams, Jackson, Fessenden, Rittenberry, ShowPro (listed in no particular order). I've undoubtedly forgotten someone.

In my opinion the steels that sound the closest to a Franklin would be an Emmons, but you'd have to buy a used Emmons (unless you had Mike Cass build you one.)

Bill Fisher

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 11:55 pm     What to buy?

I asked Jeff Newman, in the early 80's, what to buy. What did he tell me? A Zumsteel. What did I buy? An Emmons. Why? Name only. I knew nothing about them, either. Of course, in my opinion now, the BEST PSG ever made is the Anapeg. But you have the same problem, as they are no longer made. You might take a look at the Zumsteel, as Jeff seemed to appreciate them. He was a good instructor, so you might give that comparison some thought. Look at them all, slowly, and you'll figure it out.

Bill

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 4:19 am     The Search

Cris, I invite you to look at our website,
http://www.justicesteelguitars.com/
I build an S10~3x4 entry level, and S10~Pro, and a Pro Lite. Check them all out Welcome to the Steel Guitar Forum, God bless you.

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 5:38 am    

Also, Mullen has posted on Facebook that they are now building the G2 as a true s10 model. Definitely worth a look.

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 5:58 am    

Never having played a Franklin, I don't know much about them. I have a Zum and it is a keeper. If I was in the market for a new steel today, I'd be looking real hard at Mullen and Show Pro.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 7:10 am    

Go find Steel players in Georgia check out there steels and talk with them while you are sitting at one. John Neff comes to mind but there are many other talented pro level players there also. Meet as many as possible. There is no way to get an understanding of what you are getting into by looking at a small screen that emits light.

Without having a personally experienced context the information you get from the forum can be very misleading. Facebook and YouTube are worse.

Really, go hang with some steel players. Just about everybody that can play will be happy to geek out with a new guy.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 8:26 am    

Pretty much any aluminum neck full scale steel is gonna give you the "Franklin-ish" sound you want.
IMHO, the best sounding guitars that are easy to find nowadays are Emmons, Zumsteel, & Mullen. There are many, but these are the ones I am familiar with, having owned a Zum & Currently owning an Emmons & Mullen.

Igor Fiksman

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 10:59 am    

Chris, where in GA are you? I'm in Savannah, and would be happy to talk shop with you. As Bob said above, John Neff is a monster player out of Athens, a good friend and a really nice guy to boot. I'm sure he'd give you solid advice. There are a few other players in Athens as well, all great friendly guys, a guy in Waycross and a gentleman in Brunswick that I'm yet to meet, who seem to really know their stuff.
And most steel players I know really enjoy geeking out about all things steel guitar.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 11:18 am    

There are some really amazing players in Atlanta also.

Cris Clark

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 8:45 am     Thanks Everyone!

Thanks to all who offered advise and help! I am located in Northwest corner of state of GA just outside Chattanooga! I would like to meet and get to know others in both Tn and Ga that play steel and could help me in my journey! Sounds like I for sure need to get to know the steel player from Athens! He sounds like he could be a real wealth of a knowledge base for me and just a neat person to get to know! I am returning to the steel after a lot of years away and I am enjoying getting back! The sad part is I feel like a beginner again but I am seeing so many more resources for learning than we had when I started back in early 80s when I was in high school!! That's very encouraging and this SGF is the best of it all I believe! Thanks again for all the advise! I feel where I am located I am surrounded by a wealth of talent and I look forward to meeting and getting to know each of you! I will watch for any events or shows From Atlanta area north to Chattanooga or even Nashville coming up in future and do my best to attend! If Any of u know of certain events in my area that are just MUST that I can't miss let me know! I am definitely planing, Lord willing, to be at the Dallas show in March! I hear it has taken the place of St Louis show, the big one I remember attending!! Looking forward to that!! Thanks again for all the advise! I am sure I will be needing much more in days to come!! Cris

Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 1:46 pm    

There may be players with different priorities than I have but between my great sounding 82 Emmons PP and 74 Shobud and a 02 Fessenden... my most played guitar is a....

1973 MSA.

Total creature comfort... and stays in tune always... solid and simple mechanics.. tone and sustain is good enough... and... half the price....

If I sold them all... I could afford a Franklin...

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 1:54 pm    

Paul Sutherland wrote:
Have you ever played pedal steel guitar? If you are a complete rookie (which is OK, we all have to start somewhere), you don't need to be trying to buy the absolute best steel guitar. Buying a good steel that plays well and tunes up as it should certainly helps the learning process, but you don't need to be trying to buy the most expensive steel made today. Lots of builders are making very good steels for starting out, both entry level steels and professional level steels.

I'd look at Stage One, BMI, Justice, Desert Rose, Mullen, GFI, Williams, Jackson, Fessenden, Rittenberry, ShowPro (listed in no particular order). I've undoubtedly forgotten someone.

In my opinion the steels that sound the closest to a Franklin would be an Emmons, but you'd have to buy a used Emmons (unless you had Mike Cass build you one.)

right on target...

Richard Lotspeich

North Georgia
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 3:48 pm    

I'm in Chatsworth/Dalton, and happy to answer questions or help in any way.Not many players in this area to talk shop.PM or email if you wish.