The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Questions on Carvin BX500
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 10:20 am    

Rick, by chassis do you mean a rack? If you mean rack, I don't know. I never use the the Carvin in a rack - I just carry it with a shoulder bag and set it up from there. If I use a rack for reverb and preamp (heavier than the Carvin), I put the Carvin on top of the rack. If, by chassis, you mean something else, I don't know about that either.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2017 10:27 am    

A comment on the preamp tube in the BX amps. There is a definite "hearable" difference between full solid state or with the tube switched in the circuit. The first triode stage of the tube is a true tube amplifier stage, the second triode stage is basically a buffer.

Many devices with a tube "preamp" are not really a true amplifier stage but merely "starved plate" (low B+ plate voltage) buffers. I've had several devices with the starved plate design and none really added anything to the signal. For example, a Presonus Dual Blue Tube preamp, for mic or instrument. This is a starved plate type, and in my recording studio it made no difference whether going direct to the recording interface unit or with the Dual Blue Tube preamp in the line - either with a microphone, instrument or a direct line from a guitar amp line out. The inexpensive ART preamps are another example of the Starved Plate design.

Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 2:01 pm    

Weird...I edited my prior post. I was asking about whether the tube makes a noticeable difference. I hear you, Jack. Are you saying that you can't hear a difference between tube and non-tube mode, Susan?

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2017 7:54 pm    

Jack, yes, I did write that I did not hear much of a difference, but I was mistaken - not thinking clearly. I did actually hear a difference, but I didn't care for the sound of the tube "drive". However . . . I need to amend that. I just looked at the "perfect" setting I arrived at, and the drive was on 7 1/2 with the master on 1 (for my music room). I have a feeling that my preferred settings may not be what everyone else wants, but if you'd like, I'll post a photo.

Also, here's an interesting article about graphic eq on the Carvin website:

http://carvinaudio.com/blogs/guitar-bass-education/the-guitarist-s-introductory-guide-to-graphic-eq?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=blog&utm_medium=email&utm_content=The%20Guitarist%E2%80%99s%20Introductory%20Guide%20to%20Graphic%20EQ

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2017 3:31 am    

I came to my conclusion when the original 12AX7 tube went bad on a job (started distorting). I bypassed the tube with the rear panel switch and immediately noticed a difference in sound. Its subtle but it had sort of a "sterile" sound that I hear with some solid state amps. Next day I replaced the tube and the slight added tube sound was back.

As a side note, my BX500 now has a NOS RCA 12AX7 tube in it.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2017 7:17 am    

I just looked at the back of my Carvin, and the tube is bypassed. I'm getting a nice rich, clear, warm sound without it. When I play through it again, I'll turn the tube on and see what the difference is - maybe I'll like it better. Either way, it is possible to get a nice sound on this (affordable) amp.

- Mary Oliver

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2017 11:11 am    

Susan, how the EQ is set can have a major difference between two pickers. Also how we hear the sound.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2017 11:21 am    

I agree, Jack. No two ears are the same, we all play differently using different guitars, and we each have a slightly different sound we want to hear. We can get ideas and maybe a starting point from looking at someone else's eq, but ultimately we're on our own. However, when I get an eq setting I like, I take a photo on my phone. The eq will always change (as will our ears throughout a day and through time), but it's nice to have as a point of reference.

- Mary Oliver

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 5:52 am    

Can you use the power amp with just one speaker or is that a no no?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 10:24 am    

I'm only using one speaker. Its a "mono" amp. There are two connections for speakers, either 4 or 8 ohms or if the "2 ohm" switch is activated it will accept a 2 ohm load (two 4 ohm speakers in parallel would be 2 ohms load).

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 4:57 pm    

Can i ask Susan and Jack if you use the EQ or or flip the bypass switch?

I just got one today, so the experimenting begins.

Ron Hogan
Nashville

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2017 6:33 pm    

Hi Ron,

I use mine with a single 15" 40hm speaker. I usually turn off the tube preamp; sometimes I use the eq and sometimes I turn it off - it depends on the sound I'm getting at the time. I can't say that I have that amp completely figured out, but that's what I do when I play it.

