The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recommendation for Pictures storage?
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 6:38 am    

Yo-za. A few months back, both hotmail & verizon decided to assassinate my freebie e-mails, and now when I try to use or upload pictures in Photobucket... it won't. And it's covered over FILTHY with advertisements and frankly, I don't TRUST them with my new real E-mail. I am looking for a recommendation for a free picture storage method, I want to be able to insert pix into posts. I'm running Windows 10... any hope? It seems as though a PARFULL GREED FIT has overtaken the net but... hep?

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 8:28 am    

"Insert pictures into posts"....where? If you're talking about this forum, you can do it from your hard drive - external storage not needed.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 2:45 pm    

Free or very reaonable storage sites:

Dropbox
Box
Google Drive

My main go to site is Dropbox. I often need files on my PC, iPad, phone. I can get the same file on any device from anywhere. If you don't want to keep them on your hard drive, this is an option. A second, or external, hard drive would work.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2017 8:25 pm    

Microsoft OneDrive is part of Windows 10. You can have 5 GB of storage and sync with your computers, for free. And, if you need to share files and photos in OneDrive, they have two Premium plans, starting at 1TB storage.

You can read about the OneDrive plans here.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2017 9:14 pm    

Guy's what's the deal with these "clouds" i keep hearing about? My sister asked me if i ever considered the "Amazon Cloud" to host my photos? I was too embarrassed to tell her i had no idea what a storage cloud was. What is it, and is it an option for a computer dummy? Embarassed

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2017 10:20 pm    

George Redmon wrote:
Guy's what's the deal with these "clouds" i keep hearing about? My sister asked me if i ever considered the "Amazon Cloud" to host my photos? I was too embarrassed to tell her i had no idea what a storage cloud was. What is it, and is it an option for a computer dummy? :oops:

George;
"The Cloud" is Techspeak for online access to a slice of virtual drive space on a computer owned by some company with a huge budget and lots of servers in racks in an environmentally controlled warehouse that also has huge on-site power backup generators. You lease the amount of storage space and any syncing features they offer that you think you need or can afford.

In essence, anybody who pays for web hosting has the same virtual storage space to host their website files. The big difference between cloud storage and web hosting space is usually found in the terms of service. Most shared web hosting plans forbid the use of your rented space for storage purposes outside the website itself. The reason being that website files are not usually huge in comparison to the contents of a typical computer hard drive. It is worse if somebody wants to upload and store audio albums and video files for their own use.

Providing cloud storage is a costly business and a lot of startups have gone under, or priced themselves out of the market. The name is deceptive because it can lead one to believe that your files are just floating around in the sky, being magically stored inside clouds. Nothing could be further from the truth! Your files are spread out across many machines in racks inside data centers around the Country, or the World. They can be uploaded and downloaded, shared, deleted, edited, whatever, once you log into your account.

One often overlooked aspect of online cloud uploads and downloads is that it is being metered by your ISP and adds to your monthly data consumption. If you use Comcast as your ISP, they have begun charging additional fees for data exceeding 1 terabyte in any given month (after issuing you a warning and letting it slide for a month or two).

You can save money all around by purchasing an external backup drive inside an enclosure and connecting it to your computer with a USB cable (USB 3, preferably). Then you drag and drop files, or create an automatic backup task if they supply Acronis True Image with the drive. Some companies actually call their backup boxes Personal Clouds!
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2017 5:13 am    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
You can save money all around by purchasing an external backup drive inside an enclosure and connecting it to your computer with a USB cable (USB 3, preferably).

I realize that "cloud" storage has been all the rage the past few years, but I've NEVER been willing to trust my data to someone I don't know. I know it's supposed to be "safe and secure", and possibly encrypted, but malicious intent is a fact of life nowadays, and I just won't do it.

I've owned and used two such external drives, one 3TB, and the other 8TB, for backup and other storage for many years now. I alternate between the two for redundancy. "Clouds" may be in vogue, but what you're suggesting here is my chosen alternative. High capacity hard drives aren't that expensive anymore.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2017 7:27 am    

I'm with Dave, I have a 5 TB that I use for critical files that just have to be there.

I may differ from some folks in what I back up. I have all my applications on one hard drive, separate from my OS drive and that I do not back up, I can just reinstall the apps with my original installs which I do backup. Keeps my backup footprint smaller and less time to do so.

It is a given that not everyone separates their applications from their data, but the point is to backup, often.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2017 7:30 am    

Dave Potter wrote:

I realize that "cloud" storage has been all the rage the past few years, but I've NEVER been willing to trust my data to someone I don't know. I know it's supposed to be "safe and secure", and possibly encrypted, but malicious intent is a fact of life nowadays, and I just won't do it.

Cloud storage services are constantly being attacked or probed for vulnerabilities. They can be a treasure trove of data to hackers and extortionists. Often times, cybercriminals use cloud services to host malware files, phishing pages, pages for illicit goods and "cracked" commercial software. I often track email spam links to cloud services, like Amazon AWS.

Even if the cloud service one is using is not hacked (because they patch every vulnerability as it is announced in private security bulletins), there is a risk that the service may fold with little warning, taking your files with it. Or, a previously free cloud storage service may make the decision to charge for those accounts, or limit them in size and scope of features, like sharing and embedding (see this thread about Photobucket).

