The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cleaning an old PSG Case
Tim Holmgren

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 11:39 pm    

I have two Emmons guitar cases. They are covered in the standard black vinyl. One case is shiny, deep black. The vinyl on the second one is dull, perhaps dusty. The vinyl is intact and not otherwise damaged or ripped.

I would like to clean the dull vinyl on this second case and make it shine like the newer case. I want to be careful not to damage the vinyl in any way.Does anyone have any specific experience in cosmetically refurbishing the vinyl on an Emmons case successfully?

I realize there are cleaners available such as Back to Black, Armor All, etc. I'm just hoping to get some advice based on real-world experience so that I don't damage 30-year-old vinyl that may be fragile.

I appreciate any guidance that the SGF community can provide... Thanks!

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 4:55 am    

Dish soap, warm water and a soft scrub brush is the best thing to start with from my experience. Give it a couple of good baths wiping it down and letting it dry between each treatment and repeat as needed until it's nice and clean.

After that a light treatment of something such as ArmorAll will give it some luster and help protect and condition it. Don't use a lot, rub it in with a soft cloth, let it dry and then rub with a dry cloth. It should look pretty good at this point.

I have done lots of cases and amplifiers this way.

I don't know that I would try any of that Back To Black stuff. It's good for the trim on cars though. If you do try it just do a tiny spot and then wait several days to see what happens.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 7:40 am    

Clean it up good and then ArmorAll it. Very Happy

Tim Holmgren

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 10:19 pm    

Thanks, Doug and Erv for the info / advice regarding cleaning my PSG case properly...

- Tim H