The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recommend an overdrive!
Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2017 6:35 pm    

Simble Drive on top of Xotic AC Plus OD/Boost for lap steel.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2017 12:27 am    

Karl, I play pedal steel through a Roland Cube 60 set to a Fender Twin ( its called a "Black Panel" on the amp ) and I feel its a good sounding amp model. On six string guitar I use a Swart Atomic Space Tone, which is a highly respected hand wired all tube boutique amp made in South Carolina. I first used the Bad Horse with my pedal steel and I really liked the way it sounded, giving me a little bit of overdrive but still having a clean sound to it. I tried it with my six string rig on a Blues/Classic Rock gig and I was really impressed with the way it gave me a natural overdrive sound, while still keeping the integrity of the amp. I've seen the term "transparency" used to describe this in ads for boutique overdrive pedals. The Bad Horse won't give you a heavy distortion tone, but it is still enough overdrive for a Blues, Blues Rock type sound. If you end up trying one, let me know what you think.

Dennis Andreatta

hazel crest,illinois,60429
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2017 5:20 am    

I have tried several overdrive pedals. Some to strong and other very thin. I finally tried a RAT overdrive pedal and I like it. I have a 710 pickup on my emmons and the combo of the rat and pickup seem ok to me.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 12:30 pm    

Bob Watson wrote:
Karl, I play pedal steel through a Roland Cube 60 set to a Fender Twin ( its called a "Black Panel" on the amp ) and I feel its a good sounding amp model. On six string guitar I use a Swart Atomic Space Tone, which is a highly respected hand wired all tube boutique amp made in South Carolina. I first used the Bad Horse with my pedal steel and I really liked the way it sounded, giving me a little bit of overdrive but still having a clean sound to it. I tried it with my six string rig on a Blues/Classic Rock gig and I was really impressed with the way it gave me a natural overdrive sound, while still keeping the integrity of the amp. I've seen the term "transparency" used to describe this in ads for boutique overdrive pedals. The Bad Horse won't give you a heavy distortion tone, but it is still enough overdrive for a Blues, Blues Rock type sound. If you end up trying one, let me know what you think.

Thanks Bob,
The Bad Horse really does sound like what I'm looking for. I definitely don't want too much distotion and I have no desire to obscure the characther of my Half and Half.
I'm getting paid for a couple of gigs (on bass, I haven't gigged the steel yet) this weekend. Most of that's going to household bills, but I think I can shave of $50 for an overdrive.

I'll let you all know what I think of it if I pick one up.

Karl Paulsen

Chicago
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 7:17 pm    

Ordered it. Will report back when it arrives.