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 1:58 am    

The "cloud" is there to wean humanity off of having memory in their devices because there is an overall thrust for all information to be controlled by anyone other than you.

Notice how smart phones now have no replaceable battery. That happened because people, to protect their privacy were pulling out the batteries to really turn the phone off as merely turning the phone "off" does not do what it says.

Soon there will be no USB connection for an external memory on the newer devices coming down the road nor internal memory.

Everything will be placed in a "cloud" rendering your device a mere portal.

Best to start backing up your photos and other files you want saved on what is available now AND HANG ON TO YOUR OLDER DEVICES, PC, LAPTOP, THAT ACCEPT USB, flash drives, USB external drives.

Make copies on several drives. Even DVD disks if you have the burner and a USB connection.

Do not depend on online storage formats because you have no idea how reliable those will be and if they will be there for your life time.

If the grid goes down, you will not be able to access anything.

The internet is being used to glean info and ideas for inventions.

You will have to buy your storage devices so the idea of "free" is not what it's cracked up to be.

If you want a browser with less ads, try brave.com.

It's faster, blocks trackers and ads and they update their software regularly.

We don't really know the fate of the internet as it was supposed to be for military use only.

Right now censorship is being planned for the internet. Your devices like Android are produced with backdoor encryption at the factory even if these makers claim that any such backdoors are placed at point of sale. The backdoors are in the processor itself. You will also notice that android asks continually to access your files. All coordinated to data mine every step of the way.

A "google" is a one with a hundred zeros.

You have to be one step ahead.

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 6:29 am    

I keep everything, plus all my photos on a removable HD as a backup.
I also keep all of my photos on a thumb drive.
I use the thumb drive to post photos to forums I go to.
I have found only one forum that won't allow me to do that. No big deal.
I don't trust anyone's mystery monster server or something called a "cloud"
to safely store my photos or not use them as they please.
Also if their server crashes or is hacked my photos are safe with me.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 9:09 am    

I am with you on that Larry. My stuff remains with me.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 10:17 am    

Larry Carlson wrote:

I also keep all of my photos on a thumb drive.
I use the thumb drive to post photos to forums I go to.

+1 on that idea Exclamation

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 8:48 am    

Hopefully this fits this topic. Let's say I have a file named "Brand X" of say a dozen photos. What is the best and safest way to send an entire album of photos to a recipient in email in one file? That is, attach the entire file v. attaching individual photos. From my computer or an SD card, not using a hosting service.

When I open the file, it shows the computer name, user name, etc. I'm not sure if sending that info is safe or will even work.

I hope this makes sense. As you can tell, I'm pretty computer challenged.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 9:54 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Hopefully this fits this topic. Let's say I have a file named "Brand X" of say a dozen photos. What is the best and safest way to send an entire album of photos to a recipient in email in one file? That is, attach the entire file v. attaching individual photos. From my computer or an SD card, not using a hosting service.

When I open the file, it shows the computer name, user name, etc. I'm not sure if sending that info is safe or will even work.

The internet is monitored from the get-go. And if you use an Android, they were set up from the factory to track everything you do and everyone who you contact does.

Depending on your OS, for on a laptop, if you're using later versions of Windows like 10 you're already compromised. Best to use older OS like XP. That means having a dedicated cpu that is set up for XP. Yes you need several to get along these days. First off you have a 20mb limit through email, After that you need to use a file transfer service like Dropbox to send large files.

You can sort of disable some of the information on your file by right clicking Properties-details-remove properties and personal information. Another window will open, click ok on that and then click ok on the previous window. It may also help to not store photos or files on a pc that is/has been connected to the internet. Yes we need a separate pc that was never connected to the internet to store sensitive information.

But then the photos themselves will have information embedded into them when they were taken (by a digital device), including gps information if you used a cell phone to take the photos. And if you have the habit of naming all your devices under your name and being carte blanche with your personal information then all this info gets collated and basically you compromise yourself by being too free with who and where you are.

Lately there have been some people alarmed who have never used the internet finding out that personal info about them is on the internet. It's because someone in their family exposed their family's personal information.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 10:05 am    

A few years ago, I used Flickr to host some photos. Any comments, thoughts on that?

Edit: On second thought, I should go back and read this topic from the beginning for more info.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 2:00 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:

Use Winzip or 7zip to add and compress all of the photos inside one zip file. Attach that one file to outgoing emails.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 3:57 pm    

Thanks Wiz. So those are programs or apps one needs to download? Would that be better than linking to an album on a hosting site like Flickr that I mentioned above?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2017 3:12 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Thanks Wiz. So those are programs or apps one needs to download? Would that be better than linking to an album on a hosting site like Flickr that I mentioned above?

Yes, they are software programs. Winzip is from www.winzip.com and 7zip is from www.7-zip.org

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 8:45 am    

Be aware that most email sevices have limits on the total size of your attachments. Zipping photos should help a lot, but only if the zip file is under the maximum amount of data you can attach.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 9:11 am    

...aah, I had not considered that Richard.

Also, I guess, because I have had trouble opening incoming zipped files sent to me, I thought perhaps my recipient[s] might also...so just trying to avoid problems all around.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 10:45 pm    

I know i'm slowly getting mine off of Photobucket. I took your advice Wiz, and purchased a 2T external. Now i take the photos i want to have printed, put them on a CD, or thumb drive to Walmart. Print them out works great for me. Appreciated GR