- Mary Oliver

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 2:17 am    

I don't use the graphic EQ. I set the other controls similar to how I would set a Peavey steel amp. I'm using a single 15" Eminence EPS-15C speaker (set up on a stand not on the floor). Works for me and my D-10 Franklin with Lawrence 710 pickups.

I had a person from the audience, at my regular Monday evening gig, that goes to many of the country shows in the area and he told me my steel tone was the best.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 4:52 am    

Ron, Set the eq for steel with the graphic eq off, then set the graphic eq to get a Dobro sound with the steel, then you can switch it in and out. Norm

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 5:23 am    

The only problem I have ever had with any Carvin equipment is when a young man blew up my PB-100-10 amp. I had to get a power amp module (aka IC). Carvin wanted an exorbitant price for it ($30-$40). It had a sticker over the factory number, after peeling it off carefully I found out it was a standard IC power amp chip that cost about $6.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 6:13 am    

Quote:
Set the eq for steel with the graphic eq off, then set the graphic eq to get a Dobro sound with the steel

Thanks Norm

I've been dragging a Bradshaw Dobro pedal around for doing 2-3 songs. I tried to set my Zoom MS-50G for dobro but was not happy with it. It never occurred to me to use the excellent 9 band EQ on the BX500.

I'm going to try that out today.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 6:59 am    

Thx Steel Men and steel Women!

I'll try some stuff today and report back.

Ron

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 7:28 am    

Scott Duckworth wrote:
The only problem I have ever had with any Carvin equipment is when a young man blew up my PB-100-10 amp. I had to get a power amp module (aka IC). Carvin wanted an exorbitant price for it ($30-$40). It had a sticker over the factory number, after peeling it off carefully I found out it was a standard IC power amp chip that cost about $6.

Sounds like typical Carvin support: among the very WORST in the industry. They overcharge for everything if their equipment fails, and if it's over 5 years old, they consider it unrepairable junk. Nice.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2017 7:46 am    

I've never found a graphic EQ that could compete with my Goodrich MatchBro. I've fooled Bluegrass pickers with my MatchBro. My MatchBro died a while back and the current Goodrich co did not get any schematics for the Matchbro when they bought the company. I was afraid I was doomed and bought one of Tom Bradshaw's Dobro boxes. It is good but the Goodrich MatchBro has the edge. Fortunately another forumite had reverse engineered the MatchBro and made a schematic. He sent me a copy and I was able to repair mine.

I've seen some old Goodrich products (not the current owner's) that had the original part number markings removed. Same way, one of the 3rd Party mod kits for the Peavey steel amps does or did paint over the IC numbers. So its not just Carvin.

I used to do amp repair (in Nashville) and saw components in amps that only had the company part number on them (although they were standard components). Standel was bad about that. The original Emmons amp was made for Emmons by Standel and the one that I worked on had the Standel part numbers on components.

Many older TV's had vendor part numbers on components. I had a friend that had a TV repair shop and he always complained about that, especially with Sylvania and Sony's. Some could be cross referenced but not all.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 10:42 am    

A sample so far using the Carvin BX500. So far so good. I'm really liking it for a Peavey man!

http://picosong.com/vUXA/

Thx,
Ron Hogan

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 11:08 am    

Ron.

Mic'd or direct out?

Sounds like you've got it dialed in. I hope I was able to help.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2017 1:39 pm    

Mic.

Thx to Ollin, Jack and Steve. Good tips for setting it up. I can't wait to try it on a gig.

Ron

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 11:16 am    

I'm still experimenting with the CARVIN BX500 power amp. First gig out with it tomorrow.

Some samples thus far:

http://picosong.com/wseEy/

http://picosong.com/wseE4/

http://picosong.com/wseEg/

Ron Hogan

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2018 10:01 am     Carvi n BX-500 amp (main or backup) $175.00 inc. shipping.

Please delete.

Last edited by George Kimery on 9 Oct 2018 